GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Flat tappet failures

Go down 
+7
LRSAWYER
Grisonut
motor-timothy
sidrat
Pete Roper
Guzzi Cat
Austin Largan
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Austin Largan
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Austin Largan

Flat tappet failures Empty
PostSubject: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello, I am new to Guzzis and this forum and I am learning about the tappet failure problem. Does anyone have any engine numbers/years or models which are prone to this issue? Or simpler still perhaps, is my model suspect?
My machine is a 2007 GRiSO 1100 (1064) registered Jan 07 in the UK.
I have been going through the posts but do not see anything as yet relating to the 2007 2V head model.
Thanks, any input welcome
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi Austin and welcome to the forum, you don’t need to worry about the tapper failure problem as the 1100 models were not affected. Thumbs Up It was the later 8v 1200 model that shat out it’s tappetts and cam.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm

As GC says, no issues with the top end of the 1100’s. I’d strongly advise you to check and grease the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings though and be prepared to replace both if they’ve never been done.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Austin Largan
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Austin Largan

PostSubject: Thanks guys   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 am

Thanks guys for the info, I was not looking forward to a tear down after just buying it. I'll get onto the swing arm right away. The bike only has 12000 miles on it, do you think they maight be on the way out at this stage?
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:11 am

I done my swingarm bearings at much the same milage and they were fine, just needed grease. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:07 am

It most likely will depend on whether it’s been ridden in the rain or not and how damp the climate is, (Wales = Wet in my experience!) I have anecdotal evidence that some swingarm bearings are greased correctly ex-factory. I personally have never seen it. Even on quite low mileage bikes that come in to us we’re changing out the swingarm bearings and we actually have this odd thing about not over-servicing people’s bikes!

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:50 am

Hey Austin we have a cabal in south wales next month if you fancy meeting some other GRiSO riders, take a look under the cabal section.

Nothing wrong with the 1100, just not as quick as the 1200 :-)
Back to top Go down
Austin Largan
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Austin Largan

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:54 am

Thanks again guys for the info. I have been checking the swing arm assy but I don't see any grease nipples anywhere, I guess I will have to pull it apart??
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:03 am

No nipples alas. You have to pull it apart. A couple of hours work if the bearings are salvageable.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Austin Largan
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Austin Largan

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks Pete,

I believe I will have to wait until I obtain some shop stands for the job. I was kind of disappointed to find the GRiSO does not have a center stand, that must make things difficult if you ever get a flat out on the highway.

Austin
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Austin Largan wrote:
Thanks Pete,

I believe I will have to wait until I obtain some shop stands for the job. I was kind of disappointed to find the GRiSO does not have a center stand, that must make things difficult if you ever get a flat out on the highway.

Austin

I really wish there was some aftermarket center stand for the GRiSO, would be an instant buy.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Austin Largan wrote:
Thanks Pete,

Austin

Why? With tubeless tyres you just bung a plug in. Don’t need a Center stand for that. If a plug won’t fix it you’ll be calling a tow anyway.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Austin Largan
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Austin Largan

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:04 am

Hmmmmm, Ah never dun thunk about that one. I guess I need to pick up a plug kit. I am new to modern motorcycles, the last bike I owned was before the invention of tubeless tyres....back in the days of steam radio.

Thanks again for the help,

Austin
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:29 am

Austin...
In my case the center stand would be for ease of tire changes, other than that Pete is right in the case of a flat.
Back to top Go down
Austin Largan
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Austin Largan

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks Pascal,

I really am new to modern bikes, and I would probably struggle anyway at my age to haul one onto a center stand. My last bike was a Vincent Comet, the 500 c.c. version of the famous Vee twin. The center stand really centered around the rear hub axle and to engage it you had to release a tee handle which locked the stand into the rear mudguard. It required quite a balancing act to achieve hauling it on up there and if you got it wrong, you ended up wearing it.
I do remember the Vincent side stand though, it had a somewhat exaggerated angle which made the machine hang over much lower than most machines, at a really racy angle.
So, Orlando then is it? I live most of the time in West Palm, so we are almost neighbours.

All the best

Austin
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:16 pm

You're two hours away from Orlando, give or take.
So definitely a different zip code. lol
Enjoy your bike. And the Rosso is zee best! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LRSAWYER
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
LRSAWYER

PostSubject: Which year 8V 1200 have tappet issues?   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:45 am

Guzzi Cat wrote:
Hi Austin and welcome to the forum, you don’t need to worry about the tapper failure problem as the 1100 models were not affected.  Thumbs Up It was the later 8v 1200 model that shat out it’s tappetts and cam.

I have heard of the problem, but am struggling to find out which year models are affected. I just bought a 2010 with 6000 km. Is it already a possible issue with it?
Thanks!
Lance
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:33 am

Yes, yours would be in the range 09-13. It will have the newer flatties but still needs the roller conversion to last any long term mileage. Yours should need the heads off kit w/spring shims.
Back to top Go down
LRSAWYER
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
LRSAWYER

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:18 am

Darn, that's disappointing. Oh well, I'll read up more on it and see what I need to do to get the parts and head if off before it fails.
thanks!
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 am

Another viable option is to trade it in for a >2012. Will cost you money, but likely not much more than buying the kit yourself and having it installed and you’ll have a younger bike to boot.
Getting the parts under warranty may be an option, but in my case it took a lot of effort and I waited 6 months to get the kit.
Whatever you do, don’t ignore it and think the problem is overinflated, it’s not, or doesn’t affect your bike, it does.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Given the fact your bike has only done 6,000km it is unlikely the damage will of progressed far although the gross overfueling caused by the GT crap will accelerate the damage.

It’s most likely a ‘C’ kit bike but if it was built at the end of the year you may be lucky enough to only need a ‘B’ kit. See if there is a drill mark in the paint on the head next to the manufacturer’s date stamp. If there is it’s a ‘B’ kit bike.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:41 pm

A 2010 model might also use the "B" kit. Mine did. That means no heads off. You'll need to check the inside if the heads for a drill mark. If you have this mark, you'll need the "B" kit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There's also a possibility that it may already be rollerised. You never know. Pop a valve cover to check.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
LRSAWYER
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
LRSAWYER

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks for all the info! I still need to pick it up, as the UAE DMV has it tied up trying to verify it is a real model. Hopefully all will be straight this week.
I got it from the original owner on consignment at the shop that brought it into the country, so I should be able to get all the details. Plus, I now know what to look for. I have never paid anyone to work on any car or motorcycle I have ever owned, so I will install it myself. Looks like you all have done a great job of documenting what it takes.
Meanwhile, I'll check for the extent of damage and drive it mildly.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 am

I'd really suggest not starting it again until it's been rollerised.
Back to top Go down
LRSAWYER
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
LRSAWYER

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:55 pm

Still not resolved with the DMV paperwork, so had to trailer it home. Still haven't even started it.
Pulled a valve cover to check it out.
Bad news is it has not been rollerized.
Good news is that it has the marks on the head, so I can use the "B" kit.
No dealers in the UAE, so I will need to get the kit in the US and bring it when I go back for a visit.
Looks like Seattle dealer near home is no longer operating.
Anyone know a good source for a "B" kit?
Thanks for all the tech help/info in figuring out what I need!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flat tappet failures   Flat tappet failures Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Flat tappet failures
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next