GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!

Go down 
+4
beetle
wyno
sideshowbob
Lazlokovacs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Empty
PostSubject: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Ok, after my mega motorway journeys last month I started thinking about how nice it would be to just have a little more wind protection on the GRiSO.

after experimenting with a few universal aftermarket screens and deflectors I reached some conclusions, would love to hear other peoples experiences. Here goes;

To a point, the more wind protection you give yourself, the more low down bassy and general chaotic buffeting noise you create in your helmet.

Unless you put a great barn door on it that is set in exactly the right spot, which can give you that beautiful pocket of air. Though, on the negative side, brings with it a kind of disassociation from the GRiSO riding experience and potential trouble in strong crosswinds and looks so out of of place!

Going the other way, riding with no windscreen at all is pure bliss up until 85+mph when you start having to hold on a little too tightly, leading to a lot of shoulder/arm fatigue on long trips.

I absolutely love riding the GRiSO. The GRiSO just has the most perfect engine for touring. Any european touring is going to involve at least several hours on freeways/motorways.

So here's my problem;

I know what I want, I want the incredible feeling of the GRiSO with no windscreen, with no buffeting noise at all. (I swear I ride better and with more control when I can hear the bike better.)

BUT I also want to able to use that beautiful engine to whisk me along at an effortless 90-100mph cruise for hours WITHOUT having the fatigue associated with hanging on at those speeds for long periods. (disclaimer - 20 years of amateur boxing in my life, still do it weekly, in the world of cookies I dare to venture that I'm on the tougher side)

If I take the screen off I'm in Nirvana up to 80mph but limiting myself to an 80mph cruise means my Swanee clad Cali becomes an actually FASTER proposition for long stretches on the motorway as it will let me ride happily enough at 90mph cruise, (as long as there are no real corners to be negotiated!!) And that just cannot be right!!!

The original stock moto guzzi 'touring screen' is really not bad, but it just creates too much of that wubba wubba wubba bassy buffeting noise for long trips (yes I'm wearing ear plugs....)

Anyway, a long winded post, but just wondered if anybody has ever found that holy grail on the GRiSO of just enough wind protection on the body but without sending loads of dirty air to the helmet...??? But we're talking at high speeds here... 80 - 100mph cruise

BTW getting the thickest cheek pads for my Arai and and this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   really helped me cut down the noise, but I'd love to go further.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:36 pm

MRA speed screen worked the best for me.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:23 pm

I started off with an MRA screen, but it kept moving around because it was only secured a 2 points on long arms. The second screen was a Dart Marlin which I found looked good but provided no protection. I finally ended up with and Emgo Venom which has a classic bikini fairing look but provide more protection than the Dart but (to my mine) looked better. The fairing was damaged when the bike fell over in the garage about 2 years ago and I just rode the bike without a fairing for that time. I found riding the bike without a fairing was tiring on long highway trips so I recently got another Emgo Venom and painted it red to match the bike.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am

Yeah..I'm not sure you'd wanna cruise at 90 mph. If GRiSO had a fuel gauge, you would actually see the needle plummeting. Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan, waterbottle and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:33 pm

My speed screen was solid as a rock, up to 144mph, gps, 147 indicated.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:27 pm

This one from Agostini is a large. Works perfectly in the rpm range mentioned in 6th gear. I too cruise at that speed. I am 6'1"[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=https://servimg.com/view/2027096
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:34 pm

I don't believe there's a single windscreen available that will suit everyone, there are just too many factors to consider. What I have found though, on a couple of different Givi fairings and my current Yamaha Stryker shield, is that adding these stiffeners solves the problem of low-frequency vibration. They're made from 8mm stainless tubing with the ends squeezed flat in a vise and drilled to mount as required. Works for me - your results may vary.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Oz1200Guzzi, Bill Hagan, moto and Gootzibird13 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:42 am

sideshowbob wrote:
My speed screen was solid as a rock, up to 144mph, gps, 147 indicated.

I have only been to 126/130 or so, but while the GRiSO and its Dart might have been solid as a rock, I was a quivering mass of protoplasm. Shocked

Going down to the Moto Grappa now to try (again) to get the bead over the rim so I can swap that one out for the new one arriving today.

Have broken two bar ends so far; glad I ordered spares. Actually succeeded (briefly) yesterday after letting the sun heat up tire and wheel, but could not keep get it going beyond that toehold.

I'm going to miss that Michelin Power, but as with Mark's mention of fuel use when cruising at 90 mph, 80 miles of straight roads in Ohio on the way back from Kentucky squared it off. Sad Putting another Michelin Road 4 GT back on it.

Yeah, sorry; not a tire thread, but I need another cup of coffee to keep focused. Very Happy

Bill

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm

I have a dart classic for sale if anyone wants a more classic flyscreen look

It is on Mercato di GRiSO with more pix
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:10 pm

Oh but I do wanna cruise at 90mph...... Mileage is really not too bad if you keep the speed fairly constant

Ok, have piled another 2000kms on in the last 5 days and here's my 2c

Lowering the stock 'large' screen until its actually just slightly over-hanging the headlight gives me a nice bit of torso protection at high speeds but leaves my helmet in clean air....

I think that's as good as it gets

Meanwhile, as I love this engine so much, and I currently need to be able to cover long distances,

and as trains planes and automobiles are currently almost impossible in europe...

my thoughts turn to a norge or stelvio for the long distance/2-up stuff and use the GRiSO as the 'fun' bike...

I imagine same roller tappets, ungreased bearings and sump gasket probs are the same as GRiSO?

Anyone owned both (or all three?)
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:17 pm

agostini screen looks interesting....

unfortunately doesn't seem to be on their website any more...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!   AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

AAAAaaaahhhh I want it all!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: