GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Shimmy for me baby...

Go down 
+5
Guzziboy66
wyno
Grisodude
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Shimmy for me baby... Empty
PostSubject: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 am

"Brembo" is my current favourite word.

Hammering. Giving it the berries. Going like a dog shot up the arse. You know, you don't have to break the speed limit to be riding 'fast'. At 100km/h, when you're in the twisties, loping through corners posted 50 & 60 on the big G is exhilarating. Rock-steady, on-rails handling. Impeccable if somewhat slow steering. Confidence inspiring is what comes to mind. Not truly fast by any stretch, but loads of fun.

There I am, on my favourite bit of road, bits scraping, fourth gear, tacho somewhere north of 5000, lost in the sheer delight of riding the GRiSO, when something triggers my road awareness. Roadworks? 60km/h roadworks limit?

Shit! There on the apex of the rapidly approaching corner. Freshly laid tar covered with a healthy layer of loose stones, completely covering the lane. I grab a massive handful of front brake, squeezing the absolute fuck out of the lever. From 100 to 30 in the blink of an eye. Tap the rear brake to stand up the big G, and ever so carefully flip her over to skirt the tar patch.

Brembo, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

1. Thou dost not lock-up
2. Thou wash thine speed off rapdily. Yay & verrily.
3. Thou aboundith with feel. Forsooth.

The bastards had patched almost every corner, on my side of the road, pretty much all the way down the mountain. Pretty much buggered my fun.

So there I am, zipping as best I can, as fast as possible (probably faster than I should), skirting the patches, when there's this patch across both lanes! Feck! No way to skirt it, can't brake on it (or unpleasantness would ensue). Grab as much brake as I dare, then release. It's a big patch, maybe 20 metres long. There's lots of loose gravel.

Shimmy. Sphincter puckers. More shimmy. Even more shimmy. It felt like it went on for ages. Visions of scratching my brand new valve covers....

As I clear the patch, I thank the motorcycling gods for blessing the GRiSO with good handling and Brembo's.

Forsooth.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 am

This is a nightmare we all experience from time to time. Glad you stayed in the saddle, Mark

Tony
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:40 am

Hey Beetle
Had a moment like that the other day with a car.
Gravel on the road, yep makes the eyes feel like there going to pop out of your head.
Great to see all good.

Harry
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:21 am

Which mountain are we talking about Beetle? Not the Clyde I hope.
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:27 am

Damn! Sorry for the pucker inducing road conditions but... I really enjoyed reading what you wrote about it! Thanks for that.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:39 am

(Sigh!) Always do a practice run before going through at flank speed, even if you know the road. It always allows you to spot the wallopers too.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:55 am

Oh, and changing to HH pads rather than the FF's fitted as standard works wonders too.

Pete
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:11 am

and changing to the real calipers from Brembo makes an upgrade too. These are not expensive from breakers, lots of ducati/aprilia/ktm/MV with them are getting totaled.  And they fit without anything. Other thing is changing the master cilinder to a radial one.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Why do I bother? At no time did I speed. The brakes work great. No need for an upgrade. There was no need to ride at a snails pace to look for cops, because I WASN'T SPEEDING.

If I'd written "went for a ride had to brake heavily to avoid some gravel and then was forced to ride through some anyway and the bike had a wriggle then I went home the end" it doesn't make for very interesting reading, does it? Please allow me to wax lyrical with the indulgent use of poetic license.  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Indeed, the GRiSO is very comfortable in its own skin...

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:13 pm

That's his damn map!!!  Twisted Evil 
The brakes are shall we say... more solicited now.   Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shimmy for me baby...   Shimmy for me baby... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Shimmy for me baby...
Page 1 of 1