GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank

Go down 
+24
Kiwi_Roy
charliebigonions
Steveo
davem
ratso88
Bulldog9
Scot p
bahamazoo
MrGPz
rboe
Fissionmaker
grisoinginlisbon
Tolle09
Oz1200Guzzi
tocino
TalkingGriso
Grisonut
keenerkeen07
mark111
Bill Hagan
jeremyb
Pete Roper
beetle
yrunvs
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Grisonut wrote:
That's what I'll do... raise the top section but re-using the original plastic tank is a nono.
It will never work. The two halves won't stay bonded for too long that's why I'm starting from scratch with metal...

Plastic welding my friend bonds the two parent materials together as good as mig welding steel.
My plastics welding guy had made many pieces for me, including new battery tray and modifying the seat base, never an issue.

He has also modified the plastic tank on a KTM 950 desert racer for greater capacity, that bike gets more abuse than you'll ever throw at a GRiSO. No problems either.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:53 pm

We have that ethanol crap in the US in a lot of States that includes mine... I ain't risking this.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:22 pm

The GRiSO is what it is , the tank is built for style as well as for fuel ....if your worried about range then carry fuel like Tolleo9 suggested and be done with....I do not get this
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 pm

My mate Peter has just bought this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Part of our plan for the lead up to our retirement is to do a lap or figure of eight of Oz. He was tossing up between the Sport and a V7-II. As it was he got an insane deal on the Sport but if it had gone the other way it wouldn't of mattered, I would of just taken the Mana rather than the GRiSO.

Sure the GRiSO has a small tank but really, on a lap of Oz I'll just make sure I carry a couple of fuel bladders for the long, empty, bits in the North West. Even the Sport with nine litres more fuel might be stretching it a bit up there but it's all really fairly easily dealt with.

For most of my 'everyday' riding I never worry about fuel. Sometimes if I'm a bit off the beaten track I may have to put low octane petrol in it but it still runs OK. I haven't run out yet.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
there be bad things in the bush
That has not been my experience 'so far'. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Niiiiiiice. I like those 8V Sports Pete. Laughing
Back to top Go down
grisoinginlisbon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
grisoinginlisbon

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Does anyone know what the tank is made of? Polyamide? Nylon? Something else?
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:53 am

Same colour scheme as mine, never seen another on the road yet here other than a black one. Well happy with it, mine had only 600 miles on it with a 2 grand saving on new, previous owner had found it too heavy apparently, must have been Mr Bean Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:37 pm

I wish that Sport was sold here in the States.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm

rboe wrote:

Get a Breva, put the Sport bits on - voila!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:39 pm

I agree^^^^^^^^^.
That reminds me... I have a riding budy that sold his Breva (07) and I'm supposed to pick up the passenger seat cover for my GRiSO.
I made a solo seat and I'll try to fit this thing on it.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Grisonut, did you do the mod with the larger fuel tank?
I ride with a KTM1290 that gets over 400kms when riding moderately, whereas I get about 210kms when the light comes on.
Riding sedately gets me about 240kms (KTM 480kms)

I need to get at least 350kms to a tank, we would normally do this sort of distance between stops.

Apparently, my only other option is to get a long distance bike.

Has anyone tried to modify the existing tank?

Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Grisonut, did you do the mod with the larger fuel tank?
I ride with a KTM1290 that gets over 400kms when riding moderately, whereas I get about 210kms when the light comes on.
Riding sedately gets me about 240kms (KTM 480kms)

I need to get at least 350kms to a tank, we would normally do this sort of distance between stops.

Apparently, my only other option is to get a long distance bike.

Has anyone tried to modify the existing tank?
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 am

rboe wrote:

er, it was..... I bought one and shipped it back to Oz....
(well okay, the 2V was, but you know its a better donk!!)

and they get +450km to the tank full...
sorted!

mind you, I've always thought there was a huge waste of space underneath the tank above the airbox where you could easily get another gallon....

however my ass or bladder won't go that far Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 am

I agree with the range on the Sport. I bought one in 2013 it was the worst thing I ever did. the issue was with the fueling, not knowing what I know now, I put a power commander on it. had it on the dyno with the PC technician, it ran even worse.
It was that shit, I did 5K in two years and then traded it on the GRiSO (20K in two years).
It was that shit i lent it to my brother who put on 2k of the 5k.
I just hope whoever bought got it sorted, because it would be nice if the issues were sorted.
Still, wouldn't go back just for a longer range.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 pm

yrunvs wrote:
When you do this tank reconstruct will it be eye appealing? I know you fellas from Australia have bigger distances to cover (Grisonut I realize your in the USA) and such but I am more concerned with aesthetics....In other words I really like the naked motorcycle look with mid to rear set pegs and an aggressive seating position with substantial HP but the absence of a defined gas tank on the GRiSO is what I would like to change if I were to own one. A 90 HP Triumph Thruxton with the GRiSO suspension and brakes would be ideal.
So for me looks out weighs function.

