GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Custom front turn signal mod

Go down 
+4
kiwi dave
Richard
MrGPz
GuZeee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

Custom front turn signal mod Empty
PostSubject: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Since I got my GRiSO in July 2017, I’ve been thinking about what to do with the turn signals. The stock plastic fake chrome was all pitted and ugly, and I was not thrilled with the look of the turn signals in general. Plus, at least on USA models, the front signals stick way out on ungainly extensions.

I had already replaced the rears with steel bullet style ones that I am really happy with. But the fronts have remained the one missing piece of my puzzle... until now!

I got these fairly inexpensive LED units that came with red aluminum spacer/adapter shims. I was stumped as to how to mount them but figured out a simple solution that worked surprisingly well. I had to install load resistors, which are quite large but fit behind the headlight (there is a surprising amount of open space back there).

What do you think? If anyone is interested, I will post a link to the product and instructions on how I installed them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Also, they are SUPER bright! That photo with it ON is in direct bright California sunshine and it stands out. In the dark garage you have to look away when these suckers are flashing Smile
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Looks good, the red matches the top of the forks!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:46 pm

MrGPz wrote:
Looks good, the red matches the top of the forks!

Thanks! Yeah the red works really well; I wasn’t sure about the red but with the little red bits here and there on the bike it looks like it’s made for it.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Turn signals: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Red adapter shims: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Look great. Yes the red adapter is a nice artistic touch Wink but I am not so enthusiastic with the mirrors.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Richard_HdS wrote:
Look great. Yes the red adapter is a nice artistic touch Wink but I am not so enthusiastic with the mirrors.

Is it bar-end mirrors in general you dislike, or these ones in particular? They were on the bike when I got it, and I far prefer them to the stock mirrors or others in the usual position. From a head-on view they do seem to stick out, but in general I think they look cool, and give good rear visibility. But if there are better bar-end mirrors I’m always open to improvements Smile
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes you are right, I am not so enthusiastic with bar-end mirrors in general. Probably this is due to the city heavy traffic where I leave because it’s not very convenient to drive with those mirrors between the cars.

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:18 pm

I agree, I don't like bar end mirrors.  As well as the lane splitting issues, the mirrors are too far away from the rider's eyes to see very much.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Likewise I've never been a fan of bar ends but where and what mirrors are used is always going to be a very personal choice.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:19 am

The indicators are a nice improvement-well done
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:22 am

GHTE wrote:
The indicators are a nice improvement-well done

Thanks GHTE!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:07 am

i too am with the red bits on indicators, i shall add them to my modification list, along with a new headlight to modernise the front end.

Still need to find a fairing/Screen that is efficient as the taller standard GRiSO one, but that looks better..
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:54 pm

sidrat wrote:
i too am with the red bits on indicators, i shall add them to my modification list, along with a new headlight to modernise the front end.

Still need to find a fairing/Screen that is efficient as the taller standard GRiSO one, but that looks better..

Ooh, please let us know when you change the headlight so we can see what you’ve come up with. I have been considering an LED headlight but not seen anything I like yet.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:05 pm

GuZeee wrote:
sidrat wrote:

Ooh, please let us know when you change the headlight so we can see what you’ve come up with. I have been considering an LED headlight but not seen anything I like yet.

See the LED headlight thread! I finally found one I like and figured out how to make it work with the stock headlight shell.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:05 pm

I like the look of those lights and the red spacer combo; a very natural looking set-up. Which resistors did you go with? Any install photos....sorry but I'm a visual learner and seeing how things were done makes more sense to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:24 pm

DangWangi wrote:
I like the look of those lights and the red spacer combo; a very natural looking set-up. Which resistors did you go with? Any install photos....sorry but I'm a visual learner and seeing how things were done makes more sense to me. Smile

Thanks, I’m really happy with them. I don’t have photos of the installation, but I can tell you how I did it. I used the stock turn signal stocks, cut the ends off, and the threaded ends of the new turn signals screwed right into the rubber! It attached really firmly with no epoxy or anything needed. I could take some close up photos of how it is attached if that helps.

For the resistors, I needed them right away so paid way too much and picked them up at O’Reillys auto parts store. They were around $17, almost as much as the turn signals! They fit behind the headlight bucket, strapped down with zip ties.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom front turn signal mod   Custom front turn signal mod Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Custom front turn signal mod
Page 1 of 1