GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

'16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kragdazul
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Kragdazul

'16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Empty
PostSubject: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Got my first service handled two weeks ago and have been having a grand old time on new '16 GRiSO, just hit 2800 miles with zero issues until the last few days.  It has gotten quite warm here, and I'm having some starting issues.  Not the classic Startus Interuptas, the starter turns over and everything seems fine, it just doesn't catch quickly when the ambient temps are very high.  Basically any time the dash temp shows over about 110­° F, it just cranks and cranks through the automatic start cycle and doesn't catch.  Takes anywhere from 2-4 start cycles before it gets going, and then it sounds like shit for a short while (less than a minute).  The only (engine) mod I've done thus far is installing a Beetle map, which I know is supposed to have a cold start fix, but I have a hard time believing someone in Australia wouldn't know of an issue with hot starts.

Anyone else encountered this, and possibly know of a fix?

The only other temp related quirk I've noticed is that sometimes when hot the idle seems to sit a bit high (tad under 3k).  If I stop/restart the engine, or even just let the clutch drag a bit, it comes back down.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Did you do your own service? If not, do you know what they set the valve clearances at?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Kragdazul
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Kragdazul

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 9:24 pm

First service was performed by the dealer (full line Piaggio dealer). I have the technicians checklist, though it does not indicate what the valves were adjusted to, simply that they were. If this is a likely culprit, I can certainly pop the tops and check it tomorrow. I do know she came back from service with a quieter valvetrain, and that I've had no other performance issues in the 1300 miles sincr service (including a mild track day).
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Mon May 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Please do check. Also confirm only one air bleed on the throttle bodies is open. Also check there is no oil in the airbox. Just want to be sure we have a good baseline.

No offence intended, but until proven otherwise, the technician who did the service could well be complete numpty.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Kragdazul
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Kragdazul

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Thu May 31, 2018 11:44 am

Just FYI I still haven't forgotten about this, but weather and a minor medical (carpal tunnel flaring up) have conspired to keep me from cracking her open thus far. Should be able to get back to you on the far side of the coming weekend.
Back to top Go down
Kragdazul
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Kragdazul

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:33 pm

So I checked the valve clearances, and as best I can tell they were dead on the nuts at .10 and .15.  RH air bleed screw was down tight, didn't touch the left so I didn't hurt the calibration.  Forgot to check for oil in the airbox.

I did speak to the tech at the dealer, and was told that 'hard starting after being left in the sun' is a semi-known issue affecting several Guzzi models with US emissions?  Supposedly the Guzzi evap canister setup is a bit different and doesn't include a solenoid to close it off during starting like US BMWs and Euro compliant bikes.  So when the bike is out in the sun and the fuel tank heats up, the evap canister fills up with fuel vapor since the fuel tank is vented through it.  When you go to start it, it pulls in air through the evap and you end up super rich.  Was further told there is no fix, and never will be one.  Just accept it and crank it a few times.

Anyone know if there is truth to the above, or am I being fed a line of 'go away I'm busy' bullshit?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 am

I've heard similar stories regarding the evap canister. The canister serves no useful purpose in my opinion, and is just another potential source of air leaks.

If it's truly causing the hot start issue, why not remove it completely?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Darren Williams
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Darren Williams

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Living in the southern plain states, I had this issue with both my 1200 Sport and Stelvio when it was real hot out. I found it was as described by your tech.

My solution was a canisterectomy on the 1200 Sport but on the Stelvio, I just unhooked and plugged the hose and fittings on the intakes. The issue went away immediately with both changes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot   '16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

'16 GRiSO 1200 - Starting issues when very hot
Page 1 of 1