GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Greetings from Colorado Springs

Go down 
+12
Jonathun
Pete Roper
Grisonut
sidrat
anguscameron1966
KillerX
cognosticator
EricS
sideshowbob
NorthernProducer
beetle
FrontRangeRider
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Grisonut wrote:
What year is the Thruxton?
If it's the 900, don't bother. You'll be bored to death and the suspension/brakes are the cheap low entry level.

The Thruxton is a 2013 and is the 900.  I am not interested in buying it; I just wanted to see how the seating position felt when riding it.  The web ergonomics tool implies that the seating position (except for an extra 6 degrees f forward lean) is close to the GRiSO.  As Beetle pointed out, the web tool is apparently not the best source for that kind of info.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is this one available to sit on.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 pm

That one 'Has been inspected' which means it hasn't been rollerised so it will fail. At only 3,000 miles it's a good bet the damage will be minimal but factor in another $1k-1.5k for rollerisation.

Pete
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is this one available to sit on.

That is where I started.  I have contacted this guy three times over a three week period and he has not responded.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Maybe have a look through here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:19 pm

maybe have a look at a new 1200 monster
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm

FrontRangeRider wrote:

Darn, Beetle.  That definitely rained on my parade.  LOL.  She Who Must Be Obeyed has made it clear that "you aren't flying or driving to Austin to sit on and test ride a bike that you may not even buy."  I explained that I had purchased many bikes without a test ride so she's good with me buying a GRiSO if I can sit on something that is similar enough to know the seating position works for my back.  Can you suggest any bike that is similar in seating position to the GRiSO?  

Unfortunately, no. My bike prior to GRiSO was a GSX750. Very different. The Racer seat is lower to the ground, and the footpegs give you a sit up straight position, but it has clip-on's. It's weird. The only other bikes I've sat on in the past few years were a 1200 Sport and California Audace.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:47 pm

FRR, glad you don't come from BBM.

If your worried about physical fit, state your height, weight and inseam measurements here and ask members of similar build to comment on comfort.

Then there are different bars, bar risers, lowered pegs and Corbin seats ....................
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 pm

ghezzi - Physical fit isn't the issue.  I have a bad back with a number of deteriorated disks.  My concern/ question is whether the seating position will irritate the back. I've seen one or more posts where a member talked about getting rid of the GRiSO for a V7 because of issues with their back.   I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and weigh in the 195 range.  

In my younger days, I had no comfort issues with my '78 BMW R100RS or '96 Honda VFR, both of which had more forward lean than the GRiSO.  Since the VFR, all my bikes have had a more upright seating position (FJR, R1200RT and Super Tenere).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Back problem will be exacerbated by Shitty stock suspension. Under sprung so it's harsh and bottoms out and grossly over damped. They can, with liberal applications of money, be made into a magic carpet.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 pm

FrontRangeRider wrote:
Grisonut wrote:
What year is the Thruxton?
If it's the 900, don't bother. You'll be bored to death and the suspension/brakes are the cheap low entry level.

The Thruxton is a 2013 and is the 900.  I am not interested in buying it; I just wanted to see how the seating position felt when riding it.  The web ergonomics tool implies that the seating position (except for an extra 6 degrees f forward lean) is close to the GRiSO.  As Beetle pointed out, the web tool is apparently not the best source for that kind of info.

Got you...
Well, seat and tank are narrower than the GRiSO so I don't know how that would affect the feel of the riding position on long runs.
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 pm

FrontRangeRider wrote:
ghezzi - Physical fit isn't the issue.  I have a bad back with a number of deteriorated disks.  My concern/ question is whether the seating position will irritate the back. I've seen one or more posts where a member talked about getting rid of the GRiSO for a V7 because of issues with their back.   I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and weigh in the 195 range.  

In my younger days, I had no comfort issues with my '78 BMW R100RS or '96 Honda VFR, both of which had more forward lean than the GRiSO.  Since the VFR, all my bikes have had a more upright seating position (FJR, R1200RT and Super Tenere).

