GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Please help me diagnose

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

Please help me diagnose  Empty
PostSubject: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:05 pm

I just bought it from a guy in AZ, it ran fine there, no issues. Then I had it shipped down to key west where I live, and I can't figure out this idle and shut down problem. I've cleaned the air filter, cleaned and re-gapped the spark plugs, checked and charged the battery (just ordered a new one for good measure) and added sea foam to the fuel and filled up for good measure. As far as I see there's no leaks or cracks in any of the tubing, I'm at a loss as this bike is new territory for me and I'm reading that it's finicky to learn, but once learned it's easy to master. Below is a link to see the problem in action. I can only keep it alive by letting the throttle stay open, low RPM's are the threat. I have to break up the link to post, I'm new here

https :// www . you tube . com / watch?v=YDdUAb-VItQ&feature=shared
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:44 pm

Allow me.

When you cleaned the filter, did you notice any oil in the airbox?

I'm wondering if any hoses or connectors may have got shaken loose during transport? Does anything look out of place?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:50 pm

Have a look at the left hand throttle body. The throttle stop screw which is a 3mm Allen key grub screw goes through the pillar cast into the TB and acts on a bar connected to the butterfly spindle of the throttlebody. Is it still sealed with paint? Or has someone dug the paint out and moved it?

Likewise the two ball joints on the linkage rod between the two TB's. Have they had the sealing paint on them disturbed?

Do you know how to balance the throttlebodies and do you have the tools required to do it? You don't mention checking the valves either? All these things need to be done holistically so you know a solid baseline to start diagnosis from. My first guess at this time is someone has tried to alter the idle speed by messing with the throttlestop screw/s

Bill Hagan and JohnA like this post

Back to top Go down
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:49 am

Haven't tried any of those things, will have a look today and update. I have not done those before but I'll check the owners manual and try to track everything down. I only have the basic mans tools, of it's anything fancy I won't know til I see it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:33 am

You will need a manometer of some sort and a program and cables like the wonderful Guzzidiag set up. This has been covered thoroughly in the technical section so there is no need to repeat it again here.

It is important for you to realise though that throttlebodies and the way fuel injection works is not 'Like Carbs' and randomly fiddling with screws on the TB's will, or may already have if done by the previous owner, have put you in a world of pain.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:39 am

Chris,
If you go to the “member tech archive” there’s a lot of good info there on many subjects. If you go to YouTube and put in “Pete Roper moto guzzi” you’ll find Pete’s do’s and don’t for for throttle bodies. You want to watch that. You’ll see other videos there too. There are a couple from Blue Marble Rider on other tuning things that Pete mentioned. BMR took the info Pete and Beetle have provided here and made theses videos. I remember even Pete saying they were good.
Pete and Beetle are incredible and their info will get you fixed up if it can be done. Would be nice if a member was close to help you that knows their way around the bike.

lcjohnny and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose    Please help me diagnose  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Please help me diagnose
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: