GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Battery disconnect without the user code ?

Go down 
+4
EricS
HCSO617
Pete Roper
Ekimyrf
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

Battery disconnect without the user code ? Empty
PostSubject: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:03 am

If I disconnect the battery and dont have the user code (I am trawling through previous owners etc) what issues can I expect when I reconnect ?
Will purely be the error message "dont forget to enter user code" or will it disable the bike or any functions ?

Thanks in advance Mike
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:06 am

The only things you'll loose are the time settings in the dash and the stored trims for the fuelling. It shouldn't trigger any warnings.

If you are getting the 'Don't forget to insert your user code' message on start up its because nobody has ever put one in. The user code is one chosen by the owner and is a security measure. If for some reason the antenna around the ignition switch fails to pick up the signal from the chip in the key when the ignition is turned on, (If the antenna is damaged or the lock has been forced with a screwdriver or the like.) then the dashboard will recognise something is wrong and prompt you to insert your user code. If you insert the right code it will allow you to start the bike and ride home or to the shop or wherever to get it fixed. If you don't have the code? It won't start!

For that reason it's a good idea to put one in. To do that go to the menu and choose 'Settings'. Scroll down to 'Change the code' hold the button down and it will open a screen with the message 'Insert the code'. Using quick presses of the button you can scroll through from 1 to 0, when you reach the number you want pause and then hold the button down and the cursor will move on to the next numeral. Do this five times until you have a five figure code inserted, say 54321, then when you hold the button down the last time the screen will revert back to the menu dash and you can retreat out of the menu. The dashboard has now remembered that code, don't forget it! On my bikes I simply use the first five digits of my birth date as even with my pot-holed memory I'm unlikely to forget that! To change the code again you simply re-enter the menu, insert the current user code when prompted in 'Change the code' and then it will ask you to insert a new code.

If you've bought a bike second hand and don't know the user code as long as you have two working keys you can still change the code by going into the menu and choosing 'Code recovery'. When you choose this function it will ask you the 'Insert second key' and gives you twenty seconds to remove the first key and insert the second. The logic being if you have two keys you are unlikely to be a thief! After you insert the second key it will once again prompt you to 'Insert new code' which you do by following the steps outlined above.

Pete

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
HCSO617
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
HCSO617

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Really good info Pete. I'm the second owner, I'll take my two keys and either change or put a code in.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Pete really appreciate you taking the time explaining this,

I am the 3rd owner and only have one key unfortunatly guess I will have to see if I can track down the other key
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Do, because if you loose it you'll have to buy not just a full lock set but if you don't know the user code you'll need a new dashboard as well. You may well be able to get another key cloned. From your present one [i]but[i] I'm not sure how f this will be recognised as a *second* key for coding purposes as being a clone it is an exact copy of the original so the dash may not recognise it as a different key. I've never tried this though so I'm speculating.

FWIW, because I'm dreadfully paranoid, I have four keys for my GRiSO, (The dash can store up to six!) so if I loose one, or even two, I can still perform all the required dashboard nonsense.

Pete

Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Now why doesn't the user manual explain it that clearly? Thanks Pete...
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:27 pm

EricS wrote:
Now why doesn't the user manual explain it that clearly? Thanks Pete...

Italians!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Hey Mike, read the topic " Key Code recovery" I managed to recover the code for a One Key bike.
You can buy a pair of keys from AF1 in the USA and have them cut, but "Cloning" the key code will leave you with 3 number 1 keys, meaning the dash will think your putting the same key in each time. If you can be lucky enough to guess the code through trial and error, you can then use the dash to program the 2 new keys. You will then have a number 1, 2 and 3 key.
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2017 2:47 am

Just seen this thanks will give this a try
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Why the heck do you need 2 keys please
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:58 am

waterbottle wrote:
Hey Mike, read the topic " Key Code recovery"  I managed to recover the code for a One Key bike.
You can buy a pair of keys from AF1 in the USA and have them cut, but "Cloning" the key code will leave you with 3 number 1 keys, meaning the dash will think your putting the same key in each time. If you can be lucky enough to guess the code through trial and error, you can then use the dash to program the 2 new keys. You will then have a number 1, 2 and 3 key.

Great info. I had a 'generic' key cloned at AF1 recently. Will have to get in and convert it over to key 2.

That was $30 compared to the $122 + $20 milling or so for the OEM key - (the second key you get with this does not have a chip in it).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery disconnect without the user code ?   Battery disconnect without the user code ? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Battery disconnect without the user code ?
Page 1 of 1