GRiSO suspension and breakes are not exactly very good, I havent riden a thruxton but they must be shite if your thinking a Girso is an upgrade...

I loved my GRiSO, for the looks and the guzzyness...

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:33 pm

MrGPz...
I didn't have a chance and mostly the time to do it.
I have been involved in different avenues with my business so most of the recreational stuff got put in the back burner and that includes motorcycles.
I'm just a riding fool lately. lol
Not much time to do anything else to the bike lately...

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Having spent many years and miles on my 1979 Yamaha Xs 1100 (3.9 gallons to walking and maybe 120 miles) infrequently running short of a gas station I usually carry a 1 liter bottle of fuel if I'm going to be in an area without guaranteed gas stops. Except that one time... lol. The first time I took my Norge on a longish Ride up Mount Rainier. I was happily cruising along with a quarter tank of fuel about halfway down the mountain from Paradise when the motor suddenly shut off... It was the first tank of fuel so I had no idea the gas gauge stopped moving at a quarter tank. because I was going downhill I actually was able to Coast about 8 miles before for momentum was gone. Of course it was almost dark and there was no cell phone service.

After a couple minutes of troubleshooting I figured out I had run out of gas. Of course I had visions of being stuck in the forest with grizzly bears as company so was glad I had a gun. One of your typical northwestern hippies drove by I waved him down gave him twenty bucks and asked him to go buy me a gas can and gas. He was the only car that came by and came back two and a half hours later with a 2-gallon can filled with fuel. Started it up and away I went.

so while the idea of doing some custom work on a GRiSO fuel tank seems like a cool idea, I think there are enough options these days to carry some extra fuel that there's not enough juice for The squeeze for me to make building a custom tank worth it.

PS..... Bill, Kathi needs to give Cori some lessons... LoL. She'd just laugh at me and say 'see you when you get home soldier....' lol.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:39 pm

wow Mr GPZ, sorry that you had that experience with the Sport.
As you say, if you knew then...
I had my ECU reflashed at vast expense by todd (U$600), who also sold me the PCV (another U$600).
I never fitted the PCV as it ran 'so much better' after the 'flash (that I do for free now, thanks to the ghetto and Guzzidiag) that I couldn't be bothered with the wiring etc etc. It 'ran better' as in it didn't pop anymore and felt faster...
Now she runs even better, with torque all the way, and even uses less fuel.
I've had mine for almost 11 years, and I haven't seen a -for me - a bike to replace it.
Its a comfortable tourer, an able scratcher, even a commuter... and the A2 motor is sweet and simple.
I do like the look of the GRiSO, but I'm 6'7" so he is way too small for me.
The Sport runs hard all day, has easily put in 1000km a day and leave me ready to go again tomorrow.
As they say, each to his own, if we were all the same we'd all ride, er, Hondas  Razz

ps: anybody want a 10 yo brand new in the box PCV??
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I just saw my old Sport for sale...…
I did mention it to the wife, and she started talking bathrooms and such, so I quickly shut up Smile
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Mistake - perfect opportunity to "do a deal" - make it win-win.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Mistake - perfect opportunity to "do a deal" - make it win-win.

Trouble is, I need twice as much money to make it a win-win, after all she already has a bathroom Smile
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Buying new to the stable bikes?

Forgiveness over Permission.

My wife calls the GRiSO "il kitchel". . . Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Right, found a tank on Ebay, it's on its way, by the time it gets here it'll be late Jan i expect.
Still have to see if the plastic is able to be welded? anyone have first hand knowledge?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Plenty of plastic dirt bike tanks have been modified for greater range by local guy over here on the main land
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO with stand alone gas tank   GRiSO with stand alone gas tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO with stand alone gas tank
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next