GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA

Go down 
+11
DungeonMaster
tocino
Canyon Carver
motomonster
little750
Bill Hagan
CPB
Steak
keenerkeen07
beetle
Street
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Empty
PostSubject: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:10 pm

My family and I have been spending Thanksgiving at La Push on the Quileute Indian Reservation on Washington's Olympic Peninsula for over thirty years. Some of you may have read Steak's report of our annual New Year's Day Ride to Neah Bay - same part of the country. Beautiful scenery, awesome roads, and very little traffic. There are cops out there, but the radar detector did its job for me this time.

Of course, this time of year the weather can be a real factor as it is usually cold and wet. This year before heading out I had Steak come over and check my TBs and Beetle's map as the bike had been idling way too high. He worked his tweeky magic and managed to sort everything out for me and I had a great ride out on Thursday. It rained most of the way, but my gear did a good job of keeping me dry. I ride alone on these Thanksgiving trips and Esther takes the car loaded with food, supplies and dogs. She's definitely a keeper.

So the re-installed map worked wonderfully though I did notice a couple of things; one, at certain speeds/rpm I could hear a high-pitch whine. Couldn't put my finger on it and it wasn't consistent. It was almost like a vibration hum, but as I said, high-pitch. Of course I wear earplugs so I took a short ride without them and didn't hear it at all. Hmmm. And two, while it started right up, on Saturday morning it was so friggin' cold that the bike took a long time to warm up and when I tried to rev it a little before it was fully warmed up, it bogged down and died. Restarted right away and I just let it idle until it was warm and then it worked flawlessly all day. I'm sure the oil was just thick and cold. There was ice on my gas tank and seat. That's pretty damn cold. In fact, I went out with it to check on the road conditions and to get somewhere where I could get a weather forecast and found that they were predicting even lower temperatures for Saturday night - down into the low 20s. So at that point I decided I'd head home on Saturday instead of waiting until Sunday. Esther and the others on four wheels came home yesterday as planned, but I figured if the roads were icy on Saturday, they'd be even worse by Sunday. I took the South 101 route as we've encountered bad road conditions in the past going the other direction around Crescent Lake, both on 101 and 112 when the weather gets dicey. If you look at a Google map, you can see that the Olympic Peninsula route is a big loop and you can get home by heading north or south. There was snow on the sides of the road all the way to Ocean Shores and some of those perpetually shady corners looked a little scary. I kept it down close to the speed limit (I know, that never happens), and even waved a couple of cars past me (horrors!). Stopped in Aberdeen for a late lunch and got to Olympia just before 4:00 PM. That's when things really got weird. I-5 was PACKED and there was black ice on several of the bridges/overpasses. There were four accidents between the Tacoma Dome and South Center Mall alone (a span of about 25 miles)! It took me two full hours to go the sixty miles home from Oly to Seattle on the freeway. And of course, the last hour was in the dark which made it even spookier. Anyway, I made it home safely and I'm glad I left a day early. Everything here is pretty iced up. Here are a few pictures, enjoy.

GRiSO ROSSO at Pillar Point (Hwy 112 - Strait Of Juan de Fuca Hwy.):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cabin 32 - La Push Oceanside Resort:

Cabins - La Push Oceanside Resort:

Tsunami Hazard Zone: (In case of earthquake, go to high ground or inland)

Foamy surf:

Olympic National Park:

Snowflake of coldness:

Ice on tank:

Treacherous conditions - Quileute Airport Road near La Push:
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Top ride report! Thumbs Up

Ice on tank= Brrr! Good cold weather test of the map. Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 pm

the Olympic Peninsula  certainly is beautiful , its been too long since i have ridden it..
Nice write up Street ..brings up some great memories.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Too cold for me!!! Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full...

Thanks for sharing the trip Peter. Reloading the map wasn't so necessary, but a re-balance of the TBs and then re-setting the CO to -3 to address the high idle seems to have done the trick. Might need to look into tweaking the map a bit for sub-freezing temperature start-ups. Or just live with the extended warm up times.

I had the same issue with the Mistral High Pipe map on Sunday night. Really friggin' coldness made for a slow warm up, but it finally got there.

Are you ready to go back out there again on 1/1/2015?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 am

Do you think the long warm is an issue, or is it something you can live with? It will never get that cold here for me to test. As long as the engine starts without having to over crank it, I'm not too concerned.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:46 am

Good looking bike. Nice pics too. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:04 am

You are one hardy sonofagun.  With that forecast, I'd have rolled over, cancelled my reservations, and ordered turkey pizza!  

Oh, I forget.  PNW.  That's always the forecast.  Wink  

Seriously, very nice pix.  Especially like the ice on the tank.

And, maybe I need to drink less coffee in the a.m., but the sea foam and black flotsam makes me see a polar bear's head here.  Very Happy

Thanks for posting.

Bill

P.S.  Red Grisos rock.  They are the "Real SE's."  cheers
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:12 am

Can't see it I think maybe less a.m. coffee.
Back to top Go down
motomonster
Carlotto
Carlotto
motomonster

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:39 am

Ouch. Nice ride; hurts just reading about it. Your oil cooler cover cracks me up.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:01 am

I must admit, I'm kind of surprised at the reaction to my oil cooler cover. I thought it was brilliant! I guess my aesthetic sense is different from regular peoples'. Oh well, fuque 'em. My bike, my louvers.

In answer to other questions/comments:
1. Steak, yes, I'm always up for Neah Bay on New Years' Day! LOVE my electrics!
2. Beetle, I don't think the slow warm-up is necessarily a problem that needs fixing. On most cold days I'm taking the bike out of my heated garage and it warms up normally. The situation over the weekend was unusual in that the bike sat outside in the cold and wet over night. Just had to give it time to get its circulation going. She started with no difficulty so I'm pretty sure I can live with it.
3. Bill, is this the polar bear hallucination of which you speak?

Back to top Go down
motomonster
Carlotto
Carlotto
motomonster

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:29 am

What cracks me up is the vaguely coal-burning look of it, as if your cooler was the firebox of a steam engine. There is definitely a rustic genius to it.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:17 am

Good story. I see the Polar bear, but facing the other direction.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:46 am

I think more than coffee is being drunk around here! Smile

Street - you are a strong man riding in those conditions! I think putting an orange light behind your cover would complete the "Brazil" (the movie, not the ountry) effect. I like it!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:06 am

I'm sure I have no friggin' clue what you guys are talking about...

Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 am

Bwahahahaha!
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 am

If I may make a slight modification to "keep it GRiSO":

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Now yer talkin'!

“Danger + Survival = Fun.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:17 pm

tocino - methinks thou art even more daft than I.
Back to top Go down
motomonster
Carlotto
Carlotto
motomonster

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Street wrote:
I'm sure I have no friggin' clue what you guys are talking about...

You should totally do that. I mean, like, you just HAVE to. bounce
Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:46 am

Nice thread and some good laughs! Glad you and yours had a nice time. I like traditions! BK
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Street wrote:
I must admit, I'm kind of surprised at the reaction to my oil cooler cover. I thought it was brilliant! I guess my aesthetic sense is different from regular peoples'. Oh well, fuque 'em. My bike, my louvers.

In answer to other questions/comments:

3. Bill, is this the polar bear hallucination of which you speak?

Yes!

I had been wondering if I had a drop or two too much grappa with my espresso.  

BTW, I like your grill mod.  That said, I've not had the warping happen to mine and I've ramped it up on some hot days.   As mine is a 2010, isn't likely mine's a "new, improved" version, either.

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:46 pm

In freezing temps over night even a stock bike will be shy at warming up so I don't think Beetle's map is really the problem.
When really cold, you sure don't want to miss the first crank up. Batteries have a way to be unforgiving in those scenarios...
Back to top Go down
pjm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
pjm

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 pm

smoking a bit
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:25 pm

If that was a question for Bill I can assure you a man less likely to 'Smoke' you will never meet! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA   Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Weekend - Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Page 1 of 1