GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Removing the dash?

Go down 
+4
2highlander
Pete Roper
keenerkeen07
Yodasoldier
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 am

Ok anybody removed the dash or know's how easy and how to, before i start undoing things? I want to open up the dash to dry and re-seal with silicon as it has moisture condensing in it. Any help or pointers will be appreciated!
Cheers
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:14 am

My dash had condensation in it aswell , after a day in the sun it was all gone .. I think they are vented to allow this .. scratch
If you seal it up tight it may be detrimental ..
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:41 am

It's fairly straightforward, four screws hold the fascia on if I remember correctly, 2.5 allens I think?

I believe the air pressure sensor resides in the dash and sealing the screen alone may not actually fix the condensation problem so I'm a bit ambivalent about it myself.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 am

hmmm.....food for thought...
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:33 am

If there is place enough you could place inside one of those little sacks which are often found in the packings of electrical equipment. They suck the moisture.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Some folks have drilled small holes on the bottom for better ventilation... Seemed to have worked for them...
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:36 pm

And some have covered those holes with goretex pieces so that moisture can get out but not in. No joke!
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:20 pm

the plot thickens....!
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:47 am

Ok .... with the rise of warmer weather due to the big glowing orange ball in the sky, the dash mists up with condensation and then disappears and then condensates and disappears. Its as if there is water trapped inside and cant get out so with heating up and cooling down it vapourises and condednses.

So..... i removed the dash 4 hex screws on front 3 on back cover then 3 screws holding the dash to mount. Removed the dash cable, easily done by pushing the black retaining clip forward and the cable comes unplugged. The idea was to open the dash dry out with warmth and reseal with clear silicon.

But...the dash was very well sealed and just didint want to come apart. There are small retaining clips and rubber seals or sealent, which i just couldnt figure out, without breaking the unit, to get it apart. Seems like a sealed unit, maybe different to to others that people have managed to open up.

So as i had the dash off i decided to use a different method and drilled a small hole in the bottom right corner where most of the condensation likes to appear. Then i took a hardryer and gentle heated the unit from the for a few minutes until it was hot ..hot ..hot..to hot to hold. I then pinched and squezzed the unit a few times which blew air from the hole. repeated this a few times and then squeezed the unit one more time and whilst squeezed put a tiny blob of silicon on the hole, which was pulled into the hole slighty when i released the pressure on the unit and sealed the hole. Replaced the unit on the bike and today it has been condensation free all day in the sun and out the sun!! hopefully this is a fix, only time will tell guess some rain will be the test, fingers crossed.

From what i could see the air temp sensor is separate and resides inside the black dash back cover attached to the dash mounting and remains on the bike when dash removed. Hope this info is helpful

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:13 am

Nice work, let us know how it goes and if its a long term fix, i will give it a go
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:07 am

Hi folks,

I have the same problem and plan on removing the unit to drill and dry it out using the same method. In addition I will shove the unit into a bag with a good handful of rice and leave it in a warm place for a few days. The rice should pull any residual moisture out. It's a trick used to rescue mobile phones dropped in water so worth a go imho.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Angus.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:05 pm

If you can find some, Nitrogen gas or even Argon welding gas. A slow stream bled into the instrument case before sealing would do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am

A few sunny days and some rain too and still condensation free !!!
Back to top Go down
Yodasoldier
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yodasoldier

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Just a further update, still no condensation !!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Removing the dash? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removing the dash?   Removing the dash? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Removing the dash?
Page 1 of 1