GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:15 pm

So I've read a fair bit that the GRiSO needs to run hot, and it's not recommended to ride on cool days unless the oil temp remains elevated. Does anyone know the approximate oil temperature range for optimal operation? I live in Vancouver: In the winter it's very wet, but the odd days when it isn't raining, I'd like to take the GRiSO out for a burn without having to worry about causing damage due to inadequate oil temperature.
Also, should I change to a different oil grade for winter riding? Lower viscosity may equate to a lower heat capacity which would heat up quicker (but cool down quicker as well) - Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:59 pm

No need to change the oil. As for temperature? Just get it very close to or above 100*C and keep it there for a while so that the water innthe oil can sublime off. The problem is that the cooling circuit isn't thermostatically controlled so the engine over cools drastically in cold weather.

Make up a baffle for the cooler and buy an oil temperature dipstick. I'll gaurantee that after a few cool trips you'll be able to judge how much of the cooler to occlude. Of course if it's raining you'll never get the oil temp up.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Just fitted a R+R thermo dipstick to my 8v 1200 Sport, did a 100 miles last weekend and on making occasional stops, oil was at the 100 degree mark, despite ambient temp of 7 to 9 C. Weather was dry, would have been interesting to see difference had it been wet. Crucial element has be to run engine long enough at this temp to boil off water vapour, but this is bound to vary
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:33 pm

On very cold days it takes a long time to get up past 95 degrees with 'normal' riding, and that's at 100km/h +. As long as 20 minutes without any doodads to block airflow to the cooler. Sustained high revs in 2nd and 3rd will get it hot once it's 'warmed up', but it it cools rapidly.

The danger is short trips where you don't maintain speed for long periods.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Frankly, I would simply tell you to not worry TOO MUCH about it.  The climate here in Seattle is not all that much different than yours in Vancouver.  I (we) ride year round, even in the cold and wet, and I have never once found any "mayonnaise" under my (or any other's) GRiSO valve covers.

That being said, neither do I ride it on a daily ≤20 minute commute.  Take it out and RIDE it, and I doubt you'll ever have any trouble.  That, and use the recommended oil.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:33 am

OK, I smell what yer cookin'. The issue stems around water in the oil. I've removed the valve covers and there was nothing to be found inside - except for the odd valve train component or two - but no sludge, shavings, or anything that looked out of the ordinary.  Absolutely spotless in my opinion. So if I were take a swing at why there might be any future build up of sludge, I'd have to look towards the crankcase breather and make sure that it's operating correctly. I recall the breather on my '00 Quota was full of gravel...WTF? and the check ball was gummed up. Is the breather on the 8V located in the same place as on the 1100, and if so, how much of a PITA is it to get at?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 am

Breather/condenser box is just behind the steering head. Quota used the frame as a condensor, hence the crap in the PCV valve. 8V at least doesn't have any steel bits in the system.

Just because there is no Mayo in the rocker covers doesn't mean there isn't water getting into the oil but if you have none in evidence? That's a good thing.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks Pete.
Sorry, I was really asking if the PCV was in the same place as on the 1100. I do have the shop manual, but as with my Quota, there seems to be better - sorry, more comprehensive - information to be gleaned from sites such as this. Plus I didn't check the manual yet. When I rebuilt the Quota transmission, the shop manual didn't even have instructions about how to take the damn thing apart. I did however find detailed instructions on the internet - from Arstraila no less. Possibly something that you posted? I'm not sure as it was quite some time ago, but it just seems to me that the shop manuals provided by Guzzi leave more to the imagination than I'm comfortable with.
I'd be tearing the GRiSO down as we speak if my garage - sorry, dining room - wasn't full of shit just to be sure the previous owner took proper care of it if I trusted the manual. But hey, it came with the bike. At least at didn't have to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 am

I too wondered if using 10/50 rather than 10/60 might result in hotter oil, thus helping with the whole overcooling mayonnaise from short rides issue. But then I freely admit that my understanding of these things is limited.

Any chance that the 10/50 would be better for the flat tappets? confused
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:31 am

No.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?    Anyone know the optimal oil temp range? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Anyone know the optimal oil temp range?
Page 1 of 1