GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Startus Interruptus Fixed

Go down 
+12
moby
bahamazoo
Oz1200Guzzi
Clancy
b3177h
LBC Tenni
JohnA
motor-timothy
Kiwi_Roy
beetle
sideshowbob
FrontRangeRider
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 pm

The symptoms sound like a battery on the way out. However to get the dash to read higher volts, I disconnected recrimped the two pole plug from the alternator - this is on the other side of the two big fuses. When voltage on the dash gets low, I disconnect and reconnect this plug/socket several time. Presumably it's cleaning the contacts...
Voltage on dash show more.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 21, 2020 10:04 pm

whether you go the MPH kit or make it yourself (satisfaction/skill points) there is a good write up on here, with plenty of pics too..... its pretty easy and you don't require an electrical engineering degree to MacGyver it up.

- just make sure when you shrink the heat shrink with a lighter... be sure you do it on the bench not when its fitted on the bike... scratch
my 9yo pointed out my Darwin Award attempt "dad, should you be holding a flame next to the fuel tank..." Embarassed Embarassed

strangely, I'm still here Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 am

Heat shrink with a lighter? You buffoon!

Heat gun or soldering iron. Tsk.

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah battery is about 3 years old. My Ducati battery needs replaced too... it’s 5 years old so guess like I’m spending $200 sooner than later haha
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 am

I don't believe the MPH kit does anything about the wimpy wire from the relay to the solenoid, it needs to be a couple of sizes larger. When I replaced this wire on my 2007 I ran the wire past the positive battery terminal so if all else fails I can touch it to the battery bypassing everything including the neutral interlock, I removed a small portion of insulation doubled it back and covered the bare part with a piece of heat shrink slipped on but not shrunk.
This feature has proven useful a couple of times once when the bike tipped over while waiting for a ferry (the tip over switch prevented it from cranking) and when checking the compression on cylinders the other day. I didn't turn the bike on so there was no fuel delivery or ignition sparking away it just cranked.
Its also nice to know that the starter and battery are in order and not have to wonder if it's a silly wiring fault thats preventing the bike from turning over.
I will add my usual warning about making sure the bike is in Neutral so you don't launch it and pull the clutch in to be double certain.
BTW don't forget to give it full throttle while checking the compression otherwise its got nothing to compress.
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 28, 2020 1:59 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
I don't believe the MPH kit does anything about the wimpy wire from the relay to the solenoid, it needs to be a couple of sizes larger. When I replaced this wire on my 2007 I ran the wire past the positive battery terminal so if all else fails I can touch it to the battery bypassing everything including the neutral interlock, I removed a small portion of insulation doubled it back and covered the bare part with a piece of heat shrink slipped on but not shrunk.
This feature has proven useful a couple of times once when the bike tipped over while waiting for a ferry (the tip over switch prevented it from cranking) and when checking the compression on cylinders the other day. I didn't turn the bike on so there was no fuel delivery or ignition sparking away it just cranked.
Its also nice to know that the starter and battery are in order and not have to wonder if it's a silly wiring fault thats preventing the bike from turning over.
I will add my usual warning about making sure the bike is in Neutral so you don't launch it and pull the clutch in to be double certain.
BTW don't forget to give it full throttle while checking the compression otherwise its got nothing to compress.

Hi Kiwi Roy,

Just yesterday for some reason the lights weren't on in the speedo nacelle. I hit the starter button and nearly launched the bike - but full brake application and a nearly dislocated thumb stopped things. Is it the case that the bike will still turn the starter motor even if the bike in in gear? I don't mind handling weapon that has it's idiosyncrasies, and have learnt my lesson, but thought this must be symptomatic of a fault?
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2020 1:40 pm

So I went for a decent ride today ~438 miles over 8 hours and bike performed perfect- no problems at all. Get it home in the driveway and unload the beer from the sidecases to put them in the fridge, (can't let it get too warm)

Go out to reposition the bike and sure as shit it won't turn on,- FYI the bike is hot as crap, its near to 90F in the sun and I've been pushing it almost non stop the past 8 hours. reading 12.4-12.6volts on the dash and hear some clicking under the seat- Looks like I'll its the startus interruptus?

