GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Car engine Oil

Go down 
+6
Dilliw
Guzzi Cat
paulbrice
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
GHTE
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Guys, I was wondering that since the Guzzi runs a dry clutch why we don't use quality automotive/car synthetic oil.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Eyoo, I'm staying out of this one.

However, providing it satisfies the requirements of the specifications as set down in the manual, there should be no issue. Oils aint oils Sol...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:17 am

Now you've done it. All the creepy oil people will emerge now.

No one said you couldn't use car oils. I use Penrite 10-Tenths Premium 10W-60, which is non-secular and can be used in anything requiring full synthetic. The manual specifies 10W-60 meeting or exceeding CCMC G-4 API SG. It doesn't say motorcycle specific.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 am

I'm a creepy one......Beetle is correct the recommended oil meets car specs - 10W60 is 'just' the viscometric rating for starting & normal operating temperature. CCMC and API (and VW 500/501/505 etc ,BMW, DB p226. blah blah etc ) are based on car engines bolted into chassis tests for specific duration & post test measurement of wear/deposits/laquer/ring stick. Motorcycle industry can't afford to destroy too many engines to create industry standard tests so they use car engines.....and don't forget some cars over years have also had wet clutches...
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 am

Valvoline VR1 Racing 10w60 car engine oil, the product information sheet specifys under the Applications section that it is “suitable for some Moto Guzzi, Husqvarna,Aprilia motorcycle models”*

I haven’t used it myself but I think it would be fine.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

The recommended AGIP oil has the 4T (motorcycle) rating but the specification does not require it.

The usual hangup with oil people is that Guzzi specifies SG, an older version of the API ratings that’s been obsolete for cars since the early 90’s but that modern motorcycle oils like the AGIP continue to use along with their 4T rating.  That’s no biggie for motorcycles but for cars SG is obsolete.  Oil folks get backed in to still needing  a 4T oil because for them their oil has to be SG.

I don’t get hung up on the “has to be SG and only SG” thing.  The  “specification” from Guzzi is 10W60 that meets or exceeds SG and all of the newer API ratings are backward compatible to the older versions.  I use a 10W60 API SL car oil and there are plenty of oil analysis sheets out on the web that show it has plenty of ZDDP for my fragile Guzzi.  It just costs a whole lot less!
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Many thanks guys, I am looking for some savings as I change the oil at least once mid service and Motul full syn and Motorex full syn are now really pricey
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Buy a 20L drum and drum pump of Penrite, it’ll pay for itself in three changes.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Funny thing Pete, I am just on my way to the Ovens Valley Parts Centre to do that very same thing.
Hope matters at your end are getting better for both of you.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 pm

I found my local car parts place has a huge selection of Penrite. What he doesn't have is available next day, if you pay up front. Now on my 2nd 20 litre drum of Mr Penrite's finest. As you say Pete, returns investment in 3 changes. The next few are virtual freebies, apart from your time and a filter.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 am

GHTE wrote:
Hi Guys, I was wondering that since the Guzzi runs a dry clutch why we don't use quality automotive/car synthetic oil.

But... we do!!! My 1100s manual suggests "ENI Racing 4T" (no longer available), that was automotive oil.

We dont need motorcycle optimized oil, not only because of the dry clutch, but because unlike most of the motorcycles, the oil does not need to lubricate the gearbox.
Having a flat tapped pushrod, we need some zzdp, that (normaly) is redused at API SM and SN to minimize catalyst poisoning.
Some make oils that claim to be API SN whille having extremely high zzdp content - can't imagine how they do that, anyway, I prefer to protect my cam and tappets than the cat...

I couldn't get Pernite here (Greece), so I got Redline... Other choices could be Fuchs Pro S, Millers CFS, Gulf Competition...
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am

I used to own a VII Sport that only ever had Agip 20/60 in it's veins. One day while changing the oil I noticed a sludge remaining in the bottom of the jug so I photographed it and asked the Nth American Agip supplier what it might be, I received a prompt polite response.
For this reason I wouldn't use oil from a bulk drum that cannot be shaken, all the good stuff might be in the bottom. Shake the container if it's been sitting for a while.

Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:48 pm

The Guzzi specification is full ester synthetic oil.
The majority of synthetic motor oils sold in the UK are not a true synthetic fluid.
I think I read something about the oil circulating close to the exhaust valves on the 4v heads hence the need for a group 5 lubricant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Car engine Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car engine Oil   Car engine Oil Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Car engine Oil
Page 1 of 1