GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A Shocking Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

A Shocking Question Empty
PostSubject: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

Yes, I know this is a GRiSO site, and, yes, this is a question about the rear shock on my Norge — a HyperPro emulsion model (460?).

But I recall the old chicken commercial saying: “Parts is parts.”  Mebbe; mebbe not.

Here goes.

So, while riding the Norge to Kentucky recently [see P.S., below], I thought the suspension started to act “funny.”  I was solo, but, as usual, had more tools and other gear than I needed, so while hardly at GVWR, I was more dreadnaught than PT boat.

On the way back home, in particular, I noted some heaving — the Norge, not I — and realized that something was amiss with the shock.  As did Scarlett O’Hara, I decided to "think about that tomorrow.”

Tomorrow came and, predictably, I forgot.  Doh.

A week later, Kathi wanted to combine the western N.Y. rally with a “skiing trip” to Erie, i.e., to visit her dad and other Kolakowskis, along with some Piekanskis and other Polish relatives.

Off we went.  I soon “remembered” the shock, but muddled on.  Riding two-up on a rear spring only is …erm … fascinating.  At the first stop, I told Kathi.  She said she loved the up & down bouncing.  I decided not to think about that comment!  scratch  Shocked  Embarassed

OK, we are back home safely, and my question (at last!  cheers ) is this:

Is rebuilding a rear shock something I might be able to tackle (successfully) myself or is that better left to the “authorized dealer — [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] — or someone local with skills, tools, and experience?

Grazie,

Bill

P.S.  I sent this tale around to Guzzisti whose email addies I had.  If you are not in that select group  Rolling Eyes , and have any interest at all in mutton and motos, waste some time here: Mutton 'n More (or Less)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

Send it out Bill, them be special tools, techniques and skills etc.
Especially refilling with nitrogen ........................

New seal and oil be cheap, and if shims have broken, there be your problem.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

The cost of the tools and the required *Secret Squirrel* knowledge mean that in all honesty I’d farm it out. The trick is finding someme who is really good.

In your case, knowing nothing of the firm you suggest, it may be a bit of a gamble but someone has to take the risk and they are still in business,

For the record I farm out ALL of my suspension work to a bloke who is top notch. Not because I can’t *Physically* do it but because he’s much more knowledgeable and experienced than me. So what would I be doing for either myself or my customers if I took it on myself? This bloke does this for a living and builds his own very interesting front ends for the track! Why should I pretend I have his skills and knowledge? I don’t!

Take the bugger off and send it to someone else. Really Bill, it’s easier, safer and in the long run cheaper! You do have a heavier spring already I think? If not, get one! Yes Kathi is a delightful waif but even waifs will overcome the pathetic biro spring on the original Norge shocks!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am

I have aligned the output ports of X-ray tubes
I have calibrated the coincidence of positron emissions
I have wooed liquid helium into the depths of 3T magnets
I have suffered the penetration of gamma events to tune photomultiplier tubes
I have put my fist under the compression plate of a titty squishers

...but I would never attempt to rebuild a shock absorber. It's a dark art, Bill. Be afraid....

affraid

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I don't know if you have a rebuild place in mind but last week I talked to Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta about rebuilding a Stelvio shock that was on ebay. Great people to deal with, I didn't get the shock but they can rebuild it for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks to all. Some funny (and frightening Shocked ) stuff there.  jocolor cheers

I stopped by the local Ducati dealer -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -- and will take it there.

Unlike many hoity-toity Ducati (and a certain Deutsche) places, this one is a very friendly.

Anyway, the guy who does the work invited me back to the service area and talked to me about the process.  Impressive, but will wait for the proof before declaring the pudding perfect.  Wink

Jerry, if I still made those monthly "Mom trips" to Atlanta, I'd likely go with Traxxon.  The shock in question wears one of their "socks," Traxxion Shock Sock

Company (and grandbabies) coming, we off now to yard work, which is way less fun than Guzzi wrenching.

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Bill, like all things mechanical, its quite straight forward, unless you have never done it before!

Although i have re-built loads of shocks and worked at a suspension manufactuer, so also been involved in them being designed, built and refurbished you will often find that finding the settings from suppliers is sometimes like pulling teeth (sorry to any dentists on here) as it getting the spare parts.

save your time and hassle and find someone local you trust :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Shocking Question   A Shocking Question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A Shocking Question
Page 1 of 1