GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
agriff
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
agriff

Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Empty
PostSubject: Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08   Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Icon_minitime1Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Dashboard errors showing an X under memo for DSB 07 and DSB 08

I have just checked tappets, old rocker gaskets were stuck hard and came off slowly in many pieces, tried really carefully to keep gasket bits away from valve area but a few tiny bits got through the protection I had wrapped around, thought I'd cleaned it all up but a couple of tiny pieces (really tiny) probably disappeared down the pushrod tube. Took it for a ride and had problems after a couple of miles with engine revs. Found this post:

Pete Roper wrote:

Thing is 95% of all oil pressure/oil light related issues are related to the wretched switch or its connector so it's always worth checking that first. After that it's worth dropping the sump and spacer on pre 2015 CARC bikes, (Bellagio excluded.) as a bit of gasket may of been spat out around an oil gallery, (Seen that twice and John at Motocicolo in Sydney called me up one day when he was having an oil pressure warning on a bike. I advised him to check the gaskets and sure enough that's what it was on that bike.). Only after those things have been checked and/or changed would I tear into the timing chest to check the oil pump. I mentioned it simply so people can be aware. It is NOT something that is a common fault or likely to be a problem.

Pete

I've just changed the oil too, will it need oil and filter replacing? (most expensive oil I've ever bought!) Or will oil filter clean up gasket bits if this is what it is? Help much appreciated  scratch
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08   Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Icon_minitime1Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Did you pre-fill your oil filter before installation? If not that is most likely the cause of the memorised errors. Clear them and see if they come back, they probably won’t.

Use Valpolini gaskets and you’ll never have one break up again. Pushrod end will likely pulverise bits of gasket and filter and screen will take care of it. Go ride. Worry if problem returns.

Pete
Back to top Go down
agriff
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
agriff

PostSubject: Re: Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08   Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Icon_minitime1Sat May 26, 2018 1:19 am

Should have mentioned that I've been for a couple of rides since changing oil, went fine.

Whoever did previous rocker removal must have put the gaskets in dry, was stuck very tight on left and took hours to clean both sides. I've always used grease on gaskets, hope I don't have this issue again.
I've been using Gutsibits for spares, they only supply one type of gasket, it is wider than original.

Shall I just clear errors and try again? The symptoms were loss of power after 2 miles and gradually getting worse, had to get a push from the pub up the hill to where I live. Is there an oil screen aswell as filter?

When rockers were off  could see a small puddle of water on top of both exhaust valve seats. This surprised me as I nearly always go for a decent run to warm her up, last time out was 50 miles with a stop halfway.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08   Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Icon_minitime1Sat May 26, 2018 3:40 am

Hang on, can we go back to the beginning?

What have you actually done to this machine since it last ran properly?
Back to top Go down
agriff
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
agriff

PostSubject: Re: Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08   Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Icon_minitime1Sat May 26, 2018 6:39 am

Apologies, should have made it clearer what happened when.

Been running fine after oil change, couple of months ago.
Just checked tappets, no adjustment needed, went for ride, gradually losing power.
Had to push it last bit home uphill.
Running problem might be unrelated to valve check, maybe I disturbed something? But did a diagnosis, came up with the errors above, searched on google, saw Pete's post, wondered if this could be my problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08   Gasket in oil? DSB 07,  DSB 08 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gasket in oil? DSB 07, DSB 08
Page 1 of 1