GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand

Go down 
+6
Street
Oz1200Guzzi
Bill Hagan
paulbrice
sidrat
NewApriliaGuy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Empty
PostSubject: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:55 am

So after lurking for a while, lusting for a while, and researching for a while I bought a 2007 1100 from a Guzzi enthusiast who sounded like and honest chap selling a good bike over the phone. Had the bike shipped across the country by Federal, whom I have used before and found reliable and professional.

The bike shows up early in the expected physical condition but upon picking up the bike from the shipper's terminal I checked all the fluids, the operation of major components, and the tire pressures and noted a couple of undisclosed issues:

1. The shift lever felt a little vague and,
2. The turn signal switch (and menu select buttons) didn't work at all

I judged that it would be OK to ride home and did so. For those 70 or so miles everything was fine with the exception of the two issues noted above. The next day, however, the bike was difficult to get get into gear, would slip out of gear when you did get it in and would eventually stall. I took the pork chop off to get a look at the shift lever mounting and found the mounting bolt bent and the thread into which it screws stripped so I got the bolt straightened and the pork chop re-threaded.

That took the slop out of the shift lever and it no longer slips out of gear, but when the revs climb above 3250 and/or I start riding up a slight grade the engine stutters and eventually stalls out.

The seller claims everything worked prior to shipping and suggests that the shipping company damaged the bike somehow. As there was no visible or impact damage, the lights and horn both work, and a bent bolt with stripped housing suggest the lever had been loose for a while, my guess is that the bike had these issues when shipped and they just weren't disclosed to me.

Any thoughts on what the issues might be? The MG dealer is 7 hours from me.

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:12 am

So its a process of elimination.

Does it stall at 3250 in each gear? Does it stall at 3250 when you rev it without load out of gear?

When it stumbles is it cutting out on both cylinders or one?

Have you tried running it with the fuel cap open to see if its just an air lock in the tank?
Back to top Go down
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 am

Stalls in neutral, first, and somewhat lower in second. Have not been able to get going fast enough to get beyond second.
Cutting on both cylinders.
Have not tried running with fuel cap open.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 am

Like Sidrat says (subject to assuming it's correctly tuned & balanced and TPS is reset etc) it sounds like either fuel starvation (tank breather - lift cap, fuel pipe kinked - lift tank, crap in tank - empty tank etc) or ignition breaking down under load (plug caps ripped - switch garage lights out and check).   Later down road could be timing chain slipped but Threads on sorting all these are around here somewhere & I'd start with the easy ones first.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:47 am

Long shot but easy.

Remove saddle.

See if anything is blocking air intake. BTDT. Similar symptom.

Best wishes on resolving this whatever it is.

Oh, and welcome.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:08 am

Gear changing or not. I had this once on mine when I took off the gear shift lever, and put back on one tooth out on the spline - kept hitting something solid and wouldn't go into gear properly. Rotated it one spline tooth and the problem went away.

Also had a piece of stone (presumably picked up on the road) and jammed into the gear change mechanism on top of the gearbox - right royal pain to get it out tool - I now have a piece of insertion rubber mounted under there which stops road rubbish from getting flung up there, with the added bonus of keeping the rear shock cleaner.

Let us know you outcomes.
Back to top Go down
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:17 am

I believe (and hope) Mr. Hagen is correct!

Right before I started to have the stalling issue I placed my paperwork in a plastic bag under the seat! That’s gotta be it.

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Side stand switch? I had this problem on my 1100 GRiSO years ago and that was the culprit.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Turns out the air box was clogged with the plastic bag containing my registration and insurance cards that I had placed under the seat. Doh!

As for the menu related switchgear (and turn signal switches), any color would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Menu related switchgear and turn signal switches just started working automagically one afternoon, and have worked perfectly ever since.

Unfortunately, however, both valve cover gaskets are now leaking, and the right one is did so profusely enough to have ruined a pair of riding pants and boots.

Fortunately this is an easy enough fix, and I might as well check the valve clearances and change the spark plugs while I’m at it since I’m only 2000 miles shy of the 25k mile service.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Get a pair of the Valpolini gaskets, I think MG Cycle carry them. They'll never leak again.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 am

NewApriliaGuy wrote:
I believe (and hope) Mr. Hagen is correct!

Right before I started to have the stalling issue I placed my paperwork in a plastic bag under the seat!  That’s gotta be it.

NewApriliaGuy wrote:
Turns out the air box was clogged with the plastic bag containing my registration and insurance cards that I had placed under the seat. Doh!

As for the menu related switchgear (and turn signal switches), any color would be appreciated.

Wait a minute!  Just saw this.  Don't I get a prize or something? cheers

OBTW, you Philistine, it's HagAn, not Hagen.  Sad

Seriously, saw your "Relatively" re Free State and the Selkirks mention elsewhere.  Assume former is Maryland?  If/when this way again -- the top of Virginia -- stop by the Moto Grappa.  If your GRiSO is out west, you are welcome to borrow one of my moto-harem's Guzzis.  Great roads out of my driveway.

Bill
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:50 am

Credit due Bill you called that dead correct.....not sure what the prize could be though Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:14 pm

BTDT ? (my brains nor workin)

But your prize is an old black billy and 14 rusty rabbit traps. cheers
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Hagan fixed something without breaking it first?

That's news!

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:41 pm

School of hard knocks is finally paying dividends. Onya Bill!
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Bin There Dun That BTDT Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Bill Hagan, gave you some GRiSO cred on your original post and your bald faced plea as well.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand   New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New to Me GRiSO - Issues Abound - Could Use a Hand
Page 1 of 1