GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Lost my Left nut

Go down 
+6
il Postino
cognosticator
LBC Tenni
Bulldog9
Oz1200Guzzi
Pisano
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Just noticed Luigi forgot to torque the Holy nut on my Kickstand.  Now the nut and washer are somewhere road side Northern Ontario.

This isn't the first time...At the beginning of the season one of the bolts on the curved Sidestand Lever fell off. Luckily I noticed something didn't feel right as the sidestand was not fully deployed as I was about to get off.

Too much Bira Moretti that day for Luigi.

Shit.... this stuff can knock you and your GRiSO on it's ass! Evil or Very Mad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Good catch. Might be worth a Nylok nut on it?
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm

yeah Nylok or I'll safety wire it somehow.

Caught this one on a pre-ride check ...they actually work!  Sidestand was making an unusual clicking sound when the bike's weight went on it.

So ride won't happen tomorrow...  Don't have that size a nut to replace it.  Store's are closed for Labour day tomorrow and not going to risk a freak kickstand incident. Sad
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Shouldn't this be in the darkened recess? Shocked Laughing :-)
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Shit falling off is definitely part of the GRiSO experience. Razz
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:04 am

I went out and checked mine, yep it was loose. thanks for posting, I hadn't thought of that one.

On a track day this past February I lost the left passenger peg and one of the bolts on the kick stand arm came off and it was dragging on the pavement on left hand turns. My Italian harley LOL
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
il Postino
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
il Postino

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 am

Shit! Mine was loose too, but a little Loc-Tite is on there for good measure now.  Thank you for drawing my attention to this issue.

Italian Harley?  I haven't noticed a perpetual oil leak yet, so I am thinking the answer is no.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Nor a cacophony of horrible popping and farting to torture the living and wake the dead! Razz
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 am

loc-tite or similar is a good idea, but don't forget to check it still..... I lost mine, replaced it and lactated it, and then what th????? a year and a half later its loose again....  scratch
its got a lock washer now too!

Razz Razz Razz  love spell check!!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm gonna put a nylock on mine, lactating it sounds messy.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Let me know if you find a nylock nut that is thin enough to have the bolt threads engage the nylock bit.

My new left nut has nylock but it does not engage the nylock (has washer as well).

I think one of these might be the way to go

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:41 am

Simply grind down the other side, so there is sufficient nylon to engage
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 am

Have a 2014 with 10K miles on it. Mine was also loose. Thanks for brining it to our attention Pisano.
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:12 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Simply grind down the other side, so there is sufficient nylon to engage

BINGO! ...that's the way to do it.  Thanks Tony
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:43 pm

You beat me to it, Tony, that was going to be my suggestion too. Make sure it's a stainless nut though, otherwise it will rust after you grind it. And quench it occasionally as you grind it so you don't melt the nylon insert.

My two cents - just about what it's worth.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
il Postino
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
il Postino

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:17 pm

OR,

You can reuse the factory nut and slip in one of those multi-tooth internal or external lock washers like I did and then Loc-Tite/Lactate away!

I am betting you won't even have to go to the hardware store, like you would for the proper 15mm nyloc nut.  Any used coffee can bolt collection in North America, Europe, or from one of those upside down places in the Southern Hemisphere is liable to disgorge one of these washers, once the can is dumped out on the garage floor.

Cheap and effective.

Go forth!
Back to top Go down
bCraig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bCraig

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:10 pm

older fella that has helped me with the Norton over the years told me to fill the threads with caulking if/when I was having vibratory losses , it seems to have worked , quick easy and cheap ....
Craig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lost my Left nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost my Left nut   Lost my Left nut Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lost my Left nut
Page 1 of 1