GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Good shock for my GRiSO??

Go down 
+16
cognosticator
usedtobefast
2 geese
paulbrice
moby
Oz1200Guzzi
wardest
Bill Hagan
Kiwi_Roy
waterbottle
Baross
Pete Roper
Brent S
sidrat
klaas123
Nobleswood
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 am

Took a couple of better photo's today to show it fitted on the bike and how it protects the shock.

You can just see in the top photo that the 5mm thick rubber is just being scuffed by the tyre, right at the bottom edge, but that is after almost 4 years and 25,000 miles!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:17 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Are you ordering a 'Stelvio replacement' Matris or a 'special GRiSO replacement' ? My Matris has enough adjustment to lift the end as long as Stelvio variant (no special requirements just std adjustment); but main issue I had was Matris sent same spring rate for gorilla as for a mouse - which required spring change later on

Hi, I'm ordering a special GRiSO replacement with capacity to have slight  additional length of adjustment. Should have made that clearer.

I've noted many people speaking about harsh spring rates.  At Shocktreatment Terry Hayes has many different springs and will select by seat of pants, I've discussed hearing about being to harshly sprung.  He's done a umber of Grisos so if there is anyone out there with direct experience with Terry and spring rates good to hear.  

Many thanks,
Moby
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Are you ordering a 'Stelvio replacement' Matris or a 'special GRiSO replacement' ? My Matris has enough adjustment to lift the end as long as Stelvio variant (no special requirements just std adjustment); but main issue I had was Matris sent same spring rate for gorilla as for a mouse - which required spring change later on

Hi, I'm ordering a special GRiSO replacement with capacity to have slight  additional length of adjustment. Should have made that clearer.

I've noted many people speaking about harsh spring rates.  At Shocktreatment Terry Hayes has many different springs and will select by seat of pants, I've discussed hearing about being to harshly sprung.  He's done a umber of Grisos so if there is anyone out there with direct experience with Terry and spring rates good to hear.  

Many thanks,
Moby
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 pm

sidrat wrote:
Took a couple of better photo's today to show it fitted on the bike and how it protects the shock.

You can just see in the top photo that the 5mm thick rubber is just being scuffed by the tyre, right at the bottom edge, but that is after almost 4 years and 25,000 miles!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Sidrat, I think I bungled my earlier response. Just in case I did .... many thanks for the pics and drawing of the flap. Will make one and install.

Cheers,
Moby
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi
I`m looking for a replacement shock for my 14 GRiSO,i am 180 lb with everything on. Sounds like matris come over sprung. Are there Any otner replacement options that anyone have tried and like..
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Stevio
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:10 pm

2 geese wrote:
Hi
I`m looking for a replacement shock for my 14 GRiSO,i am 180 lb with everything on. Sounds like matris come over sprung. Are there Any otner replacement options that anyone have tried and like..

I've heard the Mupo is nice. Several different options available at different price points. But I haven't tried any.

Hopefully you can buy it through a suspension shop that will ensure your new ~$1400 shock will work well for you. I spoke with 3 places about rear shocks ... 2 of them just order the shock for you and ship it to you ... you say how much you weigh and how you ride and supposedly it comes set up for you (from Mupo or Matris). The other place was a local shop that would actually swap the shocks (and charge labor rate for it). None of them made any guarantee that the spring rate or valving would be good for you. So here's a shock in a box for $1400, hope you like it. I couldn't sign up for that.

So I'd ask any place that is selling them: 1) What if the spring rate isn't right (either too stiff or too soft)? 2) What if the valving doesn't work for me out of the box?

Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Usedtobefast
Hey me to (usedtobe) you are right i dont want to shell out 1400 and be worse off. Havent had any luck finding stelvio shock that looks ok,ones i see look to be in bad shape. I guess i will continue to look. AFI said they never heard of using a stelvio shock on GRiSO,but would sell me a 1400 dollar matris.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Agree with Usedtobefast....I shelled out similar coinage and despite stating weight & riding style got same spec Matris shock as every other fat & skinny muppet who ordered one. After pointing out my weight and needs didn't get customised in they did change the spring down to 115 (from 135 n/mm) for free but I'm still struggling to get it right & I'm 100% sure they don't custom the valving for every order.
I'd follow Sidrat advice and get a used stelvio one - if it's tatty get it serviced up and you'll still have lots of money left over !!!
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 pm

A month ago I found a used Penske stelvio shock.  I bought it and installed it last weekend but haven't been able to try it out because of recent surgery.

Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta GA said they would rebuild it to new for $200 if it needed it and another $100 if I needed to change the spring.  

It will be probably late May to June before I can ride again.

