GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?

Go down 
+2
kiwi dave
paulbrice
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Empty
PostSubject: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 am

OK So, on my 2015 GRiSO, First I got the erratic speedo jumping from 300kph to 0kph (without the fun or whiplash) and a warning triangle on the dash, Which I'm presuming from previous posts on this forum suggests I need to dry out or replace the speed sensor. The following morning the battery is too low to start the bike, So I give it a charge, and all is good, But when I switched off the key, I could hear some little electrical noises ( almost like small servo movements ) from around the battery / under the tank area, So I presume something is still sucking power when the key is turned off. Anyone think this is connected to the speed sensor error, or do I have an electrical issue that killed the sensor, or is it all just a big coincidence? Would appreciate a bit of troubleshooting help with this if any of you has any ideas,

Thanks Heaps,
Mark
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 am

Hey Mark, sounds like just the usual relays & other things around ignition on and ignition off process immediately on turn of key (I'm guessing you don't hear them a minute later). You're probably listening harder now the battery is flat and the sensor is playing up.

I thought 2015 bikes had sensor sorted so I'd check it isn't all just related to flat battery but start with fault codes..... Also check if bad earth is causing battery and/or speedo reading problem as they can go together. I wouldn't just jump into the sensor fixing....
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 pm

I've measured the current remaining after the switch was off and was surprised at the amount remaining -around 150 mA from memory.  This current did not diminish when I started pulling the individual fuses, leaving the dashboard as the probable culprit.

It had me fooled for quite a while until I realised I was leaving the key in the ignition which was activating the dashboard via the immobilizer antenna.  Once I removed the key, the current diminished sufficiently.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm

The whirring noise is the idle stepper going to its happy place.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 am

Thanks all for your Replies,

Ive checked the fault codes and I am getting ecu error 56

as a correction my bike was actually a 2014 build, in case that year still had the dodgy sensors

I tried leaving the bike sit after a short run (15k) and returned about 3 mins later, the noises continued, about every 10 seconds a small motor sound
heres a recording in case someone can identify?

GRiSO noise

I tried to check earth, I held multimeter probe against positive battery terminal and touched the negative to various points around the bike (exhaust, frame components etc.) and saw the battery voltage displayed, Not sure if this is the correct procedure, or if that is a good or bad result.

Basically, Bike starts and runs well, warning triangle on dash ( presume related to ecu 56 error) and battery drains unless I pull the 30amp fuses below the battery when its keyed off.

any notions? Thanks,
Mark
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 am

Does the noise (mouse sleeping in airbox sound) go away when you pull the fuses ? Sounds like stepper motor is still trying to get somewhere
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

Yes, the sound stops when I pull the fuses.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 am

I've been wracking my tiny brain over this one as someone had a similar issue a couple of years ago on another board but I can't for the life of me remember what the sollution was......
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Wayne Orwig had this problem with his Stelvio. Didn't he just disconnect the speedo sensor and either dry it out, or replace it?

scratch

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Doud
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doud

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 am

Beetle,
I have a vacuum pump. I had thought of vacuum drying the sensor, & while still under vacuum, drop the sensor into some UV set resin, then release the vacuum. I think the resin would be forced in to the crack.
The way to achieve this, is to hold the sensor up with 2 magnets: one inside. Once the vacuum is pulled, slip the outside magnet down so the sensor enters a small container of resin.
Once the sensor is out, either set it with UV, or sit it in the sun (something not everyone is as lucky as Australia...)
Vacuum chambers are great for drying wet electronics (like a phone dropped in the toilet!)

I get a sensor error occasionally on my Bella, hence the thoughts.

regards, Doug
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Worth a try! Most just coat the sensor in silicone. It doesn't take much to seal it.

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Mine was not able to be rescued - suspect corroded wire within. I shelled out for a new one because I am a lazy arse...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks guys. Suppose I'll try drying out the sensor first, could it be shorting and causing these noises and battery drain? Or is it unrelated?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes. Disconnect the speedo sensor and the noises and battery drain should stop.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?   Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Speedo sensor issue leads to Battery drain?
Page 1 of 1