GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Empty
PostSubject: CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)   CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 pm

After getting back from a ride this morning, I started cleaning up the bike. I noticed an oil leak at the bottom of the rubber boot underneath the reaction rod. Its leaking at the bottom of the boot where the boot meets the final drive (where I'm pointing in photo). I had already wiped most of it off, but it was running down that channel in the CARC housing at the back. Its a 2016 GRiSO SE with 800 miles on the odometer, still a virgin and in the break in period. I looked it up in the service manual, but not a lot there on the CARC. Any Ideas or opinions? If I remove the boot, is there an O-ring or seal that might need to be replaced?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Close up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)   CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:37 pm

No o-rings, just the boot and it's clamp. If it's weeping first thing is to find out from where it's actually leaking. If it's from the boot just tightening the clamp may be enough. If it's weeping from the seam between the two case halves it'll have to be split and re-sealed. If the latter it's about 2 hours work for someone competent but impossible if you are a shaved ape!
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)   CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Pete, I was hoping you'd chime in. No shaved ape here, but the misses would probably like that. It appears to be coming from underneath the rubber boot, so I'll try the clamp first. Is the clamp you're referring to a bottom clamp underneath the boot? If so, do I just peel up the bottom of the boot to access this clamp?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)   CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:35 pm

If you have a squizz at the 'CARC strip for bearing replacement' thread you'll get the idea.

Pete
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)   CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:40 am

Got it. Unfortunately after inspecting underneath the boot, it was clean and dry with no oil residue on either the inside of the boot or around the clamp area. Looks like it might be coming from the split in the case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)   CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO) Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC Oil Leak (2016 GRiSO)
Page 1 of 1