GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ram Mount Question

Go down 
+2
kiwi dave
sidrat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 pm

I want to put a Ram ball mount on the handlebar risers, is the bolt that holds the handlebars on 1.25mm or 1.5mm pitch?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:23 pm

M8 x 30, gotta be 1.25mm pitch. I don't think they do a 1.5mm pitch.

But the Ram mount is imperial (actually SAE) thread, i.e. in inches.

I use a handlebar U-shaped clamp provided by Ram on my GRiSO's radar detector mount, I placed it just to the outside of the LH handlebar mount. the radar detector needs to be operated by the left hand, otherwise the throttle gets closed!
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm

The top clamp bolt is M8 x 30
The flanged bolt from the underside is M10 x 40
Without removing one I can’t tell if they are fine or coarse but would expect these to be fine.
M8 fine = 1.00mm
M10 fine = 1.25mm
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 pm

many thanks
Back to top Go down
rupew
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
rupew

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

These should be coarse threads - fine are like rocking horse poo (a bit hard to find). The only fine thread (I think) is the thread on the engine temp sensor. I have replaced these bolts on mine from our "normal" stock, which are all coarse.

8mm - 1.25 pitch is coarse (fine is 1.00 pitch)
10mm - 1.50 pitch is coarse (medium is 1.25; fine is 1.00)

All of the even sizes (2.0, 3.0, 4.0 etc etc) have a fine/coarse; 5.0, 10.0, 12.0, 14.0, 18.0, 20.0 have a fine/medium/coarse pitch. Half sizes (1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.2, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 & 5.5) have only a single pitch - though you will not find them on our bikes...

Funnily enough, the drill sizes for tapping these holes are mostly number/letter drills, or plain old imperial. Weird huh!

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Cool. I didn't know you could get the balls to mount like that. I've been living with this horror show.

I'm going shopping!

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I guess my question is has that ram mount shown got a metric thread?  Or is it "hollow" and any suitable bolt can be used?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm

It's just a hole. The kit comes with three M8 bolts (or screws) of 55, 60 & 65 millimetre length. The HD crowd have to source 5/16" hardware. Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 pm

rupew wrote:

That is exactly the solution i need :-)

It does look as though your instrument panel seems be flatter fitting than mine, or is it just the angle of the piccy?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 pm

beetle wrote:
Cool. I didn't know you could get the balls to mount like that. I've been living with this horror show.

I'm going shopping!

cheers

Mark

That truly is ugly, i had a similar installation and was so aesthetically offended by it that i would spend the time taking it on and off every time i used it!
Back to top Go down
rupew
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
rupew

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 am

sidrat wrote:
rupew wrote:

That is exactly the solution i need :-)

It does look as though your instrument panel seems be flatter fitting than mine, or is it just the angle of the piccy?

Hi - its just the standard dash - must be the angle as you say - got the ram mount from infinity motorcycles - about £15 if memory serves me right... torque it up and you're off!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ram Mount Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ram Mount Question   Ram Mount Question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ram Mount Question
Page 1 of 1