GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

How much can a GRiSO take?

Go down 
+17
waterbottle
il Postino
GHTE
Grisonut
LBC Tenni
Overholt13
Papa Lazarou
odder
Bill Hagan
motor-timothy
anguscameron1966
sidrat
wyno
Pete Roper
beetle
Nobleswood
stdunkel
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
stdunkel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
stdunkel

How much can a GRiSO take? Empty
PostSubject: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Friday just after 6pm my beloved GRiSO got attacked by a lady in a VW Polo. 
The GRiSO took a bite off the Polo, but bucked me off whilst doing so.

Fortunately, I was within speed limit of about 50km/h.
Fortunately, it was NOT my fault. The lady made a right turn in front of me.
Fortunately, I got thrown off the bike rather than flying over the car.
Fortunately, I did not hit anything other than the flat road.
Fortunately, I was wearing full ‘city’ gear; boots, Kevlar jeans, gloves, leather jacket with protectors and of course my helmet.
Fortunately, the gear fulfilled its duties and nothing seems broken - but hell, I am sore. My respect for MotoGP riders continuing after a highsider has tripled. 
Fortunately, the GRiSO’s massive V-twin protected my knee. Otherwise I would have the part of the headlamp embedded in my knee or leg.
Fortunately, the GRiSO’s oil radiator dug into the car, flipping the bike around rather than bouncing me off into the parked cars on the side of the road.
Unfortunately, the GRiSO doesn’t look too good.

I wonder how much the GRiSO can take and if they will be able to fix her.

Stay upright and safe,
Stefan

Unfortunately the rotation seems a bit off
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Good to hear it's just the bike. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Glad you're OK! GRiSO doesn't look too bad considering. I hope she was insured!

Shocked

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
stdunkel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
stdunkel

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Considering the 4 motorbike fatalities around Sydeny this weekend, I'm so glad it is not 5 - cause that could have been me (sounds selfish Neutral ).
Yes, the other driver is insured. But is seems that the insurance might be capped at my insured value?!

From what I saw, the oil radiator got ripped off, the right crashbar took the major hit, right footrest gone and break lever folded, but not the cylinder behind. Carc drive only scratched, no hole - so the guard did the job to some point. Bike must have been upside down at some point. Seat, handlebar, mirror, and tank bag are scratched from the top. The left side did not look too bad apart from the cylinder head cover. But I know, it took a hit. No direct impact with the front wheel or fork though.

She seems robust as an old tractor from that perspective.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Send it up here if you like. To be honest I think they'll write it off. Are the lock stops on the forks still intact?

Grisos crash well but usually this sort of impact will crack cases in places that aren't at first obvious.

Pete
Back to top Go down
stdunkel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
stdunkel

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:37 pm

They took it to Collide-a-scope in Hornsby. I would think the lock stops are still intact as there was no impact and no major steering force on the handlebar. But you never know until you check.
With cases you mean engine, gear box, oil sump etc. ?

Stefan
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm

If any of the gear you were wearing was damaged, helmet, jacket, etc, her insurance should cover that as well.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

If your insurer gives you choice of repairer get it up here. At least we know what t,o look for. Otherwise you'll just end up with a cheap lash-up repair.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Aw fuck, Stefan,  sorry to hear this, but glad you're okay, sore, but okay. I had a similar "incident" a couple of years ago and  the front end was toast. Insurance company deemed it a total. It doesn't take much. Luckily the dickhead who hit me had full insurance.  Don't  settle without a fight. All of your gear, bike, geegaws and health expenses should be paid for by the dickhead!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 pm

If you weren't insured at all, the full replacement cost of your bike should be the payout.

Some years ago I T-boned a u-turning pensioner, I had no insurance for my SRX600.
First offer was lo-ball, according to "their" market value.
second offer was for what I had paid for the bike, but I settled for the current 2nd hand replacement value (much higher again), plus my add on improvements of suspension and exhaust.

That model had only been imported in very small numbers, and had a rising value during my period of ownership.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 am

Mate i am sorry to hear about your accident. It does look like it will polish out, but you need to go over it very carefully.

If you leave it where it is, they will simply write it off, there are too many panels to replace.

Take Pete's Offer.

I wrote off a Sierra Cosworth with my Ducati Paso many moons ago. He pulled out in front of me. I had the bike taken to a trusted Ducati shop and we went through the bike to see what was broken. It was an easy write off. However the Bike shop came up with a repair cost that would just stop the bike being written off. I accepted the cash and we spent it on the bike, giving it a custom paint job, a little fettle, better exhaust and suspension. But i had to settle for repairing the plastics and buying some used stuff, however i kept the bike (for another 15 years) and ended up with something unique. That would be my route.

Maybe a second 1400 GRiSO ;-)
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 am

Glad you are ok after the spill. I bet you're sore! Best of luck with getting the bike fixed Smile
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 am

Bloody incompetent car drivers...Such a waste of a beautiful bike. May you have a speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 am

Nobleswood wrote:
Good to hear it's just the bike. Thumbs Up

Yes!

