GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Putting the frame back on the engine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Putting the frame back on the engine Empty
PostSubject: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:39 am

Hi this is my first time putting a CARC engine back into the frame.

I have a hydraulic lift for the engine and suspension straps holding the frame.

My problem is I can't seem to get the angle to start the process - should the engine be nose down or nose up relative to the frame?
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:52 am

hi Johnny
stupid question, but how did you take it out?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:58 am

Chris W wrote:
hi Johnny
stupid question, but how did you take it out?

Engine on the hydraulic lift
disconnect all hoses and wires
remove the engine bolts and the left rear engine plate and drop it away from the frame

Lol - i did try reversing this process - no luck

It seemed to come out straight and easy but i know that is not the case now lol
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:27 am

Are you installing 'short engine' with gear box already in place or the whole thing with gearbox fitted to engine in advance ??
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:43 am

The whole thing.....i thought it would be easier.

Tomorrow i am going to start again with the re-breather box loose and the engine 30⁰ nose down to get the output shaft over the horizontal frame member.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:24 am

Sorry, I missed this. Yes, the first time you do it it's a pain in the arse. It does get better though.

I've found that people, including myself at first, think you just lower the frame back on with it's centreline aligned with the crank. Makes sense but I've found that you need to be able to wriggle the motor a bit off centre to slip the output shaft boss over the bottom frame tube.

I'm in bed now so trying to visualise it, and how I did it, is a bit difficult but once you've done it once you think "Ahh.That wasn't so bad!" and to be sure the next time it won't be!

Having said that the most important thing is not to get frustrated and angry. If you find yourself going down that path? Stop. Walk away. Come back tomorrow. Not only will you find that it will almost certainly slip back in easily but the risk of damaging stuff is relegated to the 'Virtually Impossible' file! When frustrated you will try force driven by anger. That never, ever, works!

Good luck. It's really not difficult. Believe in yourself.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:36 am

It is possible for a partly groomed ape to reinstall the engine & gearbox with just a hydraulic engine lift, a scissor jack to lift the rear of the frame and some ratchet straps from the roof to lift the front of the frame.   jocolor

Pete you are right the engine needs to be raised up to the frame with the rear end kicked out to the right so that the output shaft boss goes past the bottom frame tube.

Then straighten it up and bring it forwards aiming to do up the front mountings before the rear as the front ones seem to have tighter tolerances.

study I had to remove the two bolt cover plate 976554 = so that i could raise the engine up through the front frame mountings with it far enough forwards.
Also removed the bottom mounting of the breather collection box = so i could flop that out of the way to get more head room but then put it back before finally dropping the frame into place

Its in now flower

Last edited by lcjohnny on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : learning as i finish the job :))

beetle and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Jon, good job. I'm imagining it must be pretty much rideable by now.

Are you going to rip the old one to bits to see what went wrong?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:45 am

Still 4hr (at cramped garage worker speed) estimated work. Have been interrupted by cooking dinner party, country walks, frustration stops and laziness aim to ride it Monday
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:50 am

A friend wants to join me for post mortem om old box so that may be Dec or Jan. Old oil showed lots of alumium flakes and steel bits. The visible steel bits were in 2 -10mm long thin pieces rather than chips or chunks. Possibly sheared off mild steel preselector mech by gears? Although i woukd not be surprised to find chips off the dogs inside the bix.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:10 am

I'll be very interested in the post Mortimer.

TLM list the gearbox splitting tools at €110 I think. Worth buying so you can rent them out I'd guess....
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:48 am

Yes, one thing has to come off before it will come out or go in. The breather plate on side of front cover. 1 bolt is behind the frame. Tilt & twisting unit to remove & replace the plate. The only snag.
It never gets easier only more familiar.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:53 am

Back together and running well.

paulbrice, Clancy and Nobleswood like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:21 pm

cheers well done that man!

Check yer PM's

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting the frame back on the engine   Putting the frame back on the engine Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Putting the frame back on the engine
Page 1 of 1