GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First longer trip observation

Go down 
+9
Bulldog9
AH Head
sideshowbob
rick pope
Pete Roper
beetle
wyno
Street
SinCityChef
13 posters
AuthorMessage
SinCityChef
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
SinCityChef

First longer trip observation  Empty
PostSubject: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:36 am

So, I finally took my new to me GRiSO on a longer trip. I did 145 mile in about 3 hours. I rode within legal speed limits due to a heavy police presence in the area. My average speed was 47mph with top speed of 80mph. I’m surprised of the gas mileage. My bike indicates 45mpg average which is great for a such a big engine.
The bike behaved like it should. Very sporty, well planned on the road. The torque is great. I just loved how the GRiSO handled the twisty road.
 Here are the things I didn’t like. First is the lack of wind protection. Maybe because I’m use to my Goldwing and VStrom, both of which has a really good wind protection. The second thing I didn’t like was the riding position. My legs started to cramp after 1.5 hours. My riding boots has very thick sole( about an inch. I think with a lower pegs and bar risers I’ll be able to cure some of the problem. Overall impression is: What a great riding mashine.
Here are couple of photos I took[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan, Leone, Pawel Spoon and Ham42 like this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:09 am

A great riding machine indeed! Red rocks and a rockin' red GRiSO. Sweet!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:22 am

I bought an Emgo Venom bikini fairing from Ebay for about 75 USD.It bolts on using the headlight bolts. And I painted it red to match the bike.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:07 am

cheers

Great pics!
Lower pegs will help quite a bit!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:33 am

The whole 'You can't tour on a GRiSO' thing shits me to tears. I personally think they're a great touring bike.

Certainly I'd suggest modifying the riding position to suit yourself and sort the mediocre suspension but I've travelled the length of the US West coast on a virtually stock GRiSO and it was one of the most memorable, and enjoyable, trips of my life.

The fact I did a lot of it with the legendary 'Chuck from Indiana' on the almost equally legendary 'Darth Quota' was simply a bonus!

Who lived better than me! Razz

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:19 am

Lowered pegs, and/or a seat cushion, can alleviate the knee problem. I use an AirHawk seat cushion and Knight Design 1" lower pegs. I also use Stelvio handlebars, but they require longer brake hoses. Risers would be easier and cheaper, though not as wide. As for wind protection, it's over rated. I have a very small factory screen that keeps the blast off most of my torso, leaving my helmet in undisturbed air.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:12 pm

Not the most handsome screen, but I put it on for longer rides. MRA speed screen.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
SinCityChef
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
SinCityChef

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:52 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
Not the most handsome screen, but I put it on for longer rides. MRA speed screen.

I just ordered MRA vario. I hope it will help
Back to top Go down
AH Head
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
AH Head

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:13 am

SinCityChef wrote:
So, I finally took my new to me GRiSO on a longer trip. I did 145 mile in about 3 hours. I rode within legal speed limits due to a heavy police presence in the area. My average speed was 47mph with top speed of 80mph. I’m surprised of the gas mileage. My bike indicates 45mpg average which is great for a such a big engine.
The bike behaved like it should. Very sporty, well planned on the road. The torque is great. I just loved how the GRiSO handled the twisty road.
 Here are the things I didn’t like. First is the lack of wind protection. Maybe because I’m use to my Goldwing and VStrom, both of which has a really good wind protection. The second thing I didn’t like was the riding position. My legs started to cramp after 1.5 hours. My riding boots has very thick sole( about an inch. I think with a lower pegs and bar risers I’ll be able to cure some of the problem. Overall impression is: What a great riding mashine.
Here are couple of photos I took[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have never owned the 2 V head GRiSO but just love that same engine /trans combo that they built in the 2008 1200 Sport............ as stated before I believe that to be the mother of all rounders for character/smooooth power/torque delivery.
Its just addictive to own and spend time with out on the road IMHO.

Enjoy.
Ciao
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:36 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The whole 'You can't tour on a GRiSO' thing shits me to tears. I personally think they're a great touring bike.

Certainly I'd suggest modifying the riding position to suit yourself and sort the mediocre suspension but I've travelled the length of the US West coast on a virtually stock GRiSO and it was one of the most memorable, and enjoyable, trips of my life.

