GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Here's a strange one!

Go down 
+3
GuZeee
beetle
Pete Roper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Here's a strange one! Empty
PostSubject: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Now you may remember a few months ago, probably a year or more actually, I had a 1200 Sport 8V in that had a faulty oil pump gear that was full of voids and which had stripped its teeth off? Luckily I caught that and no damage was done but while we had the front off it replacing the gear with the earlier steel version we found this!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now why the inside of the timing chest should be painted at all is a question you'll have to ask whichever Piaggio wonk thought it was a good idea but I thought that it's peeling and flaking like that was most likely a preparation issue rather than a paint issue entirely. Anyway we dropped the sump and cleaned all the strainers on the pick ups and got the inside of the timing chest blasted before we reassembled it so it was all good. After all it's not something I'd seen before or since........

Until now! :sad:

A few months ago I rollerised another Sport belonging to a bloke who lives out west, Orange I think from memory. As part of the process I would of dropped the sump for a decent clean out and there was certainly nothing that looked like loose sheets of paint drifting around and the strainers were clean. Just before Christmas though I got the call. It had blown up spectacularly while he was giving it a bit of a hurry-up. Dropping the sump revealed lots of big end frag but he then left it until Christmas/New Year was over to explore further.

Yesterday he sent me some pics. Have a look at 'em. You can see the culprit as clear as the nose on your face.....

This one really tells a tale.....

Most of this crap is bits of big-end shell but you can also see the sheets of paint.

Thing is BOTH of these Sports are red, pre ABS, machines from memory and I'll put my one remaining swinger on them being from the same batch run of bikes. Whether the oil starvation is purely down to the strainer on the pick up for the lubrication circuit being blocked by paint or whether I'll find that the oil pump gear is faulty as well I won't know until we open up the timing chest.

It is most vexing.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Arse!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Indeed! She done be torched good!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Yikes! How bizarre that some would be painted like that. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a common issue like the tappets!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't think so otherwise I'd have dozens of dead 8V's in the shop.i think it was just a short run of Sports.
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 am

Vexing indeed. Was Mario moved from the rear swingarm lube shop to the Timing Chest shop and had an overspray issue?
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:35 pm

gulp..... I've got a pre ABS Red Sport.....  Shocked  Shocked

but its a 2V A2        Wink

but I'll be dropping the sump at next opportunity...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Hey Pat, doesn't yours feature randomly selected parts from the '83-'85 parts bin?

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 am

Pete: Shit, that's something created just to piss you off. The people in the design room must dream up this stuff while on some serious drugs. Fuck, it's such a simple fool proof design, until the Fools try to improve on it Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Gulp and Holy Crap - mine is a non-abs red 1200 Sport Corsa 8V. Is it worth me dropping it back down to you to have a poke around it Pete ? You serviced it a couple of months ago ?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:42 pm

No, I really don't think so but do keep an eye open for any oil pressure warnings or her 'Oil Can' motif on the dash.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 pm

haha, has randomly selected parts from many bins I suspect...
even has a GRiSO rear caliper and disc Razz Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's a strange one!   Here's a strange one! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Here's a strange one!
Page 1 of 1