Just want to rule out other things here- but could it also be an old starter switch? I'm thinking probably not since I did hear clicking from under the seat when I pressed the starter button.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Perhaps those clicks you heard were Morse Code, telling you it wanted one of those beers......
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 31, 2020 4:13 am

Would seem odd to me that an 11 year old GRiSO would start that now. Mine did it after year 1. Mine doesn’t read higher than yours on the battery-even with a new one until it starts up and stays at about 13.8
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:43 am

b3177h wrote:
So I went for a decent ride today ~438 miles over 8 hours and bike performed perfect- no problems at all. Get it home in the driveway and unload the beer from the sidecases to put them in the fridge, (can't let it get too warm)

Go out to reposition the bike and sure as shit it won't turn on,- FYI the bike is hot as crap, its near to 90F in the sun and I've been pushing it almost non stop the past 8 hours.  reading 12.4-12.6volts on the dash and hear some clicking under the seat- Looks like I'll its the startus interruptus?

Just want to rule out other things here- but could it also be an old starter switch? I'm thinking probably not since I did hear clicking from under the seat when I pressed the starter button.
It certainly sounds like Startus Interuptus to me
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you look at the number plate light (18) or the small lamp inside the headlight (54) you will see they are fed from the same yellow wire that feeds the start relay.
Watch one of those bulbs while you press start, you will see it go dim as the solenoid sucks down the Voltage.
All the MPH kit does is replace the yellow wire feed with a new one direct from the battery, if you cut the wire just before it splits to feed both relays (2)&(3) and crimp on a new #16 or #14 wire from the battery through a 20 Amp fuse it should be good.  Just to re-iterate Battery, through 20 Amp fuse, to feed both relays. Tape up the live end of the yellow so it can't short to chassis.
To complete the job replace the Red/White or is it Red/Yellow wire from relays to solenoid with the same size wire you used to feed the relays
It's optional to run it past the battery so if all else fails you can bare off a section of insulation and touch it on to hot wire the starter. (with the bike in Neutral of course)
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:12 pm

[quote="Kiwi_Roy"]
b3177h wrote:

It's optional to run it past the battery so if all else fails you can bare off a section of insulation and touch it on to hot wire the starter. (with the bike in Neutral of course)

In the early daze of Startus Interruptus, I carried under the seat, a short piece of wire with a alligator (or was it a crocodile?) clip attached to one end. It was easy to attach to the positive of the battery, and brush it across the top of the starting relay (there was a connection there somewhere).

Later, I cut the yellow wire and ran it directly to the positive of the battery via an in-line fuse. No more Startus Interruptus.
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am

Installed the Kit from MPH Cycles this weekend- I also got a good video documenting this- is there a good 'GRiSO' youtube channel that I can upload the video to for demonstration purposes? Might help some folks out in the future.
Back to top Go down
Wallqvist
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Wallqvist

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:34 pm

b3177h wrote:
Installed the Kit from MPH Cycles this weekend- I also got a good video documenting this- is there a good 'GRiSO' youtube channel that I can upload the video to for demonstration purposes? Might help some folks out in the future.

Think I got this disease aswell, please put it up on YouTube if you have the time. Cheers, Johan
Back to top Go down
https://www.wallqvistphotography.com
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:09 am

The fuse will blow fairly quick because you now have a better feed to the relay, feeding it more Amps.
One thing the MPH kit doesnt address is the wimpy wire from the relay to the solenoid, you could address that by putting another one in parallel or splicing it to a larger one.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:54 pm

The wires in the MPH kit.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Startus Interruptus Fixed   Startus Interruptus Fixed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Startus Interruptus Fixed
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2