GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

More observations on 8V cam failures.

Go down 
+11
resom
pauldaytona
LBC Tenni
Phang
Oz1200Guzzi
odder
Grisonut
Canyon Carver
Scot p
Guzzi Cat
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 pm

It wasn't a criticism or jab at you. I just haven't seen these problems. Certainly my kit has a lot of preload as well but I full expect it to 'Ride Up With Wear'.

One day I'll get around to fitting it but right at the moment I can't be arsed as my bike is an A5 motor which requires removing the heads and shimming the inlet valve springs and that will be tiresome and dull. If it ain't broke why the hell would I bother fixing it? Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 pm

No worries Pete, didn't take it as a criticism or a jab. Just wanted make sure all was clear from my end.

Don't blame you for waiting for your A5 to need fixin. Funny thing is, since you want yours to fail, it probably won't.....ever, even if you were to take a shovel to it! I am a bit paranoid that mine will fail again and as such.......well????. Suspect  Hope not as I freakin love the bike!

Anyhow, I am interested to know what you think of the ride when you do get around to upgrading the top end in your GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:18 pm

ghezzi wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Interesting thread from GuzziTech - note claim that Stelvio already has a thermostat

some people have no clue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Unfortunately people tend to believe what they want to believe even if there is concrete evidence to the contrary!

Pete
Back to top Go down
resom
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
resom

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:
[i]]

Wait.  Are you saying your Roller Cam equipped engine was starting to fail?  This is the first time I recall reading of any problem with a roller cam engine.  Did I miss something?

Eric

I believe my 2014 A8 motor is taking a shit. RH head is making awful noises. 4000 miles on the clock. Valves were checked/adjusted at 700 miles and again at 3000 miles. At 3000 miles they were still within spec.

RH head has always had a bit "more" of a "tick" then the LH, but I never really worried about it. Now it's a constant loud "tick" at idle and worse between 2500-3000 RPM. At a slight-load cruise, it sounds like a bag of screws are being tossed about inside the valve cover. As soon as RPM goes below 2500 or above 3000, the noise is a lot less. On decel as the motor goes thru that RPM range (3000-2500) it does the same thing, it sounds horrible. The noise is getting worse on a daily basis. LH head sounds perfect.

I will pull the valve cover this weekend to have a look. Anyone have an A8 failure?

This is my mode of transportation, so I'm a bit pissed. Traded up a GS Boxer for the Guzzi. Boxer had 60,000 on the clock with no issues.

~
Back to top Go down
resom
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
resom

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:
]My 2012 coughed up in August at about the 10,000 km mark. I was notified of the damage to the cam rollers while it was having it's 10k service and with only 2 months left on the warranty.

For the record, I have not ridden in the rain. I have ridden up through mid-nov. (some short trips but most more than 20-25kms each way) when temps are at about 8-15deg.. Storage has been a mix of indoor for winter and covered outdoor spring thru late fall.

Just prior to being notified of the tappet / cam failure I had hit a high point for mileage. The fuel warning indicator made it to just about 200 kms before coming on. I was quite surprised. The engine did not seem to run poorly but as I have mentioned before, I was not sure what I should be listening for. I  did notice a slightly different sound to the engine but kept questioning whether or not it was just in my head.

Also - she was backfiring quite a bit when earlier on she was not.

Wait.  Are you saying your Roller Cam equipped engine was starting to fail?  This is the first time I recall reading of any problem with a roller cam engine.  Did I miss something?

Eric

I believe my 2014 A8 motor is taking a shit.  RH head is making awful noises.  4000 miles on the clock.  Valves were checked/adjusted at 700 miles and again at 3000 miles.  At 3000 miles they were still within spec.

RH head has always had a bit "more" of a "tick" then the LH, but I never really worried about it.  Now it's a constant loud "tick" at idle and worse between 2500-3000 RPM.  At a slight-load cruise, it sounds like a bag of screws are being tossed about inside the valve cover.  As soon as RPM goes below 2500 or above 3000, the noise is a lot less.  On decel as the motor goes thru that RPM range (3000-2500) it does the same thing, it sounds horrible.  The noise is getting worse on a daily basis.  LH head sounds perfect.

I will pull the valve cover this weekend to have a look.  Anyone have an A8 failure?

This is my mode of transportation, so I'm a bit pissed.  Traded up a GS Boxer for the Guzzi.  Boxer had 60,000 on the clock with no issues
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:16 am

Resom

Wondering out loud here - Possible problem with the spark plug boot on that cylinder?

Eric
Back to top Go down
resom
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
resom

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:53 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:
Resom

Wondering out loud here - Possible problem with the spark plug boot on that cylinder?

Eric

Eric,

Not sure what your meaning is...? I don't think there's any issues.

The spark plug boot comes out pretty easily because I added a slight bit of dielectric grease to the outside of it. When installing the boot it "snaps" onto the plug nicely.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm

I've read that they (the boots) are fragile. I was wondering if yours was damaged and shorting out on the head - causing poor running. Now that I type this, I'm not sure if the poor running would only happen at certain RPMs. Likely not?
Back to top Go down
resom
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
resom

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Guzziboy66 wrote:
I've read that they (the boots) are fragile.  I was wondering if yours was damaged and shorting out on the head - causing poor running.  Now that I type this, I'm not sure if the poor running would only happen at certain RPMs.  Likely not?

Hi Eric,

The bike actually runs good/normal. The exhaust note is normal. Engine note is not. If the cam/tappet mech is going I'm sure it will start running shitty. It's getting worse on a daily basis, so....?

I'm gonna have a look in the valve cover tomorrow. If I don't see anything I'll drop it off at the dealer and let them troubleshoot it.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Been looking at oil cooler thermostat options and there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. The plumbing on my 8v 1200 sport is much more accessable than on a GRiSO, but may involve a bit of convoluted pipework to fit one in
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Guzziboy66 wrote:
Resom

Eric

Exactly what I was thinking! Thumbs Up

Do remove the spark lead tunnel cover and have a look down the boot tube and look for arcing to the valve cover. You can't miss it if it is there. The motor makes a horrific clatter if the spark is arcing along with a huge drop in power.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am

Tolle09 wrote:
Been looking at oil cooler thermostat options and there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. The plumbing on my 8v 1200 sport is much more accessable than on a GRiSO, but may involve a bit of convoluted pipework to fit one in

The 1200 Sport, if it's a 2V, already has a thermostat. It's only the 8V motor that doesn't.

On the poor running rattler I really do suggest checking for arcing plug caps, it's very easy requiring only removal of the little badge on the lead cover and then the lead covers themselves. Start the bike and look and listen for the sound of the spark snapping to the rocker cover. If you do it in the evening as its getting dark it's even easier.

The cure is also simple, discard the factory caps, snip off the screw connector on the end of the HT lead and install a pair of NGK SB05E plug caps.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:19 am

Errr? Also? The shop that serviced it? They do know that you have to set up each cylinder individually before the valve lash is adjusted..............

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More observations on 8V cam failures.   More observations on 8V cam failures. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

More observations on 8V cam failures.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2