GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Considering a GRiSO

Go down 
+10
Stubbie
beetle
Diablo Loco
tocino
Street
sideshowbob
GHTE
Papa Lazarou
sidrat
PhilB
14 posters
AuthorMessage
PhilB
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
PhilB

Considering a GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm

I do not currently own a Guzzi, but I like them and have ridden a few, and one is a shortlist contender for my next bike.

My last bike was a 1993 Ducati M900 Monster, which I bought new (at Sonny Angel's in San Diego -- he also sold Guzzis for many years). I rode that Duc for 24 years and 265K miles, until we got taken out by a hit-and-run minivan last October. I'm about fit to ride seriously again, and am looking to my next bike. Something I would be wanting to turn over 250K on in about the year 2040.

I want to aim a bit more to sport-touring than the M900 was. I could ride it 500-600 miles a day pretty easily, and rode it to 35 states plus parts of Canada and Mexico, but it wasn't really best suited for that.

My top contenders, of what I've tested so far, are: Ducati 939 SuperSport (the easy safe choice), Moto Guzzi GRiSO (grabs me every time I ride one, also the cheapest on my list), KTM 1290 SuperDuke (the gonzo choice), or Motus MST (the topshelf choice, but a bit of a risk).

PhilB
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:46 pm

I have had seven Ducati monsters, they are a great bike. Of all the bikes i have owned (72) the nearest thing to a GRiSO is the monster.

Take a ride on one and it makes the monster seem like its effeminate half brother. Performance wise they would be similar as well, the GRiSO probably feels faster, but on the road there would not be much in it.

Your other choices are really a lot different with up to date performane and electronics.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:03 am

Glad you are okay. Sounds like you can afford the Motus-that would be very tempting.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm

GRiSO would be great, do not dismiss the Guzzi sport 1200. It is a great sports/tourer. It has a bit more rear end space for pillion and top box and panniers etc.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Skip the Motus, and get both a GRiSO and the KTM.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Phil. You've come to a very biased place - get the GRiSO!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am

PhilB wrote:
I rode that Duc for 24 years and 265K miles

Whoa! That's a lot of miles on a Monster!

I like the idea of getting the GRiSO and the KTM.
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Easily the Motus. What a fantastic and unique bike. That understressed torque monster in the MST version and the build quality and components used, looks like it would last forever.

Grisos are an unusual niche bike but 250,000 miles out of one? It's no 88 LeMans and, Piaggio...

500 mile days are also a little crippling and the fuel range sucks. I love mine, but I'm not blind to its shortcomings. Of all my bikes, it gets a fair bit of use but of my Guzzi's, it's a toss up whether I prefer my Sport 1100. For long distances, the Laverda SFC1000 is far more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
PhilB
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
PhilB

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm sure these issues have been discussed before on this site somewhere, but I don't know where.

a) Are there any significant design or build flaws with the Grisos? I've heard about the valve tappet thing, and been told to get one after 2013. Anything else?

b) What are some of the best options for that gawdawful muffler?

c) What are some of the best options for bags? I don't need the full monty, just a decent pair of saddlebags would do nicely.

d) Diablo Loco, when you say "fuel range sucks", what does that mean? 150 miles I could live with; 100 miles not so much.

Everyone -- I travel for work a lot, and can only have one bike when I'm away from home. So I'm looking for the bike that does everything well enough.
The Monster was that bike for many years. So the GRiSO-and-KTM solution, while financially achievable, would not work.
I need one or the other, or one of the other alternatives.

Thanks, all.
PhilB
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 pm

I push it a bit but moderate pace 100 to 120 miles to reserve and about 30 after.

Back to top Go down
PhilB
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
PhilB

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Diablo Loco wrote:
I push it a bit but moderate pace 100 to 120 miles to reserve and about 30 after.
OK, that is a concern for me.

