GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rounded valve cover hex head

Go down 
+6
Bulldog9
OldMojo
kiwi dave
sideshowbob
Pete Roper
Kathakali
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

Rounded valve cover hex head  Empty
PostSubject: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Goddamn valve cover screw is rounded. How do I get it out ?

At my wits end
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Get the Torx bit that just slips inand hammer it in then carefully turn the bolt out. Put some anti seize on the new ones and don't over tighten them.

Make sure you use the correct tampons for your bike.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Small sharp chisel, so it can bite into that groove at an angle. Tap tap tap, it will come out.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 pm

I've had some luck with left-handed drills. Try and get the center with a small drill, and then increase the size. If it still doesn't loosen, use a 1/4" one to take the top off the bolt, and then with the cover removed, hopefully can get a pair of vice-grips on the remainder.
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm

Here's my method, in addition to the other fine suggestions:

Use a center punch for locating drill bits, and make a nice healthy divot on a place on the bolt head with some clean real estate. The closer to the edge the better, but far enough inboard that you don't peen the outer circumference out. Three good whacks, depending on material. Then angle the punch so it's pointing counter-clockwise, and make some firm, measured taps in the direction of removal. If you start to deform your divot without the bolt breaking free, repeat at another clean spot on the bolt head.

I work on industrial machinery and have to do this A LOT! This works on probably 80% of the broken bolts I have to deal with, and is particularly effective on bolts that have broken off flush.

Use patience and care, (and plenty of spray lube) and chase the bolt out with the center punch - the extractors stay in the tool box, as God intended.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:30 pm

+1 on the Torx suggestion. You can also use a dremel to cut a slot across the top and use a flathead screwdriver.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:43 am

These screws don't seem particularly well made.
I always use good quality tools but the hex key doesn't feel like a good fit.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:12 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
............I've had some luck with left-handed drills..............
This^^^
Never failed me yet, and since it's not likely that these valve cover bolts are torqued down to humongous specs, It will come out easy for you.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Grisonut wrote:
kiwi dave wrote:
............I've had some luck with left-handed drills..............
This^^^
Never failed me yet, and since it's not likely that these valve cover bolts are torqued down to humongous specs, It will come out easy for you.

I have to agree with this. I used a left-handed drill to remove a valve cover bolt stem of which the head had snapped off. Worked like a charm.
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:37 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
Small sharp chisel, so it can bite into that groove at an angle. Tap tap tap, it will come out.

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Go with Petes suggestion first me thinks. Don't ask how I know this is the easiest and best way.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rounded valve cover hex head    Rounded valve cover hex head  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rounded valve cover hex head
Page 1 of 1