GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

changing Diff oil

Go down 
+6
eeyore
beetle
Paggers
GuzziSteve
Pete Roper
DrPat
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DrPat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DrPat

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi all, feel I ought to put some new oil in my Diff. Been a while since I owned a shaft drive bike now - anything I ought to know/watch out for while changing it? - thanks a heap - best, Pat
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Well, apart from the fact it doesn't have a 'Diff', no. Drain at the bottom then fill to the bottom of the threads on the fill orifice. 75/90, 80/90 Full synth.

Pete

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 pm

It's a transmission. Ha, Ha (book word)
Back to top Go down
DrPat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DrPat

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:09 pm

thanks guys, obviously not rocket science, but always good to get any heads ups - bikes are weird and infinitely variable... Always called those boxes diffs myself, but what's in a name? Cheers, Pat
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:57 pm

It's not a diff! It's on a single track vehicle! What does it 'Differentiate' between?? (Rant, froth!)

Laughing
Back to top Go down
DrPat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DrPat

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:04 pm

whooo, who shat on your Christmas pudding mate?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:19 pm

You didn't notice the smiley?

Look, it isn't important but calling it a 'Diff', an abbreviation for Differential, is inaccurate and yes, it does bug me. Why? Because it's lazy and wrong.

Pete
Back to top Go down
DrPat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DrPat

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:45 pm

ohh, here we go, the usual shit on motorcycle forums where some guy who has set himself up as THE authoritah castigates people he's never met over minutiae. Kinda similar on some Triumph forums too, now I think of it. Next thing there's name calling apropos of zero knowledge or info...
I just made a simple query mate, and wind up being harassed. See you're an Aussie too - that figures...did your cricket team lose or something?

Anyway, the final drive on the back wheel of MY GRiSO is called a "Diff", maybe I'll write it on there with a texta and send you a pic to prove it. You can call yours after your poxy Aunt Jemima, knock yerself out.
Thanks for your 1st post, but you don't know me at all, and calling me lazy is sort of irritating. You'd whistle a slightly more polite tune if we are eye to eye, I wager...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh dear. Veiled threats. How very tedious. Call it whatever you like, I giveth not a fig. I still say calling it something it isn't is lazy and inaccurate but I'm not wadding my panties over it.

Pete

PS. I am certainly not authoritarian! Although I suspect you meant 'Authority'? And no, I don't set myself up as one but the fact is I do know more about the 8V and CARC bikes than most other people because over the last twelve years they have been my main stock and trade and I'd wager I know a damn sight more about them tham pretty much anyone else. Whether you choose to believe that is entirely up to you.
Back to top Go down
Paggers
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Paggers

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:22 am

Tch, some people just can't stand to be corrected, even when they're obviously wrong. Usually the same people that take offense way too easily.
Back to top Go down

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:15 am

Oops! I've always called it a diff, thought it was funny Guzzi called it a tranny or gear box, always thought that was the other bit in the middle. Please forgive me Pete, I never knew the diff(erence).

Hey every day is a school day, even at 61. Wink
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:48 am

Am I allowed to say "bevel box"? Question

Shocked

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 am

You're allowed to say 'Magic Box that go Straighty-Sideways driven by Miraculous Unicorn' for all the fucks I give but it's not a differential! That being the case why describe it as such?

Arse!
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:39 am

Perhaps if the guy had a look at how an automotive differential worked and why vehicles use them they would understand the difference between the bevel drive and a differential.

Or maybe an LSD type differential would get better traction in snow and mud!

One other point, it is a good idea to change the sealing washers that sit under the fill/drain plugs. Personally I recommend aluminium washers as the provide a good seal with a low to medium torque.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 am

From a purely politically correct position (not that i am at all) I am glad to know i now have a part of my bike that makes transgenders inclusive and will forevermore call mine a "tranny" Shocked
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 am

it makes a change from it being called a C*nt all the time when it goes wrong, or me shouting at it in my helmet "will you stop dicking about" when it wont go where pointed.

Dont get me started on the colour.........
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 am

I have a bottle of pink oil waiting to go in my tranny.......
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

If it's pink it will surely foam up. Hey, I'm not going there. I'll bet we lost the OP but I hope not. He could do worse. Thumbs Up on changing the rubberized crushers to aluminum.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I feel the love Bros.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Shush now, c a r d a n, there I said it.

Now ducks for cover furtively...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Roundy-Roundy Go Stick Bilong Brum-Brum!

Do I have to add a laughing emoji? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 pm

You crack me up Pete...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:06 pm

I rather like "Magic box that goes straighty-sideways".

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:46 pm

New terms in the modern vernacular are seldom welcomed, nor make any sense. But this one just might fly!
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 pm

That device beneath the CARC scrip.

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

changing Diff oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: changing Diff oil   changing Diff oil Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

changing Diff oil
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next