GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cam shaft not turning

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
swordteacher
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
swordteacher

Cam shaft not turning Empty
PostSubject: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:20 pm

So I finally got a chance to buy the Bike of my dreams a 2012 GRiSO with just 2800 miles on it. Got it from a guy who picked it up because he likes Guzzis and it was a one owner bike whom he new the guy who bought and sold it. He checked it over, rode it a bit, put a new rear tire on it, changed the oil and installed a battery tender.

It was super clean, started right up and ran great. I flew to Miami and picked it up to ride it home. I rode north for a while in the rain, (couple of hundred miles) found a hotel and then rode 400 miles the next day in the clear and the heat. Was running along fine when it appeared to run out of gas. I managed to get up an on-ramp and it died not to be restarted.

I managed to get my wife to bring the Van the remaining 300 miles and we got it home. I spent the 5 hours waiting scouring the forums to determine possible problems.

I started at the fuel system expecting to find a bad filter, but it turns out someone had already done the in-tank repair. I did however find something. Inside the tank was a bunch of what I would assume is corrosion on the aluminum plate that the fuel pump is mounted to. I also found a large amount of grit of some type in the gas. I cleaned everything, ordered and put in a new filter, checked the pump, and blew the filter out to see if any particles had made it through the system. It looked as though something had as the exit port of the filter yielded some small particles. I pulled the injectors, and the left side injector broke.

I looked around and found a pair of IWP-189 injectors for the GRiSO, which it turns out are not the injectors that were originally in it, they were six hole and these are 12. I assumed that the new injectors would work though I might need to do some adjustment. I tried starting but the engine quickly hydrolocked. I took out the spark plugs and turned it over to remove any gas and it appears that the cylinder that was hydrolocking is still pushing fuel through the injector even though there is no spark. The other cylinder seems to be normal. As it turned out, that injector was bad. Through in the mismatched old injector, and it ran on one cylinder.

I checked the compression and it was zero on the right cylinder! Crap, so I pulled the rocker cover and watched as the Cam shaft did not move with the timing chain. I just went through the maint manual and see that there is supposed to be a pin to mate the shaft up. Could this have sheared. I will get into it tomorrow I hope, but wasn't ready to pull the chain tensioner parts without reading about it first.

As far as I know, the engine is stock, and one that has the roller cams from the factory after they changed. I need to do the dash sealing, I saw some condensation in the dash after the ride in the rain.

I only have about 600 miles on this bike but I love it as much as I though I would. Please help me get it running again.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Oh, man. Hard to believe a bike with so few miles could have issues like this.

Almost everything is repairable, some things just take a little longer. I'm sure others will be along to lend support and encouragement. I'm not sure which is more puzzling the fueling or the cam.

Sounds like you're taking it in stride. Keep after it.

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Botched rollerization perhaps? I seem to recall Pete (Roper) helping someone sort this problem with the pin before. If you search the forum, you may find the thread. Or you could wait for him to happen along.

Last edited by LBC Tenni on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Worth looking at the pin that locates the cam chain gear, from memory they can be assembles incorrectly and fall out, if you search on here you will find some pictures.

If the cam is not moving then the chain would have a problem too as you turned over the engine, so i would look there first.

I presume the valves are closed? and not interacting with the piston when you are turning it over!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:56 pm

Let me address this a bit later, I can probably walk you through a few possibilities.
Back to top Go down
swordteacher
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
swordteacher

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Well I took off the breather cover and found that the pin was fine but the cam bolt had sheared. It galled the end of the cam up as well. Hopefully this is the only thing wrong. Anybody recommend someplace to buy a new camshaft?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Jeez! Thats a weird one!

OK, so do you know if your bike was a flat tappet model that has been rollerised or if its a factory roller model, (Assuming it is a roller model? If its a flattie it doesn't really matter as you'd be having to swap the cam boxes and cams anyway.) If its been rollerised then whoever didd the rollerisation must of grossly over tightened the bolt. What's its engine number and has it got rollers would be the first question.

Secondly, which side is the problem on? If its the left you need to bleed down the the tensioner plunger before you unhook the sprocket otherwise its a pig to do without pulling the barrel and there is a high risk of damaging the tensor blade, you don't want to do that as replacing it is an engine out job.

As for where to source a camshaft? Well, they aint cheap. $195 from TLM and I can't find it at AF1 because their search engine doesn't recognise the number (B014576 was the original superseded to B0145765, their page doesn't recognise either.) I probably have a second hand roller camshaft in the workshop but I'll have to look.

Can you confirm that it is a roller motor first though?

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Harper has it listed for $158.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam shaft not turning   Cam shaft not turning Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cam shaft not turning
Page 1 of 1