GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...

Go down 
+7
GuzziSteve
PJPR01
LUCKY DAVE
Papa Lazarou
Kiwi_Roy
Pete Roper
whyrichard
11 posters
AuthorMessage
whyrichard
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
whyrichard

Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Empty
PostSubject: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello all,

I'm in love with my GRiSO, and am almost done shaking out all the bugs and modifying it to suit my liking.... delicious.

Question I have for you all, I seem to have a consistent battery drain. I understand that the security on the bike often drains the battery, but after 10-14 days of sitting on multiple occasions it is just flat. I fully recharge the battery, make sure any accessories have their own battery disconnect so to ensure it is not draining the battery... what else can I do?

Is there a way to disable the security on the bike? So that it doesn't drain the battery? Is there a better battery to get which won't drain nearly as fast?

Any other suggestions? Its a 2013 GRiSO with 5k miles on it...

Thanks
Richard
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Just pull the main 30A fuse under the seat. You'll have to reset the clock when you re-insert it and fire the bike up. If it's still flattening the battery in two weeks the battery is dying.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:43 pm

The flashers also draw a little current, I think its something like 40 microamps per lamp, 160 in total.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
There's probably some other inputs drawing current as well.
I can leave mine for several months and it will still start so perhaps its time you had a new battery.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Buy an Oxford Solariser or similar. I've never had a problem since using it, even in a British winter.

Here's an Amazon linky. I'm sure you can get these in the States.

Back to top Go down
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 am

You need a battery tender or equivalent.
My favorite is the Optimate 6, it can desulphate in injured battery and bring it back to life (sometimes LOL)
I have 12 bikes, 3 rarely driven old Porsches, and a tender on the bow of the big boat, so I have one for each plus a couple extras.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:05 pm

The security alarm should not be draining the battery at all, something else is causing the drain, or the battery is failing.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
whyrichard
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
whyrichard

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
The flashers also draw a little current, I think its something like 40 microamps per lamp, 160 in total.
There's probably some other inputs drawing current as well.
I can leave mine for several months and it will still start so perhaps its time you had a new battery.

Hey all,

Happened again. Its a new battery, and frankly the second new battery I put in it recently...
I hooked up my iphone charger to an off switch so to completely disonnect it from the battery when not in use, so I think i ruled that out.

There is a small wire on the battery that has a blue tip, not sure if this is stock of the previous owner hooked up something I don't know about...

Do stock 2013 GRiSO's have a small wire running to the battery?

Thanks,
Richard

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Nope, definitely not. Disconnect it and find out where it goes to.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Could be a StartusInteruptus wire for bypass.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:07 pm

I'm more concerned about the lack of a proper terminal on the earth strap and what those other two small wires are. It hasn't got a bloody Power Commander on it has it?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:19 pm

You're not parking it with the key in the ignition (but switched off)?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
You're not parking it with the key in the ignition (but switched off)?

That makes no difference. Battery drain is the same with key in or out.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Hmmm. I've had issues where the antenna kept the ECU alive because the key was still in the ignition.

But it's been a long time since I've left keys in the ignition, so it may have been a one-off (or a fading memory!).
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:18 pm

The antenna is connected to the dash. The ECU goes to sleep until "key-on".

The drain is all dash. Constant 1.9mA with key in or out.
Jumps to 10.48mA momentary every 3 seconds when the "Anti-Theft" light blinks.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:06 pm

If there is an unswitched usb socket disconnect it. They draw power and some draw quite a lot. TO quote stack exchange website "Nearly all AC to DC converters, by design, draw a very small idle current when you aren't charging any devices. "
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:35 am

The negative battery terminals seem to be very weak, mine fell apart.
It wouldn't be easy to find a standard lug to replace it and tuck in there so I just bent one from brass sheet and sweated it on using rosin score solder. Copper sheet would be ok if you can't find brass.
Make sure you scrape the battery posts and apply a little grease to prevent Lead Oxide forming.
Back to top Go down
austoolman
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
austoolman

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:01 am

My battery is connect to a trickle charger and a timer. 1 hour charge every morning. Some suggested leaving the charger on 24/7 might a shorten the battery life. Currently battery is about 3 years old, going well, but a dry spare is waiting on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...   Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Battery Drain... after 2 weeks sitting each time...
Page 1 of 1