I don't think anyone can really tell you how any bike will be for you when you have a back issue, there are much to many variables imho.

That said, if it's of any help, I'm 6ft 32" inseam and 211lbs. I have a prolapsed disk in lower back and a trapped nerve which can flare up. The GRiSO has been back neutral for me, the R1 is not! Often on 300 or so mile trips on the GRiSO with the odd stop for fuel and food with no problems.

The stock suspension has not been an issue for me, although if I'd had "magic carpet" experience I'd likely have a different view.
Back to top Go down
Jonathun
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Jonathun

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm

I am a little taller than you, 6’2”, about the same weight
I have also had lower back issues for the last 30 years.
In 2013 I flew to Melbourne Australia and purchased an 09 GRiSO that had only done 2500km and rode it back to perth, 2700km. The ride to Adelaide was quite painful as previous owner had suspension setup for track. In Adelaide I had a bike shop setup the bike for me and continued ride back to perth without issue.
I have however subsequently fitted 1.5” risers which improve the riding position for my longer arms

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Has everyone else noticed we're practically all the same age?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Well I am only 36, suffer from dyslexia, and ride a Sport - perhaps I'm an odd one out, amongst friends.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:17 pm

You're a baby Tony!!
What are you doing hanging out with old tall bastards?!?!
I'm not included in that group though...I'm an old bastard allright, just not tall. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Well I am only 36,

Guffaw!

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Thought I'd provide an update.  I got hold of the dealer in Denver late yesterday.  While they don't have a GRiSO in stock, they have a customer's bike in for service this coming week that they'll let me sit on.  

Thanks to all of you for the great feedback.  It has been very helpful.  For the first time since moving to Colorado, I'm looking forward to the drive to Denver.   Smile
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm

beetle wrote:
Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Well I am only 36,

Guffaw!

Razz

I did say I'm dyslexic...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

I did say I'm dyslexic...

Shouldn't that be "lysdexic"?

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Hey FrontRangeRider, why don't you fly up to Calgary were I live and buy a Canadian GRiSO, and ride home? Blackfoot Motorsports has a couple of 2016 models left on the showroom floor for 12500$ Canadian Dollars.
Just for the record, I'm 41
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:54 pm

blades - I checked the exchange rate and that is a good price.  I can see the hassle I'd get at the border on my way back into the US with an unregistered bike.  But it would be a great ride from Calgary to Colorado.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Have you considered a Fat GRiSO?
Stelvio, upright and much more comfortable touring wise ............. so I'm told.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 am

ghezzi wrote:
Have you considered a Fat GRiSO?
Stelvio, upright and much more comfortable touring wise ............. so I'm told.

You were told correctly. I had a 2013 Stelvio, that is what made me love the motor. Lost my job and had to turn the bike back in to the bank :-(

It is taller too, so if you are short of inseam you will be on your tip toes or worse. I have a 32" inseam and still on the balls of my feet when stopped.

When able to get another bike I went with the GRiSO, lower and lighter. I had a speed triple so the more aggressive sitting position doesn't bother me, yet
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Well, went to Denver to see the GRiSO. Loved the look and the seating position seemed fine.  I brought my wife along since she wanted to see the bikes.  It was going very well.  "Oh, I see why you like these bikes and want one.  They are beautiful."

Then, she decided she likes the V7 ii Racer better than the GRiSO.  Much better looking and cheaper too.  We got past that until the salesman commented on how much more powerful the GRiSO is.  When she asks, "what do you mean," he explains that the GRiSO is a sport bike with twice as much power.  It went downhill very quickly from there. None of the subsequent conversations on the subject went well.  I'm old enough (63) and married long enough to know that you have to choose wisely when to use a silver bullet. Not ready to use one here.

Sigh...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Colorado Springs   Greetings from Colorado Springs - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Colorado Springs
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next