GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
Canyon Carver
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Empty
PostSubject: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:09 am

I ordered a discontinued Bell 500 helmet for cheap and decided to attack it with my belt sander to give it some "charachter".
This is common in the guitar world, where players pretend they have a valuable 1950's Fender or Gibson. In fact the manufacturers offer this as a "relic" edition for a substantial upcharge.
I then spray painted portions of it with Rust-Oleum Spruce Green #7737, I then scratched away tiny streaks before it dried all the way. I think it looks good and is a close match to the Tenni bike color. Here's a pic of before and after.
I get bored easy.
Funny thing about the Bell is that it's black liner left a black color on my forehead. Cheap die!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:51 am

Ummmm!

I think you're bonkers.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:59 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Ummmm!

I think you're bonkers.

Pete

Thanks. Takes one to know one! alien
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:13 am

But why would you take an already marginal safety device and deliberately compromise its limited ability to protect your bonce? Seems virtually suicidal to me???

Pete
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:23 am

Pete Roper wrote:
But why would you take an already marginal safety device and deliberately compromise its limited ability to protect your bonce? Seems virtually suicidal to me???

Pete

As my father used to say, when asked an annoyingly logical question, "Why (Y) is a crooked letter and not a W. Razz
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:27 am

Carver,

This makes no sense to me.
People that distress their guitar's so that they look vintage?
That sounds like a poser to me.
No offense, cause I don't think you're a poser. But...
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:34 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:
Carver,

People that distress their guitar's so that they look vintage?
That sounds like a poser to me.
No offense, cause I don't think you're a poser.  But...

Look at the price of vintage guitars these days.
Also there is a trend in old cars and motorcycles/ rat rods, rat bikes, to let things rust, then clear coat them.
Same thing with "distressed" leather jackets. It'a nostagia americana thing, kinda an anti-shinny new toy statement. Notice the absense of chrome on newer bikes?

My other helmets are Shuberth and Arai $500-600 full face.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:35 am

Ah yes, this is the nature of the ghetto laundry line. We each hang our shit out on the line and wait for all the neighbors to come out and give us shit...

Air it out bitches!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:06 am

Steak wrote:
Ah yes, this is the nature of the ghetto laundry line.  We each hang our shit out on the line and wait for all the neighbors to come out and give us shit...

Air it out bitches!

OK, I'll pick up that gauntlet.  pirat

Inspired by Carver's testiculostic approach to helmet design, and undaunted by the flames he earned from the incognoscenti, I decided to do some art of my own, albeit of a more "scientific" nature.  Rolling Eyes  

See the url, below, that illustrates my ballistic experiments with my only-crashed-once-so-it-may-still-be-good HJC modular.

Thought I’d see if I could come up with alternatives to the bureaucratic and expensive Snell, DOT, and EC tests.   scratch

Used an Italian, of course — Beretta 9000 .40 cal — to run these impact-resistance experiments.   Very Happy

Seriously — OK, only partly seriously — I had one of those “watch this” moments (and, no, zero beer, grappa, bourbon, etc., involved), and wondered how “bulletproof” a helmet was, as we all know that our Guzzis are.

Used target rounds.  Biggest surprise was that I fired three rounds and thought I’d missed completely, as unlikely as that was at 10M.  The helmet did not even twitch on impact.

When I got to the helmet, however, saw I’d hit all three.  While hardly a tight shot group, at that distance not awful, and would have been “disturbing” for a living recipient I’d have likely engaged at most closer range in real life.

I knew you’d all want to know about this significant experiment in motorcycle-helmet safety testing.   cheers

"Yes, Kathi,  queen  I’ll be right down to help finish decorating the Christmas tree!”    jocolor

Bill

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:40 am

First of all congratulations on the use of a wheelie bin for your photo expose'. Most here would expect you to lower the helmet, and close the lid.

However I understand the retro bug, having often contemplated an open face helmet and goggles, but may not feel too safe with most of the current offerings. The Davida range impress me most.

So if its just a garage shelf item, great. If you take your classic bike to a show and only use the helmet for a parade lap etc. that's ok. If you use it for daily commuting then I wouldn't bother buying Panadol.