Thanks,
PhilB
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Cruising at 70-75mp/h, I can get 130 miles before the fuel light comes on. I get another 20-25 miles before I'd be walking. That's with my 1400. I could get 145 miles with the 1200. That all goes out the door once you start exercising the throttle hand. YMMV.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 am

Best bike I've ever owned!

I always dreamed of a big single in a road race chassis (remember Tigcraft anyone?) for the road but it was never going to happen - the GRiSO has scratched that itch.

Last weekend it was a naked hooligan machine blarting (yes, Blarting) around Snowdonia national park, this week I've bolted on panniers, 46L top box and a screen in preparation for 2 weeks in the Pyrenees. It really will do it all.

The only flaw that it has is the giggle switch, I'm getting 150miles to the light when riding with the wife, sometimes we're looking for fuel after 90miles when having fun and that's not an issue because I'm ready for coffee and cake if I've been blarting.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 am

A) design flaws are the tappets. There are other oddities, like to O ring sealed spokes. It's a Guzzi. Guzzi have always had strange design ideas (on earlier ones, you had to drop the sump to change the oil filter-that sort of stuff).

B) There's a wide choice of pipes for this thing. Beetle will sort you out a ECU map. He's a bit of a genius.

C) Bags-I use Hepco and Becker C bows. Very good.

D) As already said, 150 miles on a tank is do-able.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue May 01, 2018 11:46 am

beetle wrote:
I can get 130 miles before the fuel light comes on.

I get about the same mileage.

I like my Zard muffler Smile Really good sound but not annoyingly loud and weighs about 6000lbs less than the stock can. That's a rough estimate.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Robinson_Spike wrote:
Best bike I've ever owned!

I always dreamed of a big single in a road race chassis (remember Tigcraft anyone?)

I used to race one :-)

Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 pm

There is a nice GRiSO Tenni for sale on eBay US at the moment $6600 6400 miles luggage racks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Apart from the fact it almost certainly is a flat tappet machine and has all the GT crap on it so it'll be an overfuelling munter.

The crap can be pulled off and it can be rollerised but it makes it into an $8.6K bike then.

Pete
Back to top Go down
PhilB
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
PhilB

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat May 12, 2018 11:22 pm

The money isn't really the issue. I keep bikes (or cars) for decades, so a few thousand dollars isn't the issue. The GRiSO is the cheapest bike on my shortlist, so if I go with one, it'll probably be as close to a new one as I can get. I'm just evaluating what bike I will enjoy the most, over the longest time, with the intent being something I will have fun with for 20+ years and 250K+ miles. I will admit that the low fuel range of the GRiSO has put it lower on my list, for now.

PhilB
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun May 13, 2018 12:02 am

I have no doubt the Motus engine is awesome. But $31-37k for a chain drive?  Even if money is no object, I’ll take a GRiSO with its small tank and bulletproof shaft drive.
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun May 13, 2018 2:38 am

There are several new Grisos in the US on CycleTrader.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://columbuscraftcocktailtour.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 am

OK...In the country side with beetle map (which is a must have for the 8V engine) I used to get 150 miles before the fuel light comes on.
At a constant speed, say 80mph, you'll see that light come on at 130 or about so with the reserve you'll get your 150 miles range.
In town and/or on Hooligan mode, you're at 100miles range max but I know you're not getting the GRiSO for that.
Basically, if you gonna tour with a GRiSO that is set with Mark's map you're in the 150 miles per tank so do not discard the bike based on that.
A Motus? Pleeeeease...while cool, the price tag is a joke. Don't care how reliable it is.
KTM? Expensive to maintain and also wayyy overpriced. 250K miles on that is a scary thought but the new generation bikes might get you there.
As for the Guzzi, bullet proof drive shaft and ease of maintenance, gearbox and decent suspension if you don't weight more than 175 pounds, but easily upgradable.
The engine is finally sorted since 2015 with the Cali sump set up...no more spacer gasket failure like I had on my 2013.
I can't see why you wouldn't go to the 250K miles mark with diligent maintenance...I believe some folks have already hit the 100K mark on a roller 8V mill
You might get the typical Italian gremlins like oil pressure sensor and other electrical annoyance but it's easily addressed and won't let you stranded.
Lastly, the price of the bike is appealing and there are still brand new left over Grisos available that can be had for under $10.000.
A friend of mine got a 2016 shipped to Florida from Cali for about $9500. Can't beat that! How do you like the Motus now?? Very Happy
Lastly, my GRiSO is set up with the GIVI Monokey side cases...sweet set up. The Hepco Becker kit is also nice.
Someone mentioned the 1200 Sport being better suited for touring...I agree but so is a Gold Wing or FJR.

