GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cleaning exhaust headers

Go down 
+23
lcjohnny
2highlander
Bill Hagan
Dilliw
GNORTS
Tolle09
DangWangi
bioman
Fissionmaker
JohnA
Canyon Carver
jomartijr
tocino
akshaydeo
The Saint
Josh.C
CPB
Laker
Triman023
keenerkeen07
Grisonut
Oz1200Guzzi
Spaceknight
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:39 am

Tolle09 wrote:
Imho exhaust wrap looks crap, I've heard of pipes cracking with the extra heat build up. Can't understand why peeps do it, unless you've had a spill and dented one.Ceramic coating is durable so long as a reputable firm does it.
I tend to agree - wrapped pipes, to me, say "rat bike" - they detract from the classy look of the GRiSO. Steak should chime in here - his first GRiSO had matte gray ceramic coated headers, and it looked sweet against the silver frame of his black 1100. I don't mind a bit of bluing or bronzing.

And I'm surprised and amazed at how well those rusty pipes on the Tenni turned out after the buffing. Wow!
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:25 am

You can do all of that work or you can tape some plastic bags around the engine for masking, spray the pipes with Optiglanz, wait 5 minutes then wash it off.

You might have to buff a little with some wax or WD50 after your done but that's about it.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:53 am

Dilliw wrote:
You can do all of that work or you can tape some plastic bags around the engine for masking, spray the pipes with Optiglanz, wait 5 minutes then wash it off.  

You might have to buff a little with some wax or WD50 after your done but that's about it.

George, how long do you recommend that one warm up the engine before putting on the plastic bags?

jocolor

Buon Natale.

Bill

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:
Dilliw wrote:

George, how long do you recommend that one warm up the engine before putting on the plastic bags?

jocolor

Buon Natale.

Bill

No warming required Bill as the stuff (Optiglanz) is the bomb. And sorry it was WD40 or ACF-50 I was talking about. I sort of combined them I guess.

Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 pm

After using Optiglanz you should also use Autosol Antiblau for a finish with great results. Awesome, I swear!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:25 am

I found that 2500 wet and dry using light oil as lubricant then a quick buff with a mop in an electric drill brings the pipes up really nicely.

Not a big job so may do it at every service now.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:01 pm

Dilliw wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:
Dilliw wrote:

jocolor

Buon Natale.

Bill

No warming required Bill as the  stuff (Optiglanz)  is the bomb.  And sorry it was WD40 or ACF-50 I was talking about.  I sort of combined them I guess.

Optiglanz is brilliant stuff.
Back to top Go down
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:46 am

Grisonut wrote:
I just used 1200 grit sand paper with water going in the direction of the pipe, it gives it a satin look.
You have to repeat the process every few months or so but it's a 10 minutes job.

That's what I did too. Love the satin look and the duration of the result
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:02 pm

I like the bronze look myself. After a while the stain where my jacket sleeve feel onto the hot header starts to look like crap. When that happens I dig out the polishing cone, chuck it up in my cordless drill and grab the bottle of REJEX metal polish. Dad's a Gold Winger so he knows all the tricks to keep the metal shiney. Takes bout half an hour per pipe. Looks good for a month slowly darkening up til I'm either bored or sick of looking at it, then it starts all over again.
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:52 am

Hello,

I have 20,000 km on my GRiSO.
I polish the exhaust manifolds with Autosol when I wash them.
They look like new. Like in my avatar picture.

If there is blue discolouration: Autosol 01 D01290 Anti Blue

Greetings
Holger

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Holger on Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:41 am

A cheap solution is to rub the headers with scrunched up aluminium foil and white vinegar (I cannot vouch for aluminum as I have not tried it). The finish is reasonable good, though does require some "elbow grease".

Also, white scotchbrite gives it a good finish, without scratching. Green scratches and other colours get more and more scratchy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning exhaust headers   Cleaning exhaust headers - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cleaning exhaust headers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2