GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fork seals and wipers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DougMc
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DougMc

Fork seals and wipers Empty
PostSubject: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 pm

I've developed a pool of oil on my front rim over the winter so it's time to get some new fork seals. Any recommendations? I found seals on MG cycle but no wipers. I also found some SKF low friction green seals and wipers as a kit (KITG-43S SHOWA 43mm GREEN) on the INNTECK site, but they don't list the GRiSO as an application. For GRiSO they have OSB-43S seals (Oil Seal SKF "BLACK COLOR" SHOWA mm 43 43x54x9 Spacer 2.00 mm) but no wiper. I'm not too knowledgeable on suspension, so any help would be appreciated.

The bike is a 2009. I rollerized last summer and it was running great though I haven't remapped yet. Warm weather is here and I want to get going again.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 pm

All-Balls seal & wiper kit # 56-133-1     LINKY

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Replaced mine last summer, bough Ariette an Italian high quality brand.

Ari118 seal
Ari119 washer

These are codes for 1200 8V.

Check their catalog to be sure.

If you are doing the job by yourself, i'll give you aomw hints.
Back to top Go down
DougMc
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DougMc

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. Oddly enough, my bartender offered to do the job, but any hints would be appreciated.
Doug
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Doing it yourself? You'll need a spring compressor, seal driver, 36mm socket and IIRC, a 17mm spanner.

geek

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:16 am

The factory service schedule asks for the fork seals and oil to be changed after the first 10,000 KM then every 20,000 KM. Does anybody bother with this detail?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:45 am

Nah. Change 'em when they leak.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
DougMc
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DougMc

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:31 am

Looks like the Ariette seals would be hard to source in the US, so I ordered All-Balls. If it takes too many special tools I'll take the forks in someplace, but I generally do everything myself.
Doug
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:42 am

Trust me, you dont need any special tools, just use your logic and be creative Smile

1. Hint! Inside the seal there is metal tightening round spring. You can remove it, unscrew it, and when you get straight line, cut it 5-10 mm, it will strenghten the seal rubber and you make it much harder to leak again.
This is tip from our local enduro champion.

2. Always change both fork seals, not just the one that leaks.

3. I tuned my suspension to 4th spring on the forks and used 10w fork oil, results are magnificent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork seals and wipers   Fork seals and wipers Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fork seals and wipers
Page 1 of 1