GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Carbtune users

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:23 am

Hi everyone, I'm reaching out to all you Carbtune users out there.

I bought one last year and I have only used it 2 times, so no big experience acummulated so far...

First question is about the o-rings from the brass nipples to screw on the inlets - I make mine fingertight, and not to tight, but I am able to see the small rings flowing out of the contact surface (the heat from the inlets helps...). Should they be replaced by some soft washer? Can this cause any significant leak that can influence the readings?

Also, idle adjustment seems fine, but I'm not getting very stable readings at 3500-4000...I adjust it, it looks fine, then I stop, ajust the TPS, and when I try again to confirm I get slightly different readings...Sometimes a couple of blips in the gas can do it as well.
I saw a couple of videos in youtube and I understand this can be normal, to a certain extent...
On the other hand, can this be related with other issues ?: dirty TBs, leaks in the system (like the one mentioned above), bad calibration of the Carbtune,...

Regarding the dirty TBs possibility: is there a maintenance, accessible to the common mortal, that can be done on these things (spray cleaner Question )?

Your help is appreciated
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:34 am

Do you mean the bell crank, not the TPS? You adjust the bell crank at 3500 - 4500, then reset the TPS after the balance is close. It will never be perfect, so don't try to get it perfect.

After the high speed adjustment, then you open one of the air bleeds to get the idle balance right. This also affects the high-speed balance somewhat. Seeking perfection leads to madness.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

JohnA and fruk like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:43 am

I did like you said Beetle, and followed the instructions from Pete's video on Youtube.
Adjust the screw in the bell crank at 3500-4000, kill switch, TPS reset. Then, just to confirm, I started the engine again, go up to revs, and then sometimes some fluctuations...
But I'm more relieved with your statement now....So, not a task for perfectionists....I guess you must get the feeling of it...

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:49 am

You are dealing with parts that are made to a tolerance and that will, (And do!) suffer wear in use. Every time you open and close the throttle the resting point of closure and the precise openings as the throttle is moved are going to change minutely, and more as wear occurs. You just do it the best you can, with care, and don't expect miracles or perfection.

What you will find is that doing it from time to time will be better than not doing it!

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:08 am

Hi Pete,

Glad you stepped in.

And what about some 1st level maintenance (read: cleanning/lubricating) on those TBs. Is that something that can be done without the risk of ruinning everything?
We know that now and then there's some engine oil getting there, and with heat and time it will turn to some sort of sticky stuff sitting on the butterfly valve seats and TBs walls....I guess this can also influence the stability of the air flow and depression values...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:21 pm

Guzzi recommend removing and cleaning the TB's every 20,000km. In my experience this is unnecessarily often but cleanliness and battling wear are the very reason why I bang on about not over-filling the engine with oil and by over-filling I mean not adding any more than it wants rather than going by some arbitrary amount designated by the factory or marked on the dipstick. Let it find its own level and leave it there.

It is also the reason why crap like 'High Flow' air filters should be avoided as they don't filter very well and hence you get grit in the TB's to make a nice grinding paste and why it is important to ensure that all drain hoses and the vent hose and stepper hose are affixed properly to the airbox and, in the case of the drains, plugged.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:40 pm

thanks for the info pete, but how do you clean the TBs???? there have been a few threads on here, but no consensus from the gurus.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:52 pm

Pull 'em off and give 'em a good spray with sensor safe TB cleaner and any really mucky bits have a scrub with a toothbrush. Makes cleaning yer teeth taste a bit odd afterwards but it's only every 40,000km or so.......

GhostBullet likes this post

Back to top Go down
SemperVee1
Carlotto
Carlotto
SemperVee1

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:06 pm

Adjusted TBS and reset with Carbtune and so smooth now and I only got within 1 line of each in balance. Perfect is the enemy of good here.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:55 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Pull 'em off and give 'em a good spray with sensor safe TB cleaner and any really mucky bits have a scrub with a toothbrush. Makes cleaning yer teeth taste a bit odd afterwards but it's only every 40,000km or so.......

Do you think it is a good idea to apply a drop of oil on these spots, or will it just accumulate dirt with time and make things worse than better?......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:19 am

No! Leave them the fuck alone!

Back to top Go down
Matias
Biondino
Biondino
Matias

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:31 am

Laughing I can feel your trauma with TB issues Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:47 am

Pete Roper wrote:
No! Leave them the fuck alone!

Very Happy

As someone who appreciates straight talking, this is an outright classic

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carbtune users Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbtune users   Carbtune users Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Carbtune users
Page 1 of 1