GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

AGM Battery tips

Go down 
+2
kiwi dave
guzziownr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Replacing the factory battery with an AGM.  Does it need any special treatment?  There is an AGM setting on my Sears battery charger and it is buzzing away in my garage prior to installation.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:15 pm

I thought the original Yuasa YTX20-BS is already an AGM type battery. Use the same settings you used for the original?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 pm

In essence and AGM is still a Lead/Acid battery. Just different internals, that's all. Gel are the same thing too. What you do for a Lead/Acid, do for your AGM or Gel.

I think the original was a sealed Lead/Acid... but I might be wrong.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09 pm

The first three letters YTX defines it as an AGM.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 pm

I sit corrected
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Ones with 4 terminals are the easiest to fit and swap between bikes.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 am

With AGM you need to add the acid and wait a minimum of 2 hours but best 12 hours to allow the acid to soak into the glass mat material. Failure to do this will result in a very short battery life.
Then give it a gentle charge until it reaches full capacity and finally fit to your bike.
If you don't use your bike regularly then every 14 days give it a gentle top-up charge.
Back to top Go down

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 am

Yep, and don't get confused with what is sealed etc.

YTZ range are also AGM but FA (no, not fucked, it means Factory Activated). Sealed at the factory and charged before shipping.
These are able to be mounted on their side or tilted etc.

YTX range are only sealed once filled and charged by you, these are prone to leaking if not kept vertical, as many a Triumph Speed Triple owner has found out.
The slight angled mounting on a GRiSO is not an issue.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:49 am

As reference point, the factory mounted battery is a "High Performance" AGM, Yuasa YTX20CH-BS.

Yuasa's spec page for this battery: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

At the bottom of this page, there is a link to Yuasa's "Technical Manual", it has some info, that may be usefull.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 am

ghezzi wrote:
Yep, and don't get confused with what is sealed etc.
YTZ range are also AGM but FA (no, not fucked, it means Factory Activated). Sealed at the factory and charged before shipping.
These are able to be mounted on their side or tilted etc.
YTX range are only sealed once filled and charged by you, these are prone to leaking if not kept vertical, as many a Triumph Speed Triple owner has found out.
The slight angled mounting on a GRiSO is not an issue.

My replacement is FA. It was at 12.4 V when it arrived so I put it on AGM 2A charge setting. It's in the bike now showing 13.7 V. I think the AGM setting is to keep the charger in the right range -- not too much or too little.

Thanks to all for the AGM ABCs DW
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 am

avgpetro wrote:
As reference point, the factory mounted battery is a "High Performance" AGM, Yuasa YTX20CH-BS.

Yuasa's spec page for this battery: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

At the bottom of this page, there is a link to Yuasa's "Technical Manual", it has some info, that may be usefull.

Indeed:

"When considering upgrading to an AGM battery
that was not original equipment on a vehicle, check
to make sure the charging system has a regulated
output between 14.0 and 14.8 volts. In general, older
vehicles have a charging rate that produces lower voltages
and a Conventional battery will be the only battery option
for these vehicles."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AGM Battery tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM Battery tips   AGM Battery tips Icon_minitime1