Best wishes for a recovery of money, mind, and body.

I say that last because I hope you get a medical look.  If you are "sore," it is possible that adrenalin masked something more than your hurt feelings.

Bill
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:26 am

Good you are okay!

Looks like a write off. Carc is scratched, new side plate and controls, interesting to see no. Some appraisers may see the side plate as frame. Crash protection didn’t do much.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 pm

ouch. that's sad. fecking car driver.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I've been told that insurance companies often go for economic total loss even when repair cost isn't equal to that, as they recoup a fair amount of the cost by selling the 'total loss' bike to (parts)traders. If you are particularly attached to the bike or feel you can have it repaired/repair it yourself for much less than the amount they pay you, it may be worthwhile to tell the insurance company that you want to keep the bike, in which case they'll deduct the salvage value from your payout. You can then use the remainder of the payout to repair it. You may even have a financial win that way if the damage is significantly less costly to repair than estimated.
In the case of my crash last summer, the total damage to the bike determined by the inspector from the insurance company was estimated at above 2.500 euro. I repaired the bike for 700 euro. Unfortunately in my case the insurance company didn't pay me anything, but still elephant
Back to top Go down
Overholt13
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Overholt13

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:53 pm

glad your ok, that's what is most important,,, good luck with the bike
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Sorry about your bike Stefan, but thankful you are relatively unscathed. Christmas season always brings out the dipshit drivers. Be safe everyone.
Back to top Go down
stdunkel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
stdunkel

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 am

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your support.

Haven’t seen my lil devil, yet, but will tomorrow. Some stuff up in the process of getting things organised. Bet the lady has less trouble with her car.
Insurance companies always seem to win regardless how you play the game:
If you contact your own insurance company, they ‘take care’ of it ‘for you’. One can claim based on their own policy – bike and gear. No excess to be paid. However, the limit is your own policy value.

If you contact the other insurance company the limit is not set by your own policy, however, things can become more complicated. They pay market value, not replacement value.
The whole BS that one is in no worse position than before is certainly not applicable for a unique bike like the GRiSO.
@Ghezzi, did you convince the insurance company with the small numbers? It is hard to get figures for the GRiSO. Not much available on bikesales – that’s for sure

@sidrat, Pete and motor-timothy; if I had the time and wouldn’t go oversees in a day, I’d taken that approach. Pete is a fair way away, you know? I heard good things about the shop from people I know. If they decide on the likely write-off, I’ll talk to them about my options. A friend of mine had a similar situation with a Ducati and arranged to get the cash and buy the wreck, then repairing it on his own terms. If that is an option, I’ll get it taken to Pete. But if it is a statutory write-off due to frame damage, I’m better off having it here where I can get things sorted before leaving.

@Odder, the bloody CARC protector didn’t do the trick at all. Crash bar on the left did a decent job, even though the plastic cover is ripped. However, the right hand side got taken apart by the car, not the road. The blue mark on the front of the VW is from my Jeans. If it wasn’t for my boots and the engine block, my right foot and leg would not be of much use right now. If they consider the pork chop side plate thingy as part of the frame, I show them how to take it off. That’s ridiculaous.

Even though this is a highly inconvenient and miserable situation to be in, I am glad being able to type these lines. On the first day, I could not get out of bed without help. On the second day, I made it by myself – just. On the third day, painkillers did the trick. Today, I not only got out of bed with no major challenge but was also able to carry beer. Getting there ;-)

Will see how I go with the mechanics tomorrow…

Be aware of the evil out there and ride safely.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 am

Glad to see you are ok, that is the most important part!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm

It's a total loss but you can contract with the Ins. for a lesser amount if you know you can fix it for said amount...
Same thing happened to me with my 2013 two years ago...after fighting with the crooks that wanted to screw me and total the bike, I contracted the deal for a nice check that I barely used. Fixed the bike for cheap and recently traded it for a new GRiSO! Me happy now. Very Happy

Oh, and glad you're OK...in my case, I was at work the next day. Thanks for full gear protection.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Its never a great outcome, but as already said thank goodness you are in pretty good shape and able to ride another day. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope the insurance is at least satisfactory in terms of payout or fix.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
stdunkel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
stdunkel

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 am

Was there today, crying on the inside. She took the hit for me. Spoke with the mechanic. Apart from some obvious stuff like carc drive and ripped off radiator with bolts left in the block, there are some indications of bigger problems and most likely hidden issues. I will not risk it to take bike to Pete and get told that it's only good for scraps.
They were kind and let me replace some of my aftermarket parts such as the headlight and exhaust.  Another hint that I got, is to claim the gap of my financial damage through the at-fault-driver's insurance company. Some more homework to be done. Steep learning curve. Almost as steep as my recovery....
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Oh my...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much can a GRiSO take?   How much can a GRiSO take? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How much can a GRiSO take?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next