GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions

Go down 
+20
Buellbloke
RedMogAndy
Clancy
Macgyver
Doc.
lcjohnny
Oz1200Guzzi
pauldaytona
EricS
GHTE
waterbottle
BBB888
Nobleswood
voulga77
Brent S
wyno
Pete Roper
guzziownr
paulbrice
sidrat
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:27 pm

All of the anchor points in all of the bikes are the same. There is more than enough scope for movement in the shaft with its two trunnions at either end of the shaft.

The reason you don't run the bike in gear without load is the firing intervals will turn the entire driveline into a clattering mess!

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:08 am

Ah, I see, got it!
Thanks Pete.

I fitted a BMW S1000R Shock to my Stelvio back in Apr 2017.
I had it on the Shelf for another project, and when I first removed my Stelvio Shock, I thought they looked pretty close, size-wise.
It was almost a straight swap, but being slightly longer, the Body of the lower Fork fouled on the main Link just before it reached full extension.

I machined up a replacement Link, with a bit more clearance in the Critical place.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It rode a little higher at the back which I didn't want, as I have a GRiSO Front Wheel fitted.
Raising the rear made the steering just a little too unstable for my liking, so I made another front Linkage, slightly longer, to drop it back down to the standard level.

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:16 am

Ironically I got a call from Clancy this morning. His bike has started making weird noises from the back after he fitted a refurbished Stelvio shock.😂

It's not I don't think related to the shock but we'll know when we autopsy it.
Back to top Go down
Macgyver
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Macgyver

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Hiyas,
So if I go down this road for my 06 1100, do I need a later 2012 onwards Stelvio shock?

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Ironically I got a call from Clancy this morning. His bike has started making weird noises from the back after he fitted a refurbished Stelvio shock.😂

It's not I don't think related to the shock but we'll know when we autopsy it.

Yes, my bike is parked until we can get it to Moto Moda for investigation.
I don't believe that the higher shock is directly the issue as others are using the Stelvio shock fine, but coming only a week after I installed the shock it does seem to suggest that I've inadvertently caused the issue during (or by) installation.

What's happening is, when under load either accelerating or engine braking there are no sounds or problems. The bike runs fine.
But when I pull in the clutch and hold it there is a clanking & clattering from the carc area.
I first noticed this rolling to a stop a bit longer than normal as I had to wipe fog off my visor with my right hand.
Once home, with a mechanic neighbor assisting, I found that when sitting at idle with the clutch pulled and then slowly releasing the clutch, at the point of traction there is a solid clunk in the carc area like something is taking up a big slack.

Anyways, am not fear mongering, just informing since Pete mentioned it and I figured somebody would ask anyway.
We'll let you know what gets found when it's found.
Back to top Go down
Macgyver
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Macgyver

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Your issue will not be related to shock height. It would need to be seriously high to effect the shaft angle.
I've built many BMW cafe Racers and Ural/Dnepr bobbers where we change the shock mount location and shock height. It has never been an issue.
My GRiSO 06 1100 has always clunked into gear when releasing the clutch, even taking off from the lights, no noise changing to second etc.
Last Guzzi also did this and my Suzuki Cavalcade has clonked for 12 years going clutch in to drive off from lights. They are pretty solid rear ends.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:06 pm

Just fitted an early model Stelvio shock with a 110Nm/mm spring.

For me (riding solo) it is not a night and day change.
Mostly on larger bumps the bike remains controllable & I think it 'notices' less general bumpiness..

The best bit is that when needing to brake hard (front & back brake) in a bend the bike is much more stable and steerable.

Yes i know i should have been riding at a more "measured" pace No but I was having fun Laughing
Back to top Go down
Macgyver
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Macgyver

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:37 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
Just fitted an early model Stelvio shock with a 110Nm/mm spring.

For me (riding solo) it is not a night and day change.
Mostly on larger bumps the bike remains controllable & I think it 'notices' less general bumpiness..

The best bit is that when needing to brake hard (front & back brake) in a bend the bike is much more stable and steerable.

Yes i know i should have been riding at a more "measured" pace No but I was having fun Laughing

So not worth doing?
May as well buy a good aftermarket shock?
Someone did say to use 2012 onwards Stelvio shock.
Maybe the earlier versions not as good?
Were your shock pivots dry?

What are your front fork settings?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:20 pm

Macgyver wrote:

So not worth doing?
May as well buy a good aftermarket shock?
Someone did say to use 2012 onwards Stelvio shock.
Maybe the earlier versions not as good?
Were your shock pivots dry?

What are your front fork settings?

Wow what a lorra questions.

My stelvio shock cost me £50 the 110 Nm/mm spring cost me £85 so I am £135 down
But my purpose was (1) to give my wife an easier time on pillion and (2) stop the bike going bat-shit when it hits a big hole.
Today my wife was not on the seat - so i cant check (1).
But i didn't find any bat-shit holes in the road - maybe coz i missed them and maybe coz the spring and shock length are already helping.

I suspect that the damping of the early Stelvio shock is no better than GRiSO standard - so if i still have the bike next year a new proper shock is on the cards.

However either the stronger spring or the change in steering angle has alread helped the stability in corners

Also in UK weather I know that link bearings corrode very quickly  pale  affraid  pale and my shock came with  a full set of linkages with the bearings and sleeves 2/3 good and 1/3 usable. => so not a total loss Smile

The shock pivots are not dry: they were new 4k miles ago and greased and have now been regreased at 32k
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:00 am

So, if I order a stelvio shock from those nice people at Nitron it will just drop straight in and (if I grease the needle rollers at the same time) my GRiSO will be closing rapidly on perfection? I better get saving then 😁

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am

sidrat wrote:
*****UPDATE*****
As you can see from the piccy it just looks like an ordinary GRiSO but on tip toes.

