GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC breather cap

Go down 
+2
beetle
McCarthy1983
6 posters
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 pm

So, I was servicing my 1200 GRiSO today. Took it for a blast to warm up then set about changing fluids. Following the manual I found in here, I drained the CARC fluid and then set about undoing the breather cap. As undoing, it snapped off, leaving a hole with some of the cap left in the thread. Now I need to get it out. Anyone had this problem or suggest how I get out. I’m annoyed because had I not followed the manual and just drained and Un did the refill cap, surely this let’s in/out enough air in order to sufficiently drain and the breather cap wouldn’t have needed touching. Is this an error in the manual?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 pm

I can only suggest drilling it and using an ezy-out.

With regard to draining and filling it, I never touch the breather. Simply open the filler plug and drain hole.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks. I’m annoyed at myself for even touching it.

Hopefully the ezy-out will work with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Make sure you get all the swarf, as it will do no good to the innards...
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:46 pm

There must be a hole in the piece left in the body, don't go near it with a drill until you attempt to get an ezyout into it and try to get it out without drilling .....
Good luck with it, go easy and slow ......
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Thank you all for your responses. All I had to do was undo the swing arm bolts, to move out of the way and the snapped bolt came out with a ezy-out. 2 mins job. Im just annoyed that I paid someone to do the work for fear of making further mess. Lesson learnt. New breather cap on its way.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 pm

at least its a good end result!
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Same thing happened to me last summer when I did my oil changes; it happened when I was undoing mine.
It just broke off but left a handy bit of metal I could get at with molegrips so I was able to unscrew the remainder of the plug.

The cost of the replacement was insane for what is just a breather & there was a bit of a wait for one so I think I just used one off a V7 & it seems to have worked fine.

I'll take Beetle's advice on it & shan't go anywhere near it in future & will leave it well alone!!!

Cheers
Rich

.........my speedo is still mist free after my winter "fix"/ silicon splurge & my GRiSO has taken a right royal hammering in the rain & snow...........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CARC breather cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC breather cap   CARC breather cap Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC breather cap
Page 1 of 1