GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil breather leak??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

Oil breather leak?? Empty
PostSubject: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 am

Hi y’all

Just picked up a 2014 GRiSO 8v SE with only 1200 miles on it.
I rode it 200+ miles and brought it home and noticed that oil is splashed on the right side heavily. I noticed oil was coming out what looks like a breather hose. Pic attached.
I am new to GRiSO. Looking to learn and fix it !!
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Pic below    Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 am

Yup, most likely the breather hose. They aren't the best and seem to suffer more if the bike is left sitting than if it's used regularly.

They are a 'Pre formed' hose and hard, but not impossible, to substitute for. I just replace with factory hoses which seem to have got a bit better over the years but still aren't crash hot. They're pricey but since I only change them every 5-8 years I don't get my knickers in a knot over them.

If one has gone the other won't be far behind. Replace the crappy condom on the condensor box at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks Pete. My friend was recommending to install a Oil catch can System coz it’s normal for oil to splash out of the breather tubes !! Ill go ahead and order these replacement hoses from af1 and give it a go.

Appreciate if anyone else has a video of the steps involved !!

Are there any other items worth changing proactively ?
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:46 pm

If the breather is leaking at the bend that you are pointing at you can make it easy on yourself and cut the hose off there and cut a curved piece from the new part and use a barb to link the new piece in. That would save you from having to pull the tank. Another guy on the forum went to an auto parts store and got some new hose and a plastic 45 connector and made the bend that way and used a barb to connect the new section he made. You should search oil leaks or blow by system here and I bet you can find it.
The proper way would be to fix it would be to replace the hose completely but it’s kind of a pain and you get into getting the tank off. I can send some picture of what I did to save that trouble if you like.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If I copied this correctly. It should take you to a post of a plastic elbow a member used with flexible fuel line hose (that won't collapse) and was "hose barbed" to the existing hose going back to the "container or box" under the tank up by the steering head.
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks John ! First i am going to check if the sump has excessive oil to begin with. i checked yesterday and the dipstick was up to the full mark.. i am going to drain some and make sure the level is mid way when bike is upright. next i am going to inspect the tubes carefully. the tube i am pointing to is a drain breather tube it appears and may be its doing its job after all.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:53 pm

If you have too much oil it will cause other problems, so it’s good you checked it. Too much oil won’t make your breather hose leak. They get dried out and leak at the connection points.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:59 am

dammit. right side breather hose has just gone. thankfully, a lot of threads here on fixing it.
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Anyone has step by step instructions on how to replace All 3
Of these hoses ?? Either using oem hoses or aftermarket ??
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Kathakali wrote:
Anyone has step by step instructions on how to replace All 3
Of these hoses ?? Either using oem hoses or aftermarket ??

several on here, including workarounds using plastic elbows and standard hoses.

curiously, mine has suddenly stopped leaking, so I'll ignore it.

Kathakali likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil breather leak??   Oil breather leak?? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil breather leak??
Page 1 of 1