GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Don't Break the Throttle Cables

Go down 
+3
paulbrice
sidrat
Kiwi_Roy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Don't Break the Throttle Cables Empty
PostSubject: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 am

I took the throttle cables off to inspect and give them a lube,
The 10mm nut holding the cables to the throttle body looks pretty skookum but of course I overtightened one snapping the thread off.
The fitting appears to be steel but it's only brass, now I have to replace a cable or figure out an alternate method of clamping it to the throttle.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:51 am

that's not good thing to happen to anyone, the only answer is a new cable
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 am

Would be hard to fix I think depending on you skills and equipment but there's a load on ebay in various parts of the world that aren't too expensive.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 am

They look really solid in fact they are very fragile, you can't nip them up like a steel cable end.
I might replace them or I might come up with something better.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:44 pm

This happened to me and I ordered a replacement cable immediately. Unfortunately the cable, even though it was the correct part for the bike (according to the parts diagram), did not fit! It was too long and impossible to install. Maybe they changed sizes at some point without changing the part number?

If I were you I'd still order a new cable, but just know there is a chance you won't be able to use it, so you might need a plan B, at least temporarily.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu May 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Solution
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu May 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Excellent.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Thu May 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Cred for that, Roy!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 pm

I'm digging up this old thread because I finally got around to stealing this idea and doing it for myself! The replacement throttle cable didn't fit and I had a temporary repair in place with zip ties until I could figure out something better. I never did figure out something better, but lucky for me, Kiwi_Roy did. I was not able to make anything nearly as refined-looking, but with Dremel tool, crappy bench grinder and hand drill (not to mention bolt cutter and tin snips to remove old nut and collar from the cable) I was able to make something pretty solid. It's not pretty but it sure holds everything in place.

Thanks Roy!

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Glad you liked my bodge job,
The cable end looks like steel but it's only brass and snaps if you treat it like steel.
I used a scrap of 3/4 Al bar for mine
Besides a drill I just use hand tools, an ordinary woodworkers coping saw makes short work of aluminum, better than a hack saw because you can steer it, I cut out a seat pan from 1/8 plate in about an hour.

An acquaintance of mine does absolute stunning aluminium work, here's a couple of pictures of his Royal Enfield owned since new, now sporting a Hilman Imp car engine coupled to a Norton gearbox, note the enclosed rear chain.
Everything silver (apart from the engine) is hand made, the fenders started as 1/8" plate beaten with a hammer and English wheel. forks, seat, muffler, lights and even the mirrors are hand made.

It's a work in progress.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Hey Roy
Great work, surprising how inventing we can get when 'really' needed ....
Stay well and warm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't Break the Throttle Cables   Don't Break the Throttle Cables Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Don't Break the Throttle Cables
Page 1 of 1