Its also back to the original riding position too and you are not pushed into the tank.

I will now make up something to increase the length of the side stand, as the picture doesn't show how much it now leans over!

Weird am like where's these f*cking pics, its only when you edit to re poste they are in the edit sortof Shocked
Either they no longer exist, were moved or removed?

lcjohnny wrote:
WARNING the The early (non NTX) Stelvio has a softer spring - i measured it at 8.4 Kg/mm (it may have been 9.5 when new Smile )
If you have one of these you will need to get an 11Kg/mm (110 Nm/mm) spring eg from Brook suspension Brook Suspension Shock Spring

So this I would imagine is the early puny sprung shock?

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:27 am

Buellbloke wrote:

So this I would imagine is the early puny sprung shock?

Yes - and that is what i have fitted.

With an 11 Kg/mm spring it is much better one-up than the standard - more stability in turns and deep into turns more comfort and better control over big bumps.

But the shock absorber is still a crude device compared to the WP or Ohlins i have ridden with on other bikes so it is a stage 1 tune Smile

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:02 am

lcjohnny wrote:

Yes - and that is what i have fitted.

With an 11 Kg/mm spring it is much better one-up than the standard - more stability in turns and deep into turns more comfort and better control over big bumps.  

But the shock absorber is still a crude device compared to the WP or Ohlins i have ridden with on other bikes so it is a stage 1 tune Smile

Any chance you can link me up to one of these springs please as having trouble finding them?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 am

There are lots of options for 2.25 inch id & 7 inch (as the religious person told the stage performer ....translated to 'woke'  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).... HyperPro variable rate springs cost at least double (same site)

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:33 am

paulbrice wrote:

There are lots of options for 2.25 inch id & 7 inch (as the religious person told the stage performer ....translated to 'woke'  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).... HyperPro variable rate springs cost at least double (same site)

I saw they are all mixed up trying to find a chart that explains rate suitable for my weight.
Obviously want a spring that allows me some sag as want to be in the travel not sitting on top of it.
Or over compressed to compensate for my weight like the GRiSO shock.
Might telephone see if they know, thanx for the info Paul Cool
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:53 am

If it is any help 11 Kg/mm works for me at 15 stone plus clothes and gear.

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 am

I really like the Stelvio shock. I have had an '09 version and a '13 in a variety of Grisos. They were identical AFAIK. Here is a picture of a stocker, a Wilburs and a Stelvio. I am 6'4" and 220 LBS. I adjusted the front end from"racer road" down to "boulevard cruiser" to good effect.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am

guzziownr wrote:
I really like the Stelvio shock. I have had an '09 version and a '13 in a variety of Grisos. They were identical AFAIK. Here is a picture of a stocker, a Wilburs and a Stelvio. I am 6'4" and 220 LBS. I adjusted the front end from"racer road" down to "boulevard cruiser" to good effect.

Tall and slender, 220IBS 15 stone seems to be the average.
The yellow spring on the Stelvio is the later rated around 11.61 kg/mm I think.
Just bought one with a red spring and think thats rated around the 09.something kg/mm.
Think am looking at around 12.something being 17stone 107kilos 238IBS.
The Matris at 13.5 kg/mm (135N/mm) seems to be a tad harsh for most on here so thought would go with something slightly less.
But who knows its all just f*cking guess work on my part Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
CrazyBiker
Carlotto
Carlotto
CrazyBiker

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:30 pm

Does a Norge shock work?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:54 pm

CrazyBiker wrote:
Does a Norge shock work?

Stock Norge and stock GRiSO are the same length. Dunno about springing/damping. Norge feels heavier pushing it around the garage but that is a subjective measurement.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:20 pm

The problem with the original shock is there is no room to play with it, if you consider the stelvio is 25mm longer travel then factor in 1''and 1/2 of sag how much longer it might be is a mute point.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:12 pm

Well chaps, I took everything I've read on here to those nice chaps at MCT and Nitron and they built me a new shock based on their Stelvio offering but 10mm shorter (adjustable by +10mm & currently set at 5mm over the standard GRiSO length) and a 675lb spring. Fitted it this afternoon and greased all the needle rollers on the way - mine were fine cheers . Many thanks to messrs Roper & Bryce for the comprehensive how tos on the tech pages that made the most difficult bit suspending the bike to get at everything!
I only managed a short trip this evening and the ride is much improved, a longer ride is called for I reckon Cool.  
I have been asked to report back as they want to add the GRiSO to the list of standard builds offered . . .

lcjohnny and Buellbloke like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:09 am

RedMogAndy wrote:
I have been asked to report back as they want to add the GRiSO to the list of standard builds offered . . .

Sounds good - look forwards to your report

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:16 am

Just bought a 2010 Stelvio shock. As far as I understand this needs an improved spring, right?
Anyone know how and where to find the right one in Holland or Germany?
How do you find the correct spring weight?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:37 am

You will need a stiffer spring as the standard Stelvio spring is 9.6Kg/mm same as the GRiSO one.
Spring dimensions are

1) internal diameter of 57mm (this is a common size)
2) free length 188mm
3) spring rate of between 11Kg/mm and 13 kg/mm depending on your weight (i weigh 105Kg in riding gear & 12 Kg/mm is right for me)

When the fitted the standard spring length is about 162mm that 26mm of shortening gives you 174Kg preload to get your ride height.

In UK Brook suspension sell springs that are 3mm too short so to be fitted tighter to get the same ride height & Demon Tweeks sell (cheaper) springs from Faulkners that are 13mm too short (175mm long) so need to be fitted still tighter.

I can send you their links but would have thought that you would have Scandi suppliers who will charge less postage?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions   Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio shock on a GRiSO riding impressions
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next