GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA

Go down 
+5
SMTCapeCod
Steak
Street
Pete Roper
TonyL2027
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Empty
PostSubject: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:23 pm

Hello,

I lucked out and found a 2012 GRiSO that I had recognized from a YouTube Episode from SRK Cycles! It popped up on Cycle Trader and once I verified it was the same bike, I snatched it up and had it shipped to Me here in VA from WI. This forum came highly recommended for advice from a forum I joined on Reddit, so I joined up right away.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looking forward to reading and sharing experiences with you all.

Thanks,
Tony

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:12 pm

As mentioned in my other reply as a 2012 do you know if it is rollerised or not?
Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:14 pm

Not yet, hope to find out soon!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:33 pm

What's the engine number? It's the number dot matixed in the shiny part just below the oil filler.

Note that if you're relying on a dealer he/she may simply check the Vin# in the Piaggio database and say that the bike is good because it has 'No outstanding recalls'. This sadly means nothing as there was never a recall for the flat tappet fiasco. The only way to know for sure is to lift a rocker cover and look. Many shops will also say that as long as it isn't making any unusual noises there is no problem. Unfortunately this is not the case. ALL flat tappet engines will fail. Some take longer than others but make no mistake they will, all fail. It is far, far better to fix it before it starts making a noise. By then further, worse, damage may be occurring to the bottom end of the motor.

You can easily check for yourself if it is a flat or roller top end by removing one of the tank 'Wings', the badge and HT lead cover and then levering up the plug cap from below with a long, thin screwdriver inserted through the cooling tunnel just above the exhaust manifold. DO NOT try and pull the plug caps off from above! You'll damage them. Once they are off removing the rocker cover is just removing the four cover bolts, (On your bike painted red.) and lifting off the cover. There are plenty of pics in various threads of this board showing the different tappet types but if you take a picture of the cam end of the rockers and the cambox underneath we can easily identify them for you.

Note that although the changeover point from flat to roller tappets by engine number is listed in my 'Definitive Guide to Rollerisation' post bikes with engine numbers later than the supposed point of change have been found with flat tappets, (This is extremely rare though so don't fret unduly.) so it is really worth eyeballing the tappets just to make absolutely sure.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:52 pm

Oh, and I checked on Gurgle maps and you're only an hour and a bit from Bill's place in Cross Junction. Not wanting to speak for him but I'm betting that if you got in contact he'd be more than happy to invite you over and show you how to pull a rocker cover and check yer tappets. Bill is one of nature's gentlemen, even though he does that odd thing with the goat.......

Bill Hagan, SMTCapeCod and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm

That sounds like a great time! I think I give the engine number...

Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Tony!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks! Glad to be here!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:29 pm

I had sent a message to the guy from SRK Cycles that it would be less than ethical to sell that GRiSO without confirming and disclosing whether or not it had been upgraded to roller lifters.

He did not respond to me. Although he purports himself to be ever the upright, Christian fellow.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:32 pm

In the United States, there does not exist a rollerized Tenni GRiSO from the factory.

If you want to know if it has been upgraded, you'll have to pop the valve covers and have a squizz.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:34 am

He probably had know idea about that... He moves a lot of bikes... Although his name was on the title, I got it from a dealer in Wisconsin. He must have sold it at an auction or something. I watch his show regularly, it's really good!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:16 am

I think you're right. If this is the bloke who intersperses his videos with weird god-bothering stuff he seemed just to be a glorified bike flipper. Good news is that it won't of been molested by him or any of his cronies and it's probably well polished.

Don't worry about it. It's probably a good, relatively unmolested, low mileage GRiSO and as such it's about the best you are likely to be able to get for a bike that has been out of production for five years.

Make no mistake, you aren't alone in being slightly nonplussed that their new 'Low Mileage' Italian thoroughbred might have a dose of colic! Thing is though that if you really want to enjoy it you can solve all the little 'Issues' Piaggio thoughtfully built into them for not exorbitant cost, (A valve adjust on a top of the range Ducati will cost you more!) you can fix the problems and have a totally reliable 'Bike for the ages'!

Why else would I have two?😁

TonyL2027 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:37 pm

TonyL2027 wrote:
He probably had know idea about that... He moves a lot of bikes... Although his name was on the title, I got it from a dealer in Wisconsin. He must have sold it at an auction or something. I watch his show regularly, it's really good!

Re: Not knowing, see Steak's 6/13 post above.
He did get it at auction, it's covered in one of his Y/Tube videos and if you listen closely you can hear the auction price.

Anyway, carry on-- hoping for good outcome!

Last edited by SMTCapeCod on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:50 pm

Welcome Tony, from another one!

Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:51 pm

I'm trying to find it now
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:55 pm

It's here, he finds it right around 8:30.  There's a sale at 9:30 or so where he's sitting on it so I thought the price being discussed was for the GRiSO, but it could've been a different bike.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by SMTCapeCod on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:29 am

1500?? Lol! I need a new job! That's funny, you can hear that noisy bracket when he starts it up.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 am

Looking at the pics in the top of the thread it has a load of bling on it that is worth $$$.

The Corbin seat and Stucchi belly pan are both *desirable*. It has the best readily available pipe for GRiSO,(Although it will be better with a dB killer in.). The oil cooler cover has been established to be a bit of wank but it won't do any harm if you like it. The bar end mirrors are a matter of taste, (I dislike them but that's just me! Laughing Likewise the tiny indicators do nothing for me. The tail tidy looks workmanlike, just be prepared for the 'Skunk Stripe' up your back if you ride in the rain! I have something similar on the Yellow Peril. Looks good. Gives you 'The Stripe'. I try not to do much riding in the rain! Rolling Eyes

As I probably recited as my usual mantra, rollerise, remap and tune, something you can do yourself with the help of the Gheto, and do the swingarm and linkage grease and, at your leisure unless it starts rattling, do the sump spacer gasket and chances are you'll be set for 100,000 miles.

Spend any 'Toy' money on suspension and brakes.

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:25 am

Bill tossed around the idea of having a roller party at his place possibly...I should get the kit tomorrow, so she'll be ready to get that big job out of the way...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:39 am

It's not that big a job on your bike. Really. Take it slowly and be prepared to ask questions. If you do it at Bill's place he knows my number so I can be pestered at will if you get stuck!

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:43 am

TonyL2027 wrote:
Bill tossed around the idea of having a roller party at his place possibly...I should get the kit tomorrow, so she'll be ready to get that big job out of the way...

Yes, I tossed around the idea, but have had no bites from a couple of local folks who have actually done that job.

Will keep looking.  

And, still willing to provide site (and beer cheers ), but not sure about finding anyone who's done the F2R job before.  If "we" and other volunteers try it, I better belay the beer.  Shocked

Bill

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
TonyL2027
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TonyL2027

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:28 am

Maybe we can get it done with some help with Zoom!
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:51 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The tail tidy looks workmanlike, just be prepared for the 'Skunk Stripe' up your back if you ride in the rain! I have something similar on the Yellow Peril. Looks good. Gives you 'The Stripe'. I try not to do much riding in the rain! Rolling Eyes

Enjoy!

"Somebody" needs to come up with inner fender that can pivot back for rain...
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:43 am

Pete Roper wrote:
I try not to do much riding in the rain! Rolling Eyes

Sorry i did not get that....Was it a joke?

From this point of view in the West Country of England it reads like a joke....

If you try not to ride in the rain here you will need to plan to leave the bike when the rain starts and walk back

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA   New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New GRiSO Owner - Herndon, VA
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next