GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: 2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO   2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm

A few months back I took the GRiSO in under warranty to have a small slow oil leak repaired at the rear of the CARC, just behind the rubber boot under the reaction rod. I usually do my own maintenance on my bikes, but since its still fairly new (2000 miles on the OD) and its still under warranty for one more year, and I've never split the case on a CARC, into the dealer it went. When I spoke to the Tech, I told him that it looks like its leaking from the split in the case at the rear (looked obvious). He agreed but wanted to squirt powder all over the CARC, the wheels, the frame and anywhere else he could put it to confirm. What a F------ mess it made after they hosed it off and then left it out in the sun so what powder they left on the CARC could dry like concrete.

They contacted the Guzzi Rep, sent him photos and waited for his approval to do the repair. A couple of days later the Tech calls me and says that Guzzi would only authorize replacing the rubber boot on the reaction rod (since it was the cheapest fix). After discussing it, both the Tech and I agreed that probably wasn't the fix, but that's what Guzzi wanted him to try first. So, naturally a couple of months later, its leaking again. Called the dealer, sent in photos, they contacted the Guzzi Rep, so now its going back in so that they can split and re-seal the case.

For those of you who are familiar, is this the correct fix? If so, what is the correct sealing material, I want to make sure that they are using the correct stuff. You can see the oil stains in the split in the case at the rear behind the boot in the photo.
Thanks....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO   2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Oh fer heavens sakes! It's not the hardest job in the world. They should be able to have it done and dusted in an hour max! Why all the palaver with having to call Piaggio? Doesn't anybody use their own initiative any more?

Anyway, I think in the tech section there is a photoessay I did on replacing the big seal on the box. Re-sealing the cases is even easier. Follow the instructions to the 'Split the case' point, then just clean the mating surfaces thoroughly and put a thin smear of Threebond 1211 on the faces, drop the outer case back on and pull them back together with the bolts in a crosshatch pattern.

DON'T put the Threebond on like bloody toothpaste! Really, a tiny smear is all that's needed to take up irregularities in the case.

Easy Peasy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

PostSubject: Re: 2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO   2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks Pete, and thanks for the link to your photo-essay. You've answered my questions and you do make it look easy. Glad you replied. If you're ever in Florida, I owe you a couple of cold ones.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: 2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO   2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 am

You have a crack in your concrete floor too!
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

PostSubject: Re: 2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO   2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:54 am

sidrat wrote:
You have a crack in your concrete floor too!

Yeah...We all have cracks....

Seriously, here in my area its sinkhole country, I have several cracks in the garage and all in the driveway, so does everyone else here. Last year a sinkhole opened up a couple miles away in the middle of the night and the guys house, cars boat and neighbors house just disappeared into a sinkhole that opened up while he was asleep, they never found his body. These sinkholes fill with water because the groundwater table and aquifer is so close to the surface, the surface is all sand. Very little clay if any in the subsurface, in some areas there is some weathered limestone in the subsurface, but that crumbles and gives way. This happens every year, but usually you have time to get out. Another one opened up about 4 months ago in Land O Lakes, Florida about 15 miles from my house, that one ate up 3 houses and vehicles. It was so large that they decided to just leave it as a lake.
Here's a better pic that shows some of the cracks in the garage, you just patch them and live with it. The house is 20 years old.

Oh yeah Pete you're right, the will want the bike for three days to make the repair, yes this is a long time Guzzi dealer. With the tutorial and pics that you provided, I've decided to do it myself. Thanks again.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO   2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

2nd CARC Oil Leak 2016 GRiSO
Page 1 of 1