GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO won't start

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mrwrinkle
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
mrwrinkle

GRiSO won't start  Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO won't start    GRiSO won't start  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:56 am

Hi all, ive got an 06 1100 that's giving me some huge probs! You may recall my post a good while ago (over at least a year ago) 'Sudden uncontrolled acceleration'. Well, the bike has been laid up ever since and obviously the battery is now kaput. I decided to run it up, using a car battery, but all I now get is a 'clunk' abd the dash goes blank. When first connecting any battery I am getting the code APMG0022 briefly showing on the dash. When I turn on the ignition the needle does not do a full sweep, chatters back and forth then sticks at about 1500. I have tried all the usual things, relays, earthing points, speedo sensor, ecu connectors, with no success. The bike was running ok after the 'incident' before it was laid up. I'm loath to spend any large amount of cash just to get it going, the accident damage, albeit light, has still not been repaired. Could use some help, especially if someone knows the significance of the APMG0022 code? Thanks, Mrwrinkle.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

GRiSO won't start  Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO won't start    GRiSO won't start  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 am

Yes, whatever system you are using to try and start it is inadequate.

When you are hitting the start button the current draw is dropping the voltage to below the critical level that the ECU/Dash see as being safe to avoid voltage spiking if the engine does start.

At that pint it shuts the whole system down and five or ten seconds later it re-boots. That is when you see that code on the dash.

The weird dash behaviour is probably down to the system not having been able to boot properly. Don't try to piggy-back off the old, dead, battery with jumpers or the like. Install a new one and check all the terminals and earths. Then turn it on and try to fire it up. If it's still dropping the dash out it still has an earthing problem.

If it does fire up, (New fuel please.) and the dash doesn't work correctly? Turn it off, then turn the key on again and pull the two 30A fuses and leave them out for a few minutes with the ignition on. Turn the key off and reinstall the fuses and turn it back on. If you're lucky this re-boot will sort the odd behaviour of the dash.

As for the sudden, uncontrolled acceleration? The answer remains the same. The throttle is a simple mechanical device. It can't just suddenly run away. Either there was something that jammed the throttle on, (Inadequate maintenance.) or you panicked and fucked up. Find out which and don't lie to yourself.

Pete
Back to top Go down
mrwrinkle
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
mrwrinkle

GRiSO won't start  Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO won't start    GRiSO won't start  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks Pete, I will try those things and post an update. As far as the incident is concerned, I know it sounds simple, but I have been riding for 45 years. Riding at sub 30 mph in traffic and changing into second doesn't involve opening the throttle that far, then two wheelies in less than 2 seconds, bang, bang, while closing the throttle takes some explaining. No time to pull in the clutch or hit the kill button, or panic!! I think the natural reaction of anyone under the circumstances if a bike runs away is to close the throttle. I dont accept any mechanical cause following extensive investigation both by my self and other skilled associates. I do recall a similar thing happening to an Aprillia rider.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

GRiSO won't start  Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO won't start    GRiSO won't start  Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Sorry, it can't happen. The throttle can jam open if something obstructs the linkage, although having a closing cable means this can be overridden by sheer brute force in most circumstances, but it has to be physically opened for the motor to start making power as fuel delivery is primarily controlled by the throttle position sensor on the RH throttle body. Even if the butterflies both came unrivetted at the same time allowing a massive influx of air to the motor for the AFR to be combustible the TPS would have to be in a position approximating a wide open throttle and that would require the go handle to be turned to the WFO position.

The only way a RBW Aprilia could have the same thing happen is if the signal sent to the ECU instructed the throttle plate to open. Being acutely aware of the risks of being sued the system uses a four way sensor referred to as a 'Demand Sensor' to assess throttle position. The ECU compares the signals from all four sensors and if they don't all correspond with what the map says they should be the ECU will shut the machine down. Many people who have crashed RBW Aprilias have claimed the 'It just took off!' defence. Unfortunately the ECU has a downloadable data storage function which allows for a file to be sent to WM for analysis. It's a bit like the black box data recorders used on aircraft. So far not one incident has proven credible as far as stories of the bike just 'Running away' with no input. Once again, sorry, but it can't happen.

I don't doubt that you had a scary experience but it had a simple, physical, cause. It is not possible for the bike to accelerate without input. I'd be looking very carefully for what that input was otherwise it may happen again.

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

GRiSO won't start  Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO won't start    GRiSO won't start  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:18 pm

As Pete says something jamming throttle....I've had same throttle stuck wide open due to the gearbox breather pipe getting stuck in the throttle pivot area (it comes down close by & can easy be left in position that randomly drops in throttle pivot on moving throttle)....that pipe can jam throttle full wide
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GRiSO won't start  Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO won't start    GRiSO won't start  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO won't start
Page 1 of 1