GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

over cooling , high fuel consumption

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

over cooling , high fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:19 am

1. It has been very cold recently (1-5degrees)
2. I've still been riding
3. My fuel consumption has been horrible -up to 10l/100km
4. Normally I get around 6l/100kms
5. It's a 1200SE with beetle map all tps valves tuned etc.

I seem to remember a thread about the bike being overcooled in cold weather as it never warms enough to get off the 'warm up' map, but I can't find the thread!!! did I imagine it?

could that possibly be what's going on here?

cheers

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:52 am

enter "overcooling" in the search box and it will pop up
I think Guzzilooper had a thread about following Beetle's lead and fitting his bike with a T-stat too

if you think it's cold weather related, you can try riding the biker longer/harder ( if you can stand it) to get it fully warmed up to see if anything changes

is your air temp sensor reading correctly? I believe the ECU uses this value for calculations

hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in soon
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:09 pm

thanks, I did manage to find that thread but it doesn't have anything to say regarding my question...

On my last run, it was about 12°c out and after a few miles consumption went back to normal
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:29 pm

The solution that many have used is to block off some of the input vent to the oil cooler.
It would be wise to have an oil temperature gauge to see what is going on though.

Beetle fitted an "Improved Racing" unit I believe. They divert to oil back to the motor bypassing the cooler until the oil temperature is up.

The biggest problem I read is that the oil doesn't get hot enough to vaporise moisture in the oil.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:48 pm

Lazlokovacs wrote:

I seem to remember a thread about the bike being overcooled in cold weather as it never warms enough to get off the 'warm up' map, but I can't find the thread!!! did I imagine it?

You did imagine it. The warmup map is only active for the first 200 engine revolutions.

A simple and easy remedy is to cut out a piece of cardboard and use it to block the oil cooler intake. I used it extensively when I was making the GRiSO maps, as I needed the engine temp to be 100 degrees.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 pm

thanks beetle, good info... so if it's not the warm up map then what's making it use more fuel before its fully warmed up? just inefficient combustion?

or put another way, the cardboard would be a remedy for what exactly?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 pm

It's a bit of a double whammy. If the engine doesn't get up to optimum operating temperature (say, 95 - 110 degrees), the way the correction tables in the map work actually make it run a bit rich. There's two main temperature correction tables, "Fuel-Engine Temperature" and "Pressure-Air-Temperature". The air table is intake air temperature, and if the engine doesn't get hot, the intake doesn't heat up much either, so the corrections add fuel because the ECU is reading a cold engine and intake state.

Blocking the cooler inlet allows the oil to run hotter, which keeps the engine hot, which allows the ECU to correctly adjust the mixture. It's really only an issue if you ride in sub 15 degree ambient temperatures.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:06 am

got ya.

appreciate it.

I got halfway with the thermostat oil cooler project, might have to resurrect it before next winter

cheers
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:26 am

beetle wrote:

Blocking the cooler inlet allows the oil to run hotter, which keeps the engine hot, which allows the ECU to correctly adjust the mixture. It's really only an issue if you ride in sub 15 degree ambient temperatures.

This means large parts of the season here North  Shocked
Maybe I'll have to make some kind of quick fix, a curtain or something...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: over cooling , high fuel consumption   over cooling , high fuel consumption Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

over cooling , high fuel consumption
Page 1 of 1