The fact I did a lot of it with the legendary 'Chuck from Indiana' on the almost equally legendary 'Darth Quota' was simply a bonus!

Who lived better than me! Razz

I could EASILY tour on my GRiSO, but chose not to. I leave that duty and svelte destroying racks and mounts and GPS and screen Blaa Blaa to the 1200 Sport.  The ONLY issue I would have with the GRiSO on a 1K 8-10 hour day is that it's hard edged where the Breva Chassis, brake, clutch, etc is soft. The Breva/Norge has a velvet glove over the GRiSO rawness...... But, it is eminently capable of touring especially with lowered pegs and raised bars.  I still say the GRiSO Stock Seat is the best I have had, and the only seat I havent tried to replace. I regularly do 8-10 hours on the GRiSO, but not for overnights, just day trips. I do NOT want to spoil the look with all my touring crapola.

Still... YMMV

Last edited by Bulldog9 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:11 pm

wyno wrote:
I bought an Emgo Venom bikini fairing from Ebay for about 75 USD.It bolts on using the headlight bolts. And I painted it red to match the bike.

I see a couple of Emgo fairings on Ebay...bought one and tried to fit it to the GRiSO to see how different it would be vs. the Dart Marlin I've been running for a couple of years.  It seems a bit wide at the spots to anchor with the headlight and the bottom rubs on the forks.  I was hoping for much more solid plastic but it's quite flexi...wonder if I should opt for another model from Emgo.

Did you by any chance make any modifications (spacers) or cutting of the fairing to make it fit you could share?

Any close up pics of it mounted?  Thanks!

I'm tempted to take the GRiSO to Cedar Vale this year rather than the Norge just to see how I and the bike will do on a multi day trip...it's all setup with touring bags, tank bag and Corbin seat, lowered pegs and running great...might even run a few days thru the Arkansas twisties on the way up just for fun. The bike is long legged and easily runs at high speeds, could be a fun steed for a 2500 mile week of riding around.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:29 am

[quote="AH Head"]
SinCityChef wrote:

I have never owned the 2 V head GRiSO but just love that same engine /trans combo that they built in the 2008 1200 Sport............ as stated before I believe that to be the mother of all rounders for character/smooooth power/torque delivery.
Its just addictive to own and spend time with out on the road IMHO.

Enjoy.
Ciao

Having both an 1100 GRiSO and 1200 Sport, they do have the same base character, but the 1200 has much more grunt and in the Breva Chassis is a much smoother and 'softer' overall.

I had an 8V Norge, and didn't like the motor at all. Sure over 6.5K RPMS it screamed but below that I preferred the feel of the 1100 and 4V motor. After dumping the colostomy bag Catalytic convertor for a cross over, and 3-4 adjustments to the map I finally got the motor to the same low and mid RPM feel I found addicting in the GRiSO, but caught the MGX-21 bug and traded the Norge. The Batwing Wonder lasted 9 months and I then grabbed a 1200 Sport. Hope to take it over 90K miles this summer.

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:52 pm

just bought the lowest knights design foot rests: pure black metal
the vibrations are so minimal, one does not need rubber ones.

sitting position is much better now. it would be painless, if i did not develop a permanent pain last year Sad
might take another year to go away again:

i would not wait too long with that
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 am

Different sized bodies..
At 100kg, 5'10" (1.76m) and a 29" (74cm) inside leg, I find the standard bars and footrests really comfortable.

If I sit forwards in the seat i am comfortable for 8-10hr days 600+miles (1000km) of UK-style "A roads" - like this,  

another 20mm of foam in the saddle has made the rear comfortable for Wendy for 200miles.

The engine is a blast for touring like freight train with a turbo Very Happy. On long runs you realise a sorted GRiSO is the true successor to the Le Mans

Btw i would not have been able to do any of this with the original spring rates lol!

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:16 pm

I absoutely love touring on my GRiSO, gives me a similar feeling to long distances on my lemans V back in the day. Interestingly, sonce I went to Jota bars up front, I no longer need a windscreen, just a big f off tank bag and I'm all good. Guess my body is positioned in a more aerodynamic way. Gave the bike it's quick post winter hose off the other day so I guess I should snap some pics for y'all before it's covered in bugs and crap again...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First longer trip observation    First longer trip observation  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First longer trip observation
Page 1 of 1