GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front brake discs

Go down 
+5
beetle
klaas123
Tehuelche
avgpetro
MVH053
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MVH053
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MVH053

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi all

Did the front brake discs change through the years at all between the 1100 GRiSO's and the 1200s?

Mark
Back to top Go down

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 pm

NO! Cali 1100 thru V11 etc same.
Monster 900 thru to 1100 etc same.
Best buy are Grimeca discs for RSV4.
Lightest disc on the planet that is a direct bolt on.
They used to be 130 Euro each (from Aprilia dealers only).
Back to top Go down
MVH053
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
MVH053

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Yes they changed. My 1100 '06 had disks made by "Sunstar" - I thought they were Brembo, untill I noticed the logo.

Some 1200s had the "wave" model, made by "Braking" - I installed those when the pins of the "Sunstar" got loose.

Probably (maybe?) some GRiSO have "Brembo" disks, or something else...
Back to top Go down

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 12:33 am

Colour and pattern of carrier may have changed but from memory;
320mm dia, 10mm offset, 6 stud, PCD 80mm.
Back to top Go down
Tehuelche
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tehuelche

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 am

Does anyone know what size screws are used to attach these rotors? I am going to be replacing my front rotors and I know it could be tough getting all the screws out without damage so i want to just reassemble with new. I can't get to the bike this week and I want to get everything I need before I go over and dive into this job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.solonmfg.com
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:50 am

The factory bolts on the rotors are made of cheese, i replaced them by normal stainless allen bolts.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am

M8 x 20.

They are not made of cheese. I reused mine when I changed the discs.

scratch

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:27 am

I had to drill one out (and use well fitting Gedore tools).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 am

Heat helps.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am

Use the correct socket on the heads of the bolts and you should be sweet. By correct I mean if they are hex head, use a hex socket. If the are 12 sides, use a 12 point socket - otherwise they will not come out well
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 am

Correct socket and long breaker bar. Twisted Evil

Technically, you shouldn't use them again. They are highly stressed. Suspect

But, by the snapping of your red suspenders, their strength renewed. Laughing

silent

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 pm

I just fitted two new rotors to new cast wheels and bought (Screwfix in UK) pack of 50 A2Stainless allen bolts for £4.43. 30nm torque & I used thread lock as somewhere else recommended
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 pm

This is my ss supplier:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm

paulbrice wrote:
I just fitted two new rotors to new cast wheels and bought (Screwfix in UK) pack of 50 A2Stainless allen bolts for £4.43. 30nm torque & I used thread lock as somewhere else recommended

Thread locker is a must.

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:13 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Use the correct socket on the heads of the bolts and you should be sweet. By correct I mean if they are hex head, use a hex socket. If the are 12 sides, use a 12 point socket - otherwise they will not come out well

Shit, I always use a 12 point socket on a hex bolt... Stupid me!  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 am

Klaas, not stupid, just not aware. I also did this once and discovered how the heads of bolts can be totally wrecked.

While it may seem obvious now, it isn't always obvious, especially if you are working out of the reality zone.

Many years ago, an old bloke taught me the difference between left handed and right handed shifters. I did not believe him at first, but read some documentation that convinced me.

A few years ago I was doing some work with a young guy from Wisconsin and told him what I knew. He was not conviced at first, but after a while said that he would go back the good 'ole USofA and tell them "an old bloke in Orstralia, told him". I called him a bastard and we went and had too many black beers.

Gotta love learning...
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 am

I love learning Tony, and learn something every day. I started my technical life as a navy mechanic in the seventies and have during that period and after always maintained my own bikes (Triumph, Guzzi) and have done many engine overhauls for others. My bikes have never seen a dealer in all those years so be assured I know what tool to use for what job Wink
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Replacing a stressed high tensile fastener with a stainless steel part is not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:16 pm

True, but no problem at all in this case if Locktite and correct torque is used.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Discs are secured to the wheel with a clamping force – the rotational force is not transferred through the fixing. Most stainless bolts and screws are made from a 304 grade material. This is not classed and high tensile and has a certain amount of creep over time.
In the event of any creep the disc would then be ‘driving’ on the fixings. 304 grade stainless has a very low yield strength and the bolts could potentially fail.
It’s up to you what bolts you use to secure the discs but personally I wouldn’t deviate too far away from the original specification of bolt.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm with you, eeyore.

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Hmmm; I checked and you are right on Tensile strength & use in high stress areas....although lots of conflicting stuff saying that HT steel is used as it's cheap not because it is needed (see below). Anyway, for sake of a few quid I'll change them to HT steel as haven't got tyres fitted yet and wheel is sitting under my desk....funny enough I ordered OEM for rear wheel to avoid sensor hall effect issues :-)

"If Stainless isn’t as strong as high tensile steel is it going to be strong enough?
This is our MOST faq. Firstly it should be made clear that if for whatever reason you require high tensile (HT) bolts you should use original equipment. Secondly if we believed a bolt was not strong enough for a particular application we would not sell it to you. HT steel is used by factories because it is cheap, convenient and saves assembly time. We ran a motorcycle fitted with standard A2 bolts on discs and fork castings etc which were tested on a daily basis for many months and found no problems whatsoever. Not really a surprise when you consider both the hub and the yokes are low tensile cast alloy - the threads on the fastener are actually stronger than the threads in the material. If you need further reassurance - in the seven years we have been selling stainless we have not had a report of a single failure because the bolt wasn’t strong enough."
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Yup. I really didn't want to get involved in this because it is always contentious but what stops the disc breaking free is friction, not 'Pegs'.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 am

I don’t want to bore everyone with details but there are numerous factors to take into account. Threads in alloy are fine if the thread engagement is calculated but you need to remember that fastener characteristics also impact on the item they are screwed into.
Thread fit also plays a big part in reliability. On something like brake discs you would expect 3A but discount ebay items are typically 1B or at best 2A.
Costs? The cost of a bespoke electroplated flanged bolt made in high tensile steel VS stock stainless???
I hope Piaggio or Brembo have based their specification on calculations and lab testing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front brake discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brake discs   Front brake discs Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front brake discs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next