GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Which rear shock?

Go down 
+6
Brent S
davem
Converted Duc
sidrat
avgpetro
Lemppari
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Spring is just around the corner and only needs a new shock absorber. The stock shock turned out to be shockingly inadequate when riding two up+ tour gear. I've been waddling through the aftermarket shock market and thought that you guys might have stumbled across some of the makes.

My weight with riding gear on would be around 105 kg, co-rider's maybe 75 and then there's panniers to add.

I recon I want one with hydraulic preload adjuster as I mostly ride alone during weekdays and do touring with the wife in weekends & vacations. Wilbers, Öhlins, Matris, EMC, Mupo are the ones I would choose between. Opinions, experiences and recommendations would be appreciated. Shocked

Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:20 pm

I had to write about that at some point, postponed it long enough...

Stock shock was/is ok for my 70kg, used to botom out riding two up... Realised how serius that was, when dismandled the rear to grease the lincages - was hard to undo the shock and linkage bolts as they were bent.

The problem was that (for me) its a p.i.t.a. to adjust preload every now and then, riding solo or two up...

The solution (always for me) was the MUPO hydraulic preload adjuster, bouhgt it from
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Notes:
- It fits the M52x1,5 thread of the stock sachs
- The stock spring ID is 56mm whille the preloaders OD is 57mm at the point that the spring fits the preloader, so the fit is prety tight (it can go to the right place thanks to spring elasticity)
- The minimhm lenght of the mechanism is 34mm, spring to top end of top nut. Add 1mm more for some free space to turn the mechanism to the most convininet position, total distance spring to shock head at least 35mm. Having the preload set for solo, this distance was 29mm. I had lo lower the spring, keeping its length, did it by taking the part (how is it called) thats at the botom of the spring, the spring "base"(?) as a sample, and had another one machined, same top and botom shape, same cut at the side, 6mm shorter than the original.

Mounted the knob at the inside of the left rear footpeg arm, I have the mechanism fully retracted for solo, I turn the knob clockwise 10 (out of 24) clicks for duo, 12 for duo+luggage.

This was the lowest cost solution I could find, had some doubts, the adjuster prooved ok, also all went fine with the web shop... The only "grey" area is the strenght of the machined part, I hope I won't realise that it was a mistace, the very hard way...
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am

Stelvio shock, bolts stright in, gives you a nice spring rate, more ground clearance, longer stroke and a hydraulic adjuster, which allows it to work 1 or 2 up. The only downsde is finding a nice one, i imported mine from Germany in as new Condition, that along with a map from mark have been the two biggest improvements have made.......although the new fairing is lovely too.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:14 pm

My fully kitted riding weight is waaaaay over the target weight of the stock shock (which is somewhere  between a starving 3rd world child and a small poodle). In fact I was so far over that hard rides at speed would have the shock bottom out and transfer the forces directly to my spine.
I looked at my options and went to a suspension guru in OZ who pointed me to Matris. The shock was paid for, bespoked for my ample weight and shortly after fitted to my bike. I revalved the sofa like front shocks when the rear was fitted.....result new bike with full adjustable shocks that now adjust.
I now go looking for undulations in the road surface so I can marvel at how well the bike just takes it all in its stride. Best upgrade I have done so far? Perhaps not I'd say the Beetle map was, but this is a mandatory accompaniment to the improved fueling. GRiSO now is what it should have been out of the factory!
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:44 am

OK thanks! I am kinda leaning toward Matris at the moment but would like to hear if anybody has had the EMC shock, which seems to have all the adjustment possibilities incl. individual spring rate, at an affordable price.
Back to top Go down

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:10 am

Buy the EMC, you're our new crash test dummy.
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:14 am

I might, as it is probably far better than the stock anyway😉

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:41 am

But I'd rather not act as a crash test dummy again, as I am fresh through a shoulder operation after a heavy crash on an alpine snowboard. Makes life interesting having to solely use your useless hand while the better is in plaster!

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:09 am

Hagon shocks are for the money as good as it gets. They make to personal requirements and always helpful on the phone.

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:23 am

Proverbial can of worms this one. Everyone has an opinion, and they are likely all relevant, despite differing markedly. However, it would be remiss of me not to muddy the waters even further.

I have a Wilber’s rear shock, with Matris fork internals at the front. I’ve read a shitload of posts on this, plus my own limited experience. The Wilbers shock is a very nice unit. Well valved, but then I’m only 73kgs plus gear. If anything, they err on the light side for rear spring rates though. Just my gut feel. They stayed with a 95Nm spring rate for me. It seems ok, but if I indulge in a few too many beers in the next few years I feel it may need to be up-specced.

I’ve heard the polar opposite for Matris. They fit a 135nm spring no matter what your weight. As for the fronts, they are definitely better than stock, but they’re still pretty tight. I don’t mind them, but I certainly think that the spring rate is at the high end for my range.

Hope that I’ve added to your confusion!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 am

davem wrote:
Hagon shocks are for the money as good as it  gets. They make to personal requirements and always helpful on the phone.