Keep looking around and you will find a Stelvio shock, but the one I got has me on the balls of my feet instead of flat footed which I don't really like but I will see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:43 pm

2 geese wrote:
Usedtobefast
Hey me to (usedtobe) you are right i dont want to shell out 1400 and be worse off.  Havent had any luck finding stelvio shock that looks ok,ones i see look to be in bad shape. I guess i will continue to look. AFI said they never heard of using a stelvio shock on GRiSO,but would sell me a 1400 dollar matris.
 Thanks

I was hoping to get a Stelvio shock off a bloke in the US who I was conversing with on another board but the shipping cost was prohibitive. Would you like to PM me your email and I'll forward it on to him with an explanation?

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 pm

To be very clear about custom shocks factory settings.
The spring rate is the only 'custom' option.

Internal valving will be the same, predetermined by the manufacturer. But this is why the shock has multiple external adjusters, they are for YOU and YOUR local suspension guru to play with to get YOUR bike to to ride to YOUR satisfaction.

Had a mate bought a high end shock for his Street Triple, when I rode it, it was woeful but he refused to allow me to adjust it. Like he thought it was sacred or something. After several painful years, and riding my better sorted bike, he relented and started playing with the adjusters. Now he loves his Wilber's.

If you expect a shock to be perfect out of the box, then don't waste money on something you don't understand or appreciate
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 am

Pete
Dont know how to pm you (i'm a little slow)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 am

Click on my name at the side of this post. On the page with my details at the top on the left there it's 'Contact' click on that and it'll give you the PM option or just email me

motomoda.ropergmail.com
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Really good to be back on the site.  Was last here in mid November; that was the start of the snow that has kept the GRiSO in the garage.  There is still snow on the ground but temps are above freezing and there is more daylight these days.  Should be able to get the bike out within a few weeks.  

Based on a recommendation by Sidrat, I finally got around to pulling the trigger on a Stelvio shock from Hagon Shocks ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Price is 249.50 Pounds (excluding VAT); shipping price to the US is 55 Pounds.  Pricewise, the Hagon shock seemed to be the best deal for a shock that is adjustable and fully rebuildable.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am

With the current dollar/ pound exchange rate you’re getting a good deal.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 am

Absolutely.  $405.00 is a steal and the sales team at Hagon said they were working on a 10-12 working day turnaround on orders.  The cheapest shock from AF1 Racing is $599 with a delivery time to AF1 of 3-4 weeks; cheapest shock from Nitron Racing is $699 with a shipping time of 2-3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am

We are running a standard but slightly longer Hagon shock on the back of the track day bike (Suzuki 600 bandit) and it works well enough for a sock with a combined compression rebound adjuster.
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 am

Here is what I did last Winter:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Impressive  Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
2 geese
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
2 geese

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Found a good shock from a stelvio. THANK YOU PETE ROPER
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

I tried Matris, found it far too stiff as standard and if anything I think the original shock gave a better ride! Matris supplier was very fair and took the shock back for a refund and I ordered a Wilbers which I had set up by MCT Suspension in Stowmarket UK - superb ride now although the Wilbers was a tad heavy on the wallet - even more expensive than the Matris!
Was told by MCT that they would not work on a Matris anyway!
MCT also overhauled the forks which now have K-tech 9kg springs, different oil and air gap etc. Not sure exact set up but can check my notes and confirm if anyone wants to know. Happy to recommend MCT if any UK Grisologists want a suspension set up.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

BBB888 wrote:
I tried Matris, found it far too stiff as standard and if anything I think the original shock gave a better ride! Matris supplier was very fair and took the shock back for a refund and I ordered a Wilbers which I had set up by MCT Suspension in Stowmarket UK - superb ride now although the Wilbers was a tad heavy on the wallet - even more expensive than the Matris!
Was told by MCT that they would not work on a Matris anyway!
MCT also overhauled the forks which now have K-tech 9kg springs, different oil and air gap etc. Not sure exact set up but can check my notes and confirm if anyone wants to know. Happy to recommend MCT if any UK Grisologists want a suspension set up.

Out of interest, what spring rate did your Wilbers come with?
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Cant remember will have to look it up at the weekend.
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 am

Not sure if this will work but took a photo of my suspension set up card and attach it - er, nope didn't work!
So suspension set up as recorded on the card is as follows on my 2014 8v SE.
Fork Settings:
Comp. low speed - 15 clicks out.
Rebound damping - zero.
Fork Springs - 0.95 (K-tech)
Fork oil - F25
Oil level 100mm
Preload - 10 turns IN
Rider Sag - 40mm
Fork posotion - 3 threads out.
Rear Shock:
Wilbers
Comp low speed - 14 Clicks out.
Comp Hi Speed - 14 clicks out.
Rebound - 16 clicks out
Spring details: 110 - 130
Static sag - 8mm (+/- 2mm)
Gas pressure - 10 Bar.
Shock length set: standard.

All works very well for my 100kgs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good shock for my GRiSO??   Good shock for my GRiSO?? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Good shock for my GRiSO??
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next