GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Suggestions for Windshield

Go down 
+12
cognosticator
H-E-ROSS
sideshowbob
motor-timothy
Grisonut
Bill Hagan
nblades
JohnA
sidrat
beetle
Street
FrontRangeRider
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

Suggestions for Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 pm

I had the first ride on my GRiSO today and think I'm going to want to add a windshield.  I'd be interested in your opinions for choices for a tall rider.  I am 6' 1" with a 32" inseam, a long torso and arms.  If sitting on the floor, the top of my head is 37" from the floor.  As best as I can remember, I liked the airflow on my '96 Honda VFR; my helmet was in clean air and the wind was off my chest.  That would be my goal for this windshield.

Any thoughts as to how well the following options would work for me:
Emgo Venom Mk2
MRA Vario Touring Screen
Dart Marlin
Yamaha Stryker Bullet Cowl

Thanks,
Alden
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Yamaha Stryker Bullet Cowl, that's the one for me!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mind you, I'm much shorter at 5'-7"...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 am

I got a Stryker fairing after seeing Street's. However, I found the lip on the screen caused too much buffeting. I'm 6'2".

I found a bloke who could make a straight screen, but he was on the other side of the country. I took it off and revelled in the relative quiet of no-screen wind blast. Now I just have a teeny weenie black striped bikini bug screen.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 am

I have the ermgo, but its an aesthetic choice, i am 5 10 and it is nowhere near as good as the orignal GRiSO screen, but it looks good and suits the bike better. Its only a 2 bolt fit, so it i need some more protection on holiday (i dont like how that reads but never mind) then i can retro fit the screen

Last edited by sidrat on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 am

Alden,
I have a Parabellum Scout fairing with an 8" screen. You can get screens from 8" on up to something that would keep wind off you completely. Many folks thinks this fairling is ugly. You'll have to go look at their website and you can see the one on my bike on this posting. I originally had a 10" screen on the fairing but I felt the higher the screen (more functionality) the uglier it got. But the good thing is that the screen is easily changeable and you could put a higher one on for a trip and the shorter on for around town. This fairing mounts to your headlight and handle bars and they provide nice hardware. It's expensive at $600 and $800 if you get them to paint it like I did.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Mark,

I'm sorry that Stryker didn't work out for you, bummer. And it weren't cheap neither!

By the way, have I offended someone? I seem to be down one cred! Sheesh! Sensitive, at all around here?

Pete (Street)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 pm

No, it weren't! It looked awesome, however. Unfortunately, form over function. For me, at least. Too tall, or not tall enough....

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:00 pm

It sits in the cupboard, if anyone's interested....

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:25 am

It's a personal choice, but I like the Dart fairing. I'm 6'2" and it doesn't provide too much protect, but I still like it.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 am

Had to look up the Emgo.

Is this it?

Too tall for my tastes, but I can see the allure, and form and function seem combined nicely.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 am

The new Kawasaki 900rr will come with a fairing that will work on the GRiSO...
If it's not too expansive (like $300 and up), I'd go that route. Wink
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Does anyone have experience with adjustable 'clip-on' spoilers on top of the small OEM windscreen? (such as this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

I purchased the small OEM windscreen about a year ago but other than looking cool and protecting the dash when riding in rain, it really doesn't do anything....at all.
So I'm pondering the thought of adding one of those adjustable spoilers on it, as I'm going on a long trip to Naples this summer (excavation in Pompeii) which means loooooong stretches of highway. However the 'italian' shape of the OEM windscreen doesn't inspire much confidence that such adjustable spoilers would even attach properly. Plus, do they even help at all against the wind?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

Had to look up the Emgo.

Is this it?

Too tall for my tastes, but I can see the allure, and form and function seem combined nicely.

Bill

You would need a special license to ride that!
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Yep. And think how much fun taking the test would be.
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I purchased a NLA original GRiSO windscreen on ebay. The mounting is very sturdy and adjustable.
It took a while for one to come up but I am happy that I was finally able to procure one.
I tip it forward and up for the winter and lower and back for the summer. The turbulence in the winter position is a little annoying but it makes for a slightly warmer ride. I can't figure out why this accessory was discontinued.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:27 am

Mine came with a Puig windscreen

I usually cut down every motorcycle windscreen that comes on a bike but decided to buy the Emgo small fairing.

I guess I am getting too old at 68 and the wind on my chest was too much and made me tired so I have gone back to the Puig. Like H E Ross I have slanted it backwards a little for more air and in colder days I can make it more upright and it only take a couple of minutes to do so
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Still wrestling with the choices... I like the look of the GRiSO touring windscreen and note that many folks have commented as to how they like it.  Does anyone have an idea as to what aftermarket windshield is closest to the OEM windshield in size and appearance?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

I like my MRA speed screen.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:08 pm

What color is that one? Is that the light smoke or the black (I can't tell from the photo)? It looks good and I have the same color bike.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Its the black. Rides up against the dash, I used some rubber tape for a cushion.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Can you adjust the angle on it?  As in higher for cold weather and lower during the summer?  Or to tune out the turbulence?  I love the airflow of the naked bike but after 190 miles in 40-50 degree temps, my arms were tired of holding on and I was on the edge of being cold all day.  On the other hand, my helmet was in clean air and I had no turbulence around it.  My wife's bike (with a tall windshield) had turbulence that I could hear over the intercom.  

I think I am spoiled by the big windshield and cruise control on the Tenere...  
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

I have it tipped back as far as it will go, hits the dash, could probably push the whole thing forward and get more angle but would look fuggly. IMO.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Handle bar mount so yes there is adjustment.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:50 pm

The closest to OEM I could find (before I found used OEM screen) is Puig C2. It's slightly bigger than OEM & pushes wind away nicely for me at 6'2".  Because it fits just to handlebars I bought some universal brackets to replace Puig ones as they were a bit crude.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Windshield   Suggestions for Windshield Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Windshield
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next