These are good cost effective solutions, especally if you buy and install the Stelvio version.
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 am

After a lengthy and muddled processing of data, I ended up ordering this:

Nobody anywhere seems to know anything about the make, couldn't find reliable reviews of the product but they've been around for a while so why not. The price included postage so I should get a lot of features with a reasonable sum of money.

We are literally still waist deep in snow where I live, so you won't be reading about riding impressions for some time. Shocked
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 am

Can't figure out the reason to discuss about a complete shock, since you're already expecting a new spring...
Lemppari wrote:
Spring is just around the corner .....

Or, the spring youre waitng for, is not for the stock sachs shock??
Lemppari wrote:
We are literally still waist deep in snow where I live, ....

LMAO, just got it
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:21 pm

sidrat wrote:
davem wrote:
Hagon shocks are for the money as good as it  gets. They make to personal requirements and always helpful on the phone.

These are good cost effective solutions, especally if you buy and install the Stelvio version.

I'm confused. I went to their website and can only find an option to buy a rear shock for a 2007-2010 1100 GRiSO.

Not that I am buying a rear shock any time soon but I am reading through all the threads on the Ghetto and bookmarking the items I'll want to go back to once I get my bike.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:09 am

FrontRangeRider wrote:
sidrat wrote:
davem wrote:

I'm confused.  I went to their website and can only find an option to buy a rear shock for a 2007-2010 1100 GRiSO.

Not that I am buying a rear shock any time soon but I am reading through all the threads on the Ghetto and bookmarking the items I'll want to go back to once I get my bike.  

If you use the drop down option, where it askes for your bike, capacity, model etc, it only shows a small number of shocks, just tye stelvio into the search area at the top and you will get this :-)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 am

Thank you.  You are correct about the value.  Even at the price of the "special build," that is about half the price of a new Stelvio shock from AF1.

I won't be buying one for a while but I've bookmarked their site.  The Minister of Finance would not treat the funding request favorably if I "submitted" a  request for nearly $1000 of new parts for a bike that we just paid for.  Wink
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am

FrontRangeRider wrote:
Thank you.  You are correct about the value.  Even at the price of the "special build," that is about half the price of a new Stelvio shock from AF1.

I won't be buying one for a while but I've bookmarked their site.  The Minister of Finance would not treat the funding request favorably if I "submitted" a  request for nearly $1000 of new parts for a bike that we just paid for.  Wink

You could keep a look out for a seond hand stelvio shock
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:01 am

Yes, I'll keep looking at eBay. The beauty of the Hagon shock is that the special build version is only about $440. For that price, the new shock is a really good deal.
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 am

Another convert to the Stelvio rear shock here.
I picked up a low mileage unit from a breaker for £150 recently and must admit it is the best 'investment' in the bike I have made.
It soaks up better the medieval road bumps I ride on in rural England and has eliminated the bike's under steering tendency also.
The extra ride height is a bonus for my 6'2" frame so I'm more than happy.
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 am

sidrat wrote:
Stelvio shock, bolts stright in, gives you a nice spring rate, more ground clearance, longer stroke and a hydraulic adjuster, which allows it to work 1 or 2 up. The only downsde is finding a nice one, i imported mine from Germany in as new Condition, that along with a map from mark have been the two biggest improvements  have made.......although the new fairing is lovely too.

Been looking for ages but best option seems to be a Hagon, what do you reckon to them I seem to remember you saying you worked for a suspension manufacturer ? All the 2nd hand Stelvio shocks are nearing that sort of money and I am not that bothered about easy preload adjustability

I dont want to throw thousands at the bike and like the idea of the longer stroke and increased rideheight
Back to top Go down
Dagon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Dagon

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm

davem wrote:

Just curious, how much extra height did you gain?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Dagon wrote:
davem wrote:

Just curious, how much extra height did you gain?

You get exactly 1inch or 25mm
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Ekimyrf wrote:
sidrat wrote:
Stelvio shock, bolts stright in, gives you a nice spring rate, more ground clearance, longer stroke and a hydraulic adjuster, which allows it to work 1 or 2 up. The only downsde is finding a nice one, i imported mine from Germany in as new Condition, that along with a map from mark have been the two biggest improvements  have made.......although the new fairing is lovely too.

Been looking for ages but best option seems to be a Hagon, what do you reckon to them I seem to remember you saying you worked for a suspension manufacturer ? All the 2nd hand Stelvio shocks are nearing that sort of money and I am not that bothered about easy preload adjustability

I dont want to throw thousands at the bike and like the idea of the longer stroke and increased rideheight

They are a great cost effective shock and will build one to your specification. Only one adjustment that does both rebound and compression usually on a 3 to 1 ratio. You want the longer stelvio shock for the ride height, spring rate is up to your weight. The stelvio is 11kg, the standard GRiSO 9.5. I like the weight at 11kg and I am 82kg.
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:39 pm

I am 90kg and quite often take a 60 kg pillion what would you reckon (I will ask them)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which rear shock? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which rear shock?   Which rear shock? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Which rear shock?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next