But if you got a $10 head .......................................

All the above is just my opinion, so it don't mean diddly squat if you want to do something different.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:46 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Steak wrote:
Ah yes, this is the nature of the ghetto laundry line.  We each hang our shit out on the line and wait for all the neighbors to come out and give us shit...

Air it out bitches!

OK, I'll pick up that gauntlet.  pirat

Inspired by Carver's testiculostic approach to helmet design, and undaunted by the flames he earned from the incognoscenti, I decided to do some art of my own, albeit of a more "scientific" nature.  Rolling Eyes  

See the url, below, that illustrates my ballistic experiments with my only-crashed-once-so-it-may-still-be-good HJC modular.

Thought I’d see if I could come up with alternatives to the bureaucratic and expensive Snell, DOT, and EC tests.   scratch

Used an Italian, of course — Beretta 9000 .40 cal — to run these impact-resistance experiments.   Very Happy

Seriously — OK, only partly seriously — I had one of those “watch this” moments (and, no, zero beer, grappa, bourbon, etc., involved), and wondered how “bulletproof” a helmet was, as we all know that our Guzzis are.

Used target rounds.  Biggest surprise was that I fired three rounds and thought I’d missed completely, as unlikely as that was at 10M.  The helmet did not even twitch on impact.

When I got to the helmet, however, saw I’d hit all three.  While hardly a tight shot group, at that distance not awful, and would have been “disturbing” for a living recipient I’d have likely engaged at most closer range in real life.

I knew you’d all want to know about this significant experiment in motorcycle-helmet safety testing.   cheers

"Yes, Kathi,  queen  I’ll be right down to help finish decorating the Christmas tree!”    jocolor

Bill

Dang! Nice shooting and sorry for your loss. (the helmet that is) Was that hollowpoint or ball? My .40 is a CZ 75B
Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Have to make sure I don't get shot at ................ What a Face What a Face

I like the distressed look CC. It's all your own now for sure!!

I wanted a full face to go with my Tenni - ended up with this :

Really light and larger eyeport than on most other helmets.

And been looking at these for the summer

Metise Green or Black/White versions
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks Bluesun9,
Wow I really like the look of those two helmets! Had I been able to source that full face where I could try it on for fit, I may have chosen it over my Shuberth S2. It fits me perfect, light weight, no lift at all, great field of view. It has a drop down inner dark shield, that needs to drop a bit lower and is uneven on mine. I met with a factory rep and showed him the issue and he said they would address it and correct it for free.

As to my "art project" Bell, I like fucking with the system and knew it would raise some eyebrows among the conservatives here. That's the fun of it.
Afterall I was voted by my Highschool graduating class of '68, "Most Likely To Burn His Birth Certificate" (when other radicals were burning their military draft cards in protest to the Vietnam war)
Cheers!

Last edited by Canyon Carver on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Canyon Carver wrote:
Thanks Bluesun9,
Wow I really like the look of those two helmets! Had I been able to source that full face where I could try it on for fit, I may have chosen it over my Shuberth S2. It fits me perfect, light weight, no lift at all, great field of view. It has a drop down inner dark shield, that needs to drop a bit lower and is uneven on mine. I met with a factory rep and showed him the issue and he said they would address it and correct it for free.

As to my "art project" Bell, I like fucking with the system and new it would raise some eyebrows among the conservatives here. That's the fun of it.
Afterall I was voted by my Highschool graduating class of '68, "Most Likely To Burn His Birth Certificate" (when other radicals were burning their military draft cards in protest to the Vietnam war)
Cheers!

8)Fair comment CC - Hence why most of us chose the GRiSO and the freedom of bikes. Everything is getting tied down these days.....

I am the Black sheep of my family - had more fun in my life so far i reckon.............

I like the Shuburth quality lids those - tried one on but they are way expensive here. I have also got a Shark S900C with a dropdown sunvisor - good kit.

Also like these -

They look a bit more old school - like the helmets I started riding with. Even this look is coming back

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)   Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of) Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tenni/Bell 500 (sort of)
Page 1 of 1