GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio Fork Seals

Go down 
+4
beetle
Pete Roper
wyno
waterbottle
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Stelvio Fork Seals  Empty
PostSubject: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 am

Shit bugger poop bum. 1st day into a week long trip , Both fork seals are shot. Pissing oil down over the brake calipers.  Have I ever mentioned just how rough our roads are in Queensland. The Stelvio suspension soaks up the motorcross track we call highways extremely well, but 8 hours of shit roads today was the last straw I guess.
Was planning a visit to see Pete anyway. Probably Monday arvo or Tuesday morning. Is this something that can be sorted in your shop Pete ? I'll call you at a decent hour in the morning,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 am

Well, that totally sucks Ron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:56 am

Order a set of HH pads as well, them be fooked.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 am

Try a 'Seal Saver' type thingy on it. It probably won't work for shit but it's worth a try.

If you make it down here we can swap the recently rebuilt units out of the 'Turdio' onto it to get you home and we can swap 'em out again when I come up later this year.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

Wait...what?

Isn't the Stelvio supposed to eat up shite roads?

I think it was just the seal's time to die, bless their non-exitant polymer hearts.

Acid Bath

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:33 am

beetle wrote:
Wait...what?

Isn't the Stelvio supposed to eat up shite roads?

I think it was just the seal's time to die, bless their non-exitant polymer hearts.

Acid Bath

If I'm honest, they have been weeping a tiny bit for a while. I kept telling myself, I'll do it after this next ride. Well shit, I didn't make it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

The 5th Law of Thermodynamics:

Do it immediately or you're fucked.

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Sealmate is the tool to try - about $12 bucks at M/C shops. Should only take 1/2 an hour to get them "ungunked" - maybe it'll help...
Need to pull the dust seals and then clean out the real fork seals. Worked fine on mine but then again mine wasn't as bad as yours are Ron.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 pm

No need to buy one, you can make one out of a plastic ice cream lid..or similar.

Worked for me until seals completely gave up.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 am

I'll give it s go. Temporary fix

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:39 am

McGivered up a seal tool , job done ✅Took 10 mins.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:32 am

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:42 am

May not have healed it completely, but seems to have slowed it up a bit. Maybe there's no oil left Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:49 am

Most likely. lol
It's like British cars... if they don't leak oil, some is definitely wrong with them. Laughing
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:35 am

650 kms yesterday, very little excreting down the legs. I will call it healed up Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:01 am

Win! cheers
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 am

Another 300 kms today so far. Still good. Young to Echuca today for a beer or three.
Pete, I should be over Monday , can I buy you and Jude dinner somewhere. I'll get a room at the Royal
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:48 am

Is it just you or do you have your lovely missus on board? If just yerself we have bed. If the pair of you I'd suggest the Carrington as out spare room with a double has my youngest son cluttering it up Rolling Eyes .

Jude won't be here, she has to be in Melboring on Monday night so if it's just the two of us we can go out and bay at the moon and in other ways act up. cheers

Pete

PS. Good for you to drop in as I have an idea I want to run past you WRT front main bearings on the 8V.

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 am

Just me Pete. I forgot my Goat leggings, can I borrow yours Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:47 am

I will make sure they are moist and? Inviting.......
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 am

Ugh, now one side of mine (GRiSO) is leaking. Very low miles (8K-ish) so I am going to try the plastic trick.  Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 am

Changed out the Stelvio fork seals today. Made a seal and bearing driver out of a PVC joiner and two hose clamps. Tapping gently on the hose clamp with a soft rubber hammer seats things easily Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:52 am

You are a genius Ron - love your "back of the ute" solutions, obviously learned in the "school of hard knocks" and you weren't asleep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am

Shit, that's nuffin, you wanna see how he fixes airplanes in the bush. rabbit
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am

Well, muggins here picked up some 10w motul fork oil today. Reassembled the forks and........ No compression damping. Well just a very tiny bit for the last 2 " of travel with the spring removed.
No wonder this Fat GRiSO floats along so smooth.
Is there a fix for this , or do I shell out for some more cartridge kits. This is starting to piss Ron off Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Fork Seals    Stelvio Fork Seals  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio Fork Seals
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next