GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front wheel switch from spokes to cast

Go down 
+4
Pete Roper
sidrat
guzziownr
2 geese
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Empty
PostSubject: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 am

Do I need to buy a different spindle & spacers for the front cast wheel ? There's a thread back from Oct 2015 that says 'yes' BUT it doesn't address the parts number difference.....

My 2007 (spoked wheel) front tyre slow pressure loss is slowly getting faster Sad to the almost annoying stage. I've decided to buy pair of cast wheels as back up & second set rotors which already have in stock to save switching hassle. Obviously the back wheel just throws on with same bolts; but in the parts manuals the front has different part numbers for the spindle (same nut !), long & short spacers etc.

Also thinking of powder-coating them a colour - any experiences or thoughts would be very much appreciated ? (it's a tenni model so thinking Green or Red).
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 am

Hi  I have a 1200 sport and switched wheels with My GRiSO.I had to use axel and spacers that were with wheels,you may need to get them for the wheels you bought. My GRiSO and 12sport now look like they should have  come from factory.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am

2 geese wrote:
Hi  I have a 1200 sport and switched wheels with My GRiSO.I had to use axel and spacers that were with wheels,you may need to get them for the wheels you bought. My GRiSO and 12sport now look like they should have  come from factory.

Pictures please!

I was at Lake George yesterday. I am 2.5 hours South of you via I-87.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:00 am

Paul, PM me if you want some measurements, i can drop the front wheel out tonight and have a look for you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:06 am

Paul, if you are going down the road of buying a 2nd hand wheel, then don't waste time trying to find a Guzzi (Brembo) heavy cast mag wheel. Get a forged Marchesini off an 'S' model Ducati or Aprilia.

It is amazing how many bikes use the same disc rotor specs, wheel bearing size, spindle size etc.

A lighter wheel/rotor combo will have huge rewards
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 am

Thanks for that as I hadn't thought about weight in my focus to eliminate air leakage (closely followed by my wife's focus on colour Wink as the main factor). Short of 'buy & try' are there any golden part numbers that are known fits ?
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 am

Hi you need axel and spacers from Brevard or Norge with cast wheels , axel and spacers are different between cast and spoked wheels. I had 08 12sport and14 GRiSO side by side and you need axel and spacers that go with wheels.I haven't figured out how to do pictures yet,will post when I get time to figure out.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:41 am

That's what I figured. I'm guessing needs parts 8 (axle); 10 (washer); 9 (spacer); May get bearings and dust covers with wheel itself......main question mark remains 2 (spacer) if it doesn't come with the wheel.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Meant to attach this
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 am

From memory, from when I went the other way, from Cast to Hipster, the big difference was the length of the shoulder on the spindle. O also think that the spacer on the lay side was the same. I do have a memory like a goldfish though so don't take my word for it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:10 am

Thanks Pete. I'll check if spacer 2 comes with wheels & if not add that to the basket (or make it as it won't be load bearing bit and likely has straight edges).
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:59 am

Hi again I just did this last month,if the wheel you get has bearings and seals installed you need #8and#9 shoulder on axel (spindle) is different as well as right side spacer. Ride safe
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:23 am

Paul, took the front wheel off and measured the spacer, let me know of you need anything else

Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 am

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 am

Hi, I finally got pictures to go through. You can see the diffrence in spacers from cast to spokes here. Sport looks good with spokes ?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:40 am

Awesome help guys; much appreciated. I've ordered the axle and the spacer from TLM as they clearly aren't the same fittings as spoke wheels. Since I already have spare set of front rotors I'll fit them to the new cast ones when they arrive (rear already has :-)); and thinking to buy Titanium bolts to fit the rotors (I bought the Guzzi ones for the back to avoid speed sensor issues). Will post pics when I get done.....also thinking not to re-colour wheels on basis it looks like a bastard to strip OEM powder coating, so no Tenni colour alloys :-(
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:53 am

Paul

Can you not have the wheels dipped to remove the paint?

They would look good a different colour to match the tenni
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:56 am

I think the OEM are powder coated.....to get that stuff off requires methylene dichloride (I used to work on a lubricant baseoil manufacturing unit that used dichlorethane-methylene dichloride to dewax oil Cool ) which I think is dodgy stuff at best of times OR shot/media blasting which isn't best for new wheels....

So still thinking if to risk it to get red or green wheels
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Brand new rear wheel came fast from UK (see below) and I put disk on......cost 250 gbp (ouch but cheap compared to Lithuanian crew who won't haggle down from £350 + post for used one & Gutsi bits asking 700 gbp for a new front one & motoparts €230 plus post & used ).

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm

looking good Paul
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:16 am

2 geese wrote:

Very Cool!
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:00 pm

paulbrice wrote:

Also thinking of powder-coating them a colour - any experiences or thoughts would be very much appreciated ? (it's a tenni model so thinking Green or Red).

Paul, I just noticed this now. My tenni has the outer section of the rims powder coated in a tenni green, I just went out to the garage to take a photo so that you can get an idea of how they look. It is dark indoors and would have been better if taken outside in daylight but it gives the general idea.

If you want to see how it looks in the daylight I posted a photo on the "comphrensive exhaust thread"
I like how the green looks on the spoked wheels, might be too much on the alloys Question
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks, great to see & I like it on the spoke wheel as it gives classic lines (rear hugger as well). Is it spray painted green and wheel decal for the white/cream line done with spokes on rather than strip wheel and go powder coat ??

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Thanks, great to see & I like it on the spoke wheel as it gives classic lines (rear hugger as well). Is it spray painted green and wheel decal for the white/cream line done with spokes on rather than strip wheel and go powder coat ??

They were done when I bought the bike, so not sure. It is a cream decal and the hugger was spray painted so maybe the wheels were too but not fully sure.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 am

Front wheel arrived super fast thru customs from US. Now I have a pair of cast wheels all ready to go BUT they are different 'shades of dark grey' - see pics. Either Guzzi had different colour variants or more likely the front one is a Chinese copy (it says made in China; rear doesn't & came from uk dealers)...I doubt anyone will notice once discs and all the gubbins are on but does make the option to strip and colour them even more alluring.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel switch from spokes to cast   Front wheel switch from spokes to cast Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front wheel switch from spokes to cast
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next