So if you have the hots for the mighty GRiSO, go for it. 2015 and above is the way to go...
Back to top Go down
PhilB
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
PhilB

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun May 13, 2018 8:13 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
I have no doubt the Motus engine is awesome. But $31-37k for a chain drive?  Even if money is no object, I’ll take a GRiSO with its small tank and bulletproof shaft drive.
Shaft drive is a nice-to-have, but it's not a determining factor for me. The Ducati Monster I rode for 24 years had a chain. The Ducati 939 SuperSport and the KTM 1290 SuperDuke that make up the rest of my shortlist are also chain drive.

PhilB
Back to top Go down
PhilB
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
PhilB

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 am

Grisonut wrote:
OK...In the country side with beetle map (which is a must have for the 8V engine) I used to get 150 miles before the fuel light comes on.
At a constant speed, say 80mph, you'll see that light come on at 130 or about so with the reserve you'll get your 150 miles range.
In town and/or on Hooligan mode, you're at 100miles range max but I know you're not getting the GRiSO for that.
Basically, if you gonna tour with a GRiSO that is set with Mark's map you're in the 150 miles per tank so do not discard the bike based on that.
A Motus? Pleeeeease...while cool, the price tag is a joke. Don't care how reliable it is.
KTM? Expensive to maintain and also wayyy overpriced. 250K miles on that is a scary thought but the new generation bikes might get you there.
As for the Guzzi, bullet proof drive shaft and ease of maintenance, gearbox and decent suspension if you don't weight more than 175 pounds, but easily upgradable.
The engine is finally sorted since 2015 with the Cali sump set up...no more spacer gasket failure like I had on my 2013.
I can't see why you wouldn't go to the 250K miles mark with diligent maintenance...I believe some folks have already hit the 100K mark on a roller 8V mill
You might get the typical Italian gremlins like oil pressure sensor and other electrical annoyance but it's easily addressed and won't let you stranded.
Lastly, the price of the bike is appealing and there are still brand new left over Grisos available that can be had for under $10.000.
A friend of mine got a 2016 shipped to Florida from Cali for about $9500. Can't beat that! How do you like the Motus now?? Very Happy
Lastly, my GRiSO is set up with the GIVI Monokey side cases...sweet set up. The Hepco Becker kit is also nice.
Someone mentioned the 1200 Sport being better suited for touring...I agree but so is a Gold Wing or FJR.

So if you have the hots for the mighty GRiSO, go for it. 2015 and above is the way to go...
Thank you. I'm looking at a bike for all sorts of uses, which includes (indeed is mostly) town/city/commuting mileage, so the short range for that is concerning.

I'm not terribly concerned with basic maintenance cost, or minor gremlins; what I need is for the basic design to be durable and reliable if maintained. Which is the Guzzi's strong point, and main attraction (in addition to the sheer charisma of it). My concern with the KTM is the durability and longevity; I'm just not finding any feedback from the KTM groups about that. The Motus is also an unknown there, but looks to be very well designed for it. Don't knock it until you've ridden one; it's a remarkable machine. It's also, with it's longitudinal V engine, remarkably Guzzi-like. At least one reviewer has noted that it feels most "like an angry Moto Guzzi". And the SuperSport Duc pops up again as a very fine bike -- the easy and safe choice for me.

Again, thanks for the input.

PhilB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering a GRiSO   Considering a GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Considering a GRiSO